The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
logic + macbook + uln-2 = budget nirvana?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

logic + macbook + uln-2 = budget nirvana?

i run nuendo on a pc w/ ppi and powercore + outboard at my studio...

thinking of an alternate setup for home/mobile use... this is all i plan to get...

metric halo uln-2
2GHz 13" macbook w/1Gig ram
apple logic 7.x
2 x akg c414 xls (stereo pair)
lacie 7200rpm firewire drive

with this setup i plan to do:

1. 'true' stereo location recordings
2. electronic music composition and scoring for indie films
3. solo recordings and overdubs
4. mixing

the music is likely to be relatively minimalist, i expect to run 10-12 virtual insts + 10-12 audio tracks with requisite plugins.

my questions...

* logic is the best 'comprehensive' software deal - true or false....
meaning if i don't plan to invest in 3rd party software, logic covers more bases with higher quality and versatility than cubase or other... this is with specific reference to virtual synths and fx.

* is there a better setup you can think of for the same sort of money?

* will this setup have enough power to do what i plan.

* when i need more processing power i can just stack up mac-minis and network them to the macbook using distributed audio processing... correct?

thanks for any inputs
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

yep, logic will run fine w its softsynth. they are really cool. it has the ES2 synth , sculpture plud vocode. for electronic music its defenitly a must.

i usually use 3rd party orchestra sounds.

1. 'true' stereo location recordings

rexords fine

2. electronic music composition and scoring for indie films

great synths and samplers. great for midi and has score edit as well.
can open quicktime movies

3. solo recordings and overdubs

normal. could use playlist but oh well. its synth are cool
folder tracks like nuendo, not as good though but its there.
4. mixing

people dont like em audio procesors in logic but i think they do the job if u learn how to use em. the convolution reverb is up there with altiverb. and most plugs have sidechains. and the multiband compressor is my favorite.
the synths have sidechain inputs also.

the amp simulator in logic is good. i think bettr than guitar rig. but less features. but you have tons of more efxs.

with logic yull start makin a song in hours. get a couple of3rd party samples like
vengeance collection from www.vengeance.de
those are definitlythe best.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

That is an awesome set-up that will let you do all you need and more!

Just keep in mind one little detail concerning external drives...

If you are planning to get one of those ultra-compact slimline La Cie drives (the Porsche designed ones) there is not enough power (at least on my 12" PB) to power it over USB, meaning you will either need to power it with an adapter or chain it over Firewire to the ULN-2 and provide some sort of external juice to that.

Of course, none of this is a problem if you keep the La Cie drive for studio use only and record to the internal drive when out in the field - it only applies if you are wanting to record to this particular external drive 'in the field'.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies.... i'm particularly keen on the answer to the following question as i'm a complete newbie to the platform...

distributed audio processing:
does it work? are there additional latency issues? is it as simple as stacking up mac minis and connecting them over ethernet?

thanks.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Head

I have Logic - and run it on a 12 powerbook, 15 macbook pro and a G5.

I have not tried distrubuted processing because frankly I haven't reached the limit of the G5 and I am too lazy/busy to try it just for kicks.

But here is what I have learned:
Go to the apple.com Logic forum - people obsess over track counts and loads and post almost by the minute what different combos of equipment get.

The EX24 and one other instrument (can't remember which) can't be distrbuted.

ONLY apple logic plugins for now can be distributed.

From what I read the intel Mac Minis are awesome for just that use.

Think of the mac mini as a powercore for your apple logic native plugins. Supposed to be easy simple and good.

If I have time this weekend I will try it - got another mac user coming over and we want to just go crazy stress testing virtual synths etc.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Great setup except for 2 very important things. You should definetly max out the memory. Logic will run much better with higher headroom. Skip the lacie drives. The ports don't hold up and the drives they use inside are bleh. I would definetly buy a OWC drive with a seagate inside. www.otherworldcomputing.com Quantegy also just put out a drive that is solid as a rock. Rugged case and seagate inside and every kind of port you need. I definetly think logic is the best bang for your buck software. It comes with the most useful plug bundle I have encountered.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

+1 for the OWC drives.thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search