The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is My 002r Dead??
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Is My 002r Dead??

My 002r will not boot up. The "Mute" light is the only thing lit on the front panel, and does nothing when pushed. The usual 3-click startup routine does not occur. When the firewire cable is plugged in, the "link" light glows for 1 second and then goes out. No other lights operate, and PT does not see it, so I cannot do anything.

I've tried: different power cords, different outlets and circuits, different computers (G4 laptop and G4 tower, both with PT installed), different firewire cables. All give the same result: no startup clicks and just the mute button light glowing, mocking me.

Of course I have a huge session in next week. Is there anything I can do, or am I screwed? I've had the thing for nearly 2 years with no problems...

Thanks,

Greg

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Power harness, that sucks.
Old 26th May 2006
Lou Judson
Call digi. You need a replacement power supply and/or power harness. Common problem, happen to everyone, usually the week after the warrenty expires. You are lucky - you got two years out of it first!

They will replace it for free, if you registered it. I have two extra PS's they sent me, they both still work. I think it is the cheap aluminium connectors that go bad.

Chinese manufatcuring, and cost cutting in the higher echelons of Digidesign, are the culprits, along with typical bottom line corporate profit mongering.

All that aside, mine does help me make a living affordably!

<L>
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey thanks guys! thumbsup

I figured it was a power supply issue, but I had no clue as to what to do. I'll call them tomorrow, and/or maybe Coastal Recording will have some PS laying around they can give me, since I'm buying a bunch of stuff for the gig I have next week, lol.

Thanks!

Greg

Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Digi will send you a new power harness (for free), and you'll have to replace it yourself.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Head

It's more than likely just the power "harness"; not the power "supply". Otherwise, it probably wouldn't power up or light the mute led at all. If memory serves me, it's just a Y configured bunch of cables with plugs resembling the power connections on a hard drive. In fact, mine acted up and i unplugged the connections and shot a bit of cleaner on them. It worked again for almost 6 months.

When it DID act up again and Digi sent the replacement, it took me longer to open and close my 002 than to actually replace the harness.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, you don't have to call digi to get up and running. You just have to pop the top, unplug the power harness (which is a bundle of colored wires that terminate in a multi-pin plug) and clean the contacts, then plug it back in and get back to work.

Whether you want to take the extra step and call Digi is up to you, but if you don't want to spend more than half an hour in downtime, just do the deal.

Most of the time unplugging and replugging it is enough. I've never installed the replacement one.

The issue is that the contacts get a buildup of oxidation, especially in humid areas.

But the solution couldn't be easier.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Hey, you don't have to call digi to get up and running. You just have to pop the top, unplug the power harness (which is a bundle of colored wires that terminate in a multi-pin plug) and clean the contacts, then plug it back in and get back to work.

Whether you want to take the extra step and call Digi is up to you, but if you don't want to spend more than half an hour in downtime, just do the deal.

Most of the time unplugging and replugging it is enough. I've never installed the replacement one.

The issue is that the contacts get a buildup of oxidation, especially in humid areas.

But the solution couldn't be easier.
Thanks! I'm on hold with Digi as I type this. Let's see if I can open it up whilI wait...

G
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Smile

HEY!! It worked!!

While on hold I merely unlatched and re-latched every power connection. Plugged it in and VIOLA, it powered up! Must have been the damp weather we've had here in LA recently. I feel stupid for not trying this as part of the troublee-shooting routine. DOH!

I guess waiting for 1/2 an hour on hold does have its benefits!

Greg
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis
HEY!! It worked!!

While on hold I merely unlatched and re-latched every power connection. Plugged it in and VIOLA, it powered up! Must have been the damp weather we've had here in LA recently. I feel stupid for not trying this as part of the troublee-shooting routine. DOH!

I guess waiting for 1/2 an hour on hold does have its benefits!

Greg
badaboom!
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Cool! Thanks Max! I keep plugin and un-plugin my harness every 4 months or so. stike
Old 27th May 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Judson
Chinese manufatcuring,
and cost cutting in the higher echelons of Digidesign, are the culprits,
along with typical bottom line corporate profit mongering.
<L>

Good to see there are Others that are Not Oblivious to this :
"What is the Most we can we get away with "
corporate profit Approach ...
And people call that the "standard" ....
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep

Good to see there are Others that are Not Oblivious to this :
"What is the Most we can we get away with "
corporate profit Approach ...
And people call that the "standard" ....
Right! After looking inside this thing (002r), it's easy to see how they are making money on it. Everything is low-low mid grade in there. Reminds me more of a cheap Best-Buy Sony receiver more than a piece of serious recording gear. I was really suprised to see that there are only 2 huge cheap circuit boards supporting everything! And the power supply transformer looks tiny and cheap.

Greg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search