The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves "NLS" (in use-discussion) Saturation Plugins
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

Waves "NLS" (in use-discussion)

Hello sumslutz,

hereby the 'official' thread about your in-use experiences of the Waves NLS plugin. Please share your thought here, like:

- using the plugins presets, how do they sound (and the differences in sounds between them)
- any real life comparison between the hardware mixers its modeled after (SSL4000, EMI and Neve) and the plugin presets
- any comparison between Waves NLS and their counterparts (like VCC bundle)
- tax on your computer (describe your pc/mac setup). So how may instances per processor/core?
- any ideas to improve the plugin/what are you missing?

Let's mix and share!!!
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

First contact :

WAVES NLS First Contact - YouTube

Sorry for this quik non prepared, edited and scriped video ...but just a quik way to hear the sonic print of those !!
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Does anyone know what the metering is scaled to? I know it says it's a dBFS meter, but what is 0dBVU on the plug?
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

ok after an actual test ....we clearly hear what's going on in the 3D space ....really non linear !!

My center is no more dead center feel ...!

So defintly some to mix in !! (like always) do not put it after a mix !
Old 11th April 2012
Here for the gear

@ Jeezo I loved the video! But when you used the Waves Channel version, the Noise button wasn't on so there was really no harmonics added to the signal. But it was on on the Waves Buss version. Just giving you heads up.
Old 11th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Does anyone know what the metering is scaled to? I know it says it's a dBFS meter, but what is 0dBVU on the plug?
I don't think there is a simulated 0VU

you use the drive knob to increase THD you don't get it from hitting the input. At least that's my impression from playing with this for the last couple of hours
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valayah View Post
@ Jeezo I loved the video! But when you used the Waves Channel version, the Noise button wasn't on so there was really no harmonics added to the signal. But it was on on the Waves Buss version. Just giving you heads up.
I don't use waves but I have tried them before and if I recall, "noise" doesn't add harmonics but a type of noise floor/hiss kind of thing. Now it's possible that's changed since, this was a few years ago but that's what the "noise" button was all about.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
I don't think there is a simulated 0VU

you use the drive knob to increase THD you don't get it from hitting the input. At least that's my impression from playing with this for the last couple of hours
Ah, OK. If that's the case, I wish there were a way to switch between a dBFS and a VU meter...
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
I don't use waves but I have tried them before and if I recall, "noise" doesn't add harmonics but a type of noise floor/hiss kind of thing. Now it's possible that's changed since, this was a few years ago but that's what the "noise" button was all about.
Not sure that applies to this plugin - although it certainly does to the SSL and V-Series plugins (even in the Waves tutorial on them, the presenter says that, but he does also say that on the API emus the ANALOG button adds harmonics)

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as the ANALOG on the emus might have been a "gimick" but harmonics are kind of a major component to this plugin and those like it.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

i think the VCC sounds better from what i can hear not much difference in the sound bypassed?
Old 11th April 2012
Here for the gear

Almost bought the Slate Digital VCC when I suddenly got the NLS email from waves. Would like to hear your opinion on which sounds better. I'm going to try it too.
I know it's foolish, but the user interface doesn't look cool. I wish waves made a better interface to amuse me while mixing. )
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
First contact :

WAVES NLS First Contact - YouTube

Sorry for this quik non prepared, edited and scriped video ...but just a quik way to hear the sonic print of those !!
Thanks for the video. Which spectrum analyzer did you use?
Old 11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

the diffrenece are not subtile at all ...to compare drive them hot ...then go back to normal ..use ....

the noise knob is not hyped like the one i always turn off in other waves plugins ....

Gonna have to try a neve console (real ) that we have at the SAE ....to really check ....

But this do remeber me old dayz ....

Onze day i gave an engineeer a song (early 90) and at the studio (ssl 4000g) i told him : why have you changed the kick ...he said " i did nothing" ...co i said pull off all efects eq , comp ....he said : done already ...

I was like damn !! this reminds me what i just heard ...

Just learn and where to use it ...

For me , if i take it it's gonna be more like :

Drums : SSL
Intruments : EMI drived real low
Voice : Neve light drive
FX: EMI drived real low , HPF and center killed a little

Master : SSL Duende +NLS SSL
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Jezzo, i really liked your long first video. VERY GOOD!

Im kinda surprised on how the NLS when pushed very hard, the stereo spread is very intense. I noticed it in your video, that the kick and snare almost spread so far left/right, that they didnt sound mono/center anymore. Maybe they went overboard with the crosstalk too much on this plugin?

The NLS also seemed to have more distortion characteristics when you compared it to the VCC.

Overall, its seemed to have more crosstalk and more distortion. Kinda sounds like a VCC pushed WAY over the edge. Like VCC can go to "10" ......but NLS can go to "11".
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

yep i really think the crosstalk is really here !! even on the mono version !!
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
yep i really think the crosstalk is really here !! even on the mono version !!
I don't think that's crosstalk, you're just clipping it like crazy....
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

nope even really soft (drive negativily)
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

thanks Jeez
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

you're welcome amigo ....i heavy testing this on diffrent material .....this shines on acoustic drums !!
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

ok here's the last but most important video :

Wave NLS Real Test ... - YouTube

the issue i was having in previous videos with the pan and stereo wierdness was due to the dual/mono switch set by default
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

For anyone wondering about the differences between the individual channel modeling, try running a drum bus (kick, snare, hat) through the MIKE emulation while toggling from 1-32 through the channels. Do this with the DRIVE knob all the way up. It also helps to use drums with some ambience rather than dry. The differences aren't subtle, although in common use it would of course be less audible.

It seems the SPIKE and NEVO emulations are more subtle among channels, but there are variations.

I think Waves did a good job with this.

-SD
Old 12th April 2012
Here for the gear

if you dont drive it your barely hear anything change, which is a real difference to the VCC
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Addict

Not a fan of what "Nevo" and "Mike" does to the stereo field.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

That Real Test-video... WOW!!! This thing sounds magic!
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Are u guys using in dual mono or stereo. Cant figure which one to use
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear
Sweet!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

hey jay , you own me a 1176 video !!
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

nls metal mix

Waves NLS - Metal Mix - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search