The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2012 Best Reverb PLug ins until now.
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Could a Kind Soul maybe do a shootout of PSP and VVV or Phoenix on piano? and post here wavs?
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I'm a fan of convolution reverbs (plate, halls, you name it) and plugging in some of the Bricasti or Lex IRs and letting the machine do its trick. I really believe the Bricasti IRs are outstanding, and many of you are probably privvy to the charades that went on regarding their release (essentially free, though Acustica originally had other ideas.)

I'd like to check out Altiverb specifically for some orchestral projects, but I honestly cannot tell a big difference among the others. Liquid Sonics' & Logic's Space Designer both have good interfaces, good engineering, and most importantly sound good as heck. I'd really like someone to do a blind test on one of them vis a vis the one of the Lex models (there are multiple IRs out there) or the M7. The fella who made the originals did so in a very tenatious, comprehensive manner:

"About 12 years ago I sat down and recorded a complete set of impulse responses from the legendary & industry standard Lexicon 480L digital reverb unit. The reason for doing this was so that I could have a โ€œvirtualโ€ Lexicon 480L inside the box in my Pro Tools rig via Audio Easeโ€˜s excellent Altiverb plug-in." -- Lexicon 480L Free Impulse Responses For Space Designer - Logic Pro Expert

THey too are availble for Waves & Space Designer. They're quite well done, and Acustica actually took their samples thinking they'd be released commercially. The powers that be agreed to disagree, and a major product was released under the condition there was no charge. Hence we have the M7s.

If you have not checked them out, they're terrific. I feel like I have more direct control with convolution, almost like it's an extension of hardware, and from my perspective the library is huge (Eventide & Other IRs recently have been added too,) and I don't need to know the algorithm is happening inside my computer. If it sounds good, checks in well, and does the job well-- and for me much more easily-- I'm very much sold on the convolution value prop. Many disagree, many, but a good convolution reverb with a great IR can sound as good, or better, than any algo in my opinion.

It's probably not the most poplular opinion, but some agree of course too. Just not the devs.

Here is some press from 2014: Liquid Sonics is mentioned, and Altiverb of course is too: http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...plugins-603404

Given the fact that Space Designer comes with Logic, and Cubase has their own version that I hear is equally as good, it isn't a very popular thing to say or promote on a site that caters to gear heads and engineers, but even up against Liquid Sonics or Waves the same holds. Many know SD used to sell for upwards of $450 USD on its own.

My prediction is the next "wave" of high end reverbs to make a big splash will be massively treakable and massively easy to use concolution reverbs. No one since Altiverb has really offered a major high end product in the mid-range / upper end consumer to pro market. H-Reverb was a twist.

Why make it more difficult than you have to as the jury is out as to which sounds better regardless, and I happen to like the convolution hands down-- with "live" IRs of "real spaces & places" or IRs of analog emulations, as with the Lexicons or Eventides.

As is, for many people, SD can come as close to Altiverb as needed and the cost is minimal, again not a popular subject on Gearslutz.
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I didn't think the Bricasti M7 IR's sounded anything like what I've heard from the real M7. But I did like them in their own right, as a usable sound for mixing.
Old 12th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
Could a Kind Soul maybe do a shootout of PSP and VVV or Phoenix on piano? and post here wavs?
I did that shootout but with guitar/percussion/vocals...

Since those reverbs are tweakable ( VVV comes with 15 reverb Algos....)
you should really download the Demos and try it yourself.
Its so much a matter of taste and everyone will adjust the reverbs different to his liking.
Posting some wav files might give a false impression - I might choose a preset/algo that you dont like.
All mentioned reverbs are really good!

Here are some of my impressions:

VVV - is very versatile, can get those grainy, cloudy 70/80s vintage tails, but it can as well sound quite clean and smooth
(e.g. Smoothplate in "now" mode")

PSP 2445 - nice shiny, dense tail - without ringing artefacts but with lots of modulation. On a Piano it will give u some chorus FX.
Would not use it on classical stuff...for pop pianos it might be suitable.

Phoenixverb
- very suitable for classical/acoustic sources. clean, natural sounding reverb.

Phoenixverb doesnt really compare well with PSP2445 and VVV.
R2 would be more similar - with its modulation option.
ValhallaRoom would be more comparable to Phoenixverb
Check out 2CAudio reverbs (Andrew Souter: The Idea Of You)

For natural/classical Piano Reverbs I would choose between:
ValhallaRoom, Phoenixverb, 2Caudio-B2

For Pop Piano sounds you might try
VVV, R2, PSP2445, 2Caudio-B2
Old 24th July 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
Old 12th April 2017 | Show parent
Deleted User
Do you need ITB reverb that sounds like Bricasti M7?

Take Aether plugin, and my preset for Aether "Berliner Hall" in the attachment.

Put this preset on the dry part of this demo above... :o
Adjust right %...
Here is how it sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/user-76382716...-hall-bricasti
Attached Files
Old 12th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Do you need ITB reverb that sounds like Bricasti M7?
If so, you need Seventh Heaven.
The wait is almost over
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I see this old topic continues...so I give a little update to my post above.
Meanwhile I finished that classical guitar production.
On the final mix we used a mixture of two reverbs.
Some Phoenixverb early reverb patterns
with the tail from Relab VSR-24

We are very happy with the results! (even got a nomination for some classic award )

Atm my main Reverbs are the R4 and the VSR-24.
Dont see anything, that I couldnt "cover" with those two
Old 13th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

IMHO the Lexicon Native Reverb Bundle is hard to beat. It sounds amazing and its extensive and well organized presets library makes it very easy for the non-tweaker to find what is needed.

Last edited by GrabtharsHammer; 16th April 2017 at 06:05 PM..
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
SSL X-verb, very very very lush, got that lexicon midrange that glues and wraps around the sound.
Old 13th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
SSL X-verb, very very very lush, got that lexicon midrange that glues and wraps around the sound.
Lots of great reverbs here... but, if I could only gave one, it would be this mighty Duende!
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
UAD EMT140 Plate reverb, Valhalla Room Verb for all-round and recently got the valhalla shimmer.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
As a former reverb junkie, we've kind of settled in on tweaked versions of the Eventide Ultraverb Plates and the 6000 vocal presets in Slate's Liquid. Reminds me of the old days of getting a Lexicon patch you liked and sticking with it, rarely tweaking much. Putting each track in this space or that wasn't an option and generally got lost in a busing mix except for the most trained ears.
Old 14th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Fabilter
Old 16th April 2017 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
If so, you need Seventh Heaven.
The wait is almost over
Hey Men, Nice Shot

Last edited by Den; 17th April 2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 17th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
As a former reverb junkie, we've kind of settled in on tweaked versions of the Eventide Ultraverb Plates and the 6000 vocal presets in Slate's Liquid. Reminds me of the old days of getting a Lexicon patch you liked and sticking with it, rarely tweaking much. Putting each track in this space or that wasn't an option and generally got lost in a busing mix except for the most trained ears.
Hi, I love the ultraverb as well. Would you mind sharing what kind of tweak you do to the ultraverb?

Thanks!!
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Virsyn Reflect, UAD EMTs- both of them, Vahalla Vintage Verb, and Abbey Roads Plates - if it wasn't so harsh on CPU, it would take the cake over all of the others.

There are a lot of reverbs mentioned here that I've never tried, so take this w a grain of salt.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
For me all I need is Relab LX480 and VSR S24, and Lexicon Native PCM plugs. And occasionally I use IRCAM SPAT.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Actually I have noticed the Abbey Road Plates currently on sale for $80.

Abbey Road Reverb Plates Plugin | Waves

It's a bit of a CPU killer but is extremely smith and desnse if that's anyone's thing. It can be too metallic "plate" sounding for some uses, but there are plenty of things I dig using it on. That saturation is very characteristic too.
Old 19th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Actually I have noticed the Abbey Road Plates currently on sale for $80.

Abbey Road Reverb Plates Plugin | Waves

It's a bit of a CPU killer but is extremely smith and desnse if that's anyone's thing. It can be too metallic "plate" sounding for some uses, but there are plenty of things I dig using it on. That saturation is very characteristic too.
Yea the Waves Abbey Road's Plates are special. Definitely the best plate I've heard thus far. It's very surprising Waves has such a big sale on such a high quality reverb. I bought Waves ARP reverb when it was on sale for only $99 (regualar price $249) and now it's a greater sale at $79 . Waves made a powerfull statement with this reverb IMV.
Old 19th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
For me all I need is Relab LX480 and VSR S24, and Lexicon Native PCM plugs. And occasionally I use IRCAM SPAT.
Great list, I would also add Exponential Audio R2 and R4 too. They are at a similar level and have a different sort of character If you're a Focusrite owner, don't miss out on R2 free this month!!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply