The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chris Lord-Alge/ Waves SSL 4000 Presets Consoles
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Chris Lord-Alge/ Waves SSL 4000 Presets

Just checked my mail and found that Chris Lord has given Waves some presets for owners of the SSL bundle. I downloaded it but havent checked it out yet. Just figured I would pass this info along.thumbsup

Here is more info on the waves page. http://waves.com/content.asp?id=2055

Peace
Eddie
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Nice, let us know the settings, so maybe even not SSL users can benefit :-)
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT User
Just checked my mail and found that Chris Lord has given Waves some presets for owners of the SSL bundle. I downloaded it but havent checked it out yet.
I am currently demoing the SSL bundle. Love the mix buss compressor, it's fantastic! Unfortunately Waves will only allow you to download the Chris Lord-Alge presets if you are a registered owner of the SSL bundle. So I can't get them

But serious thumbs up on the software!

J.D.
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

Hey
I was Just thinking of Getting the SSL 4000 Bundle. I have Uad and Nomad Factory Studio Ess. Altie Verb, Dp 4.6 + Cubase SX3 and looking for some plugs to bounce me up every more closer to that yea!!!!!!!! thats what I needed. Looking for the shimmer in the High end. I know I can down load the demo but looking for some compareitives
Thanks
billy
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

Heh, presets.... thats just comedy.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
Heh, presets.... thats just comedy.

Not really, think of it as taking a car for a test drive, you can always fine tune things later. A test drive or a preset just serve to give you a "feel" for the product so they are useful. I'm always a little bemused by the apparent proffesional "horror" displayed whenever someone mentions presets
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey222
I'm always a little bemused by the apparent proffesional "horror" displayed whenever someone mentions presets
Well, presets for EQ have always confused me.... but generally I agree, presets can help you realize what types of sounds you can get out of the software. Then you tweak 'em!!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Snobbery against use of of presets?

Everyone's gotta learn by example from somewhere. Might as well learn from someone who has achieved a reasonable degree of success. No one was born knowing how to use an SSL to best advantage. And once you've learned what others do, you can, of course, ignore it all and do whatever you want.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR
No one was born knowing how to use an SSL to best advantage.

And no-one learned how to use an SSL by playing with plug-in presets.

Not trying to start an argument, just making a statement.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
And no-one learned how to use an SSL by playing with plug-in presets.

Not trying to start an argument, just making a statement.

Maybe not from presets but their is a good chance that they learnt and watched from someone else. Maybe someone that they assisted for, very similar IMO. Not saying you can't learn from listening (which is what I think you are implying) but it is fairly common for AE's and ME's to learn from someone more experienced.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

That's true, but I can tell you right now that there is no way in hell someone is going to understand an SSL by playing with some emulation plug-ins, CLA pre-sets or not. There's a lot more to the console than twisting a few knobs.

It's easy to pull up a pre-set and see how it will sound on your audio. What's hard is achieving that pre-set in the first place. The knowledge understood in making those adjustments. The "getting there". That's the hard part. So even if you have those pre-sets, you won't know why they are the way they are, and you probably won't use them properly.

You can't sell knowledge in a nifty little package.

I wonder how much CLA got paid for this....

Just my thoughs...don't beat me. (hi sqye)
Old 24th May 2006
You cant deny it was a clever marketing move to get CLA aboard..

For myself, I can see a CLA mix bus preset being of interest perhaps, but little else..
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Woah ... no one said anything about learning to use a complicated piece of gear from just a preset.

My comment was directed at the "that's just comedy" statement which seems to imply that "pshhh! any fool knows how to set the parameters".

Randy, your statements are in agreement with me on that. It takes a lot of hands on experience.

Well, someone who has neither an SSL nor a mentor to learn from can find some value in studying CLA's settings.

Saying that studying some one else's presets is a joke is like saying that if you want to learn to play guitar, studying the licks of great guitarists is a joke. Sure, it won't take you all the way, but it's valuable as a starting point.

That's where I was coming from.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

hmmmmmm

plugins will still sound like plugins - (sucky) - no matter who did the preset.

Hype and Jive!

Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
You cant deny it was a clever marketing move to get CLA aboard..

It was one of the most genius marketing moves this millenium IMO

I mean, when you think of mixing on an E/G SSL, who comes to mind? 3 guys. CLA, BC, and AW. Guess CLA was the lowest bidder haha

DAW,
good point.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

How many presets are there from chris lord-alge?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR
Woah ... no one said anything about learning to use a complicated piece of gear from just a preset.

My comment was directed at the "that's just comedy" statement which seems to imply that "pshhh! any fool knows how to set the parameters".

Randy, your statements are in agreement with me on that. It takes a lot of hands on experience.

Well, someone who has neither an SSL nor a mentor to learn from can find some value in studying CLA's settings.

Saying that studying some one else's presets is a joke is like saying that if you want to learn to play guitar, studying the licks of great guitarists is a joke. Sure, it won't take you all the way, but it's valuable as a starting point.

That's where I was coming from.

I wasn't implying that any fool should know how to set the SSL plugs. I was implying that just because a setting works well on a sound that CLA mixed doesn't mean it will work well on another, or even be relevant to the mix your working on. On the real SSL I don't think in terms of "Ok, this setting worked for me on the vocal in the last mix, so I'll just use the same setting for the vocal in this mix, and go from there". In my experience it's much more a spontaneous, and quick experimentation with various settings while moving from track to track in quick succession that ends up creating something sweet sounding. I submit that the biggest part of the SSL's mojo is the ability to move around the sound pallet quickly and freely from track to track unimpeded by pop up windows on the computer, and the ability to modify multiple settings simultaneously with both hands across all the tracks in a song, shaping as you go. It's just a much more creative way to work than mixing ITB. ITB mixing is very linear, while on the console it's more deviating, and roundabout. The presets are interesting, but I wouldnt go paste them on their respective tracks in a mix, and think that it will sound anything other than craptastic.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Screw CLA's plugin presets, what I want is a CLA PLUGIN! Put it on the 2-buss and viola!!! Maybe a little graphic could come up with him dancing around or something...

-C
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it can be useful for someone to get their head around a new way of using dynamics perhaps that they previously hadn´t thought about or q values on the eq thats a good starting point for certain problems.

Ofcource it´s nice with presets that sounds good as soon as you find a proper use for them, getting there fast is sometimes key to not forget an idea or get out of flow.

I think a statement like "you wont understand an ssl 4000" by these presets is kind of ********, like somebody thought so in the first place
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunasafedolphin
Screw CLA's plugin presets, what I want is a CLA PLUGIN! Put it on the 2-buss and viola!!!
LOL BTW I love your username! thumbsup
Old 25th May 2006

I was surprised by the slow attack on the buss compressor.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

I thought music couldn't sink any lower and then came the Crazy Frog Ring Tone on the charts.

And now we have CLA presets for plug-ins.
Makes me wonder why SSL themselves didn't see the marketing potential in selling presets for the actual hardware console.

Plug-ins are about as real and interesting as fake tits.

Sorry but I find the industry becoming more ridiculous by the hour.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial
Plug-ins are about as real and interesting as fake tits.
This may be true for you, but for those of us unable to afford an SSL or really top-notch outboard gear, they are essential tools. JMO.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought music couldn't sink any lower and then came the Crazy Frog Ring Tone on the charts.
I liked the one where he does the rocky theme
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's true, but I can tell you right now that there is no way in hell someone is going to understand an SSL by playing with some emulation plug-ins, CLA pre-sets or not. There's a lot more to the console than twisting a few knobs.It's easy to pull up a pre-set and see how it will sound on your audio. What's hard is achieving that pre-set in the first place.The knowledge understood in making those adjustments. The "getting there". That's the hard part.
I definitely agree with you up to here

Quote:
So even if you have those pre-sets, you won't know why they are the way they are, and you probably won't use them properly.
Well I don't know that there is any evidence of this. Useing a preset properly in my mind means using a preset to acheive a sound that you desire. If using that preset helps you acheive a sound that you are looking for than IMO you have used it properly. Let's face it, if we are talking about an EQ, once you have discovered a setting that works it's not really that hard to try and determine why it works and what was done to acheive the sound - it's all laid out there for you. Now if you are talking about a total NEWB who is only using a preset because it has CLA's name on it, than yes I would agree that that person is certainly missing the point.

Quote:
You can't sell knowledge in a nifty little package.
Yes you can, they call them books heh (don't beat me either)
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought music couldn't sink any lower and then came the Crazy Frog Ring Tone on the charts........

.........Plug-ins are about as real and interesting as fake tits..........

Dude - you totally rock.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North
Now if you are talking about a total NEWB who is only using a preset because it has CLA's name on it, than yes I would agree that that person is certainly missing the point.

Well...that is why they stuck his name on them. I can almost guarantee that I use the same Red3 setting on the 2 buss he does, but if I tried to sell it as my pre-set who would buy it? Probably not many people (I might have a few fans left). Stick CLA's name on it and the whole world wants it.

I'm sticking to my guns that if you pull up some CLA pre-set for your fav instrument, you probably won't understand why he is using those settings in the first place. How can you study someone elses settings without understanding how they think, and what else is involved? It's silly to me....but apparently I stand in a minority sometimes. I can agree it might be of slight interest, just for curiositys sake, but anything above that isn't for me.
Carry on...I have no fight left to debate this anymore.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

Granted it has been a few years since I have been in CLG’s studio but the guy has a great board, great outboard gear (multiple units of out board’s ”punch in 1176 #2” with settings already set to his liking, slight variation adj) would be pretty amazing to see him use the SSL plug in’s over outboard gear. I wonder if he has to pay WUP? Great marketing strategy on WAVES part.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomoone
the guy has a great board, great outboard gear (multiple units of out board’s ”punch in 1176 #2” with settings already set to his liking, slight variation adj) would be pretty amazing to see him use the SSL plug in’s over outboard gear. I wonder if he has to pay WUP? Great marketing strategy on WAVES part.
Yea, I'm sure CLA is sitting somewhere mixing ITB right now, selecting his own presets on his own WUP-protected copy of the SSL plugs. heh heh

That's hilarious!!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
hmmmmmm

plugins will still sound like plugins - (sucky) - no matter who did the preset.

Hype and Jive!

mixerguy,

no offence here, I know you know what you are talking about as far as pro audio is concerned (I have read your posts in the other forums) and I agree that plugins are no match for the real deal, but: why do you post so often in the "computer audio" forum about your hatred of plugins?? It's like you are on a mission to crush them out of existence!! So you hate plugins! But some people don't mix on a real SSL, monitor through Mark Levinsons, and sing through VM1-KHEs!! Why?? Because they don't have Bill Gates' net worth to allow such a thing to occur, or perhaps they simply run a project studio and don't work at Masterdisk or Ocean Way!!

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.. not trying to squabble; I just wonder why you bother.

J.D.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search