The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chris Lord-Alge/ Waves SSL 4000 Presets
Old 25th May 2006
  #31
Gear Maniac
 

Well lets see......I see some people still know how to blow a simple post wayyyyy out of.....well just way the hell out there!

Come on, they are presets and its a starting point when looking for a sound if you dont already have your own saved. A tweak here and a tweak there now I have it saved with my own name on it.....not Chris Lord.

those of you bashing the preset factor..........please take pictures of your SSL Board with some settings you use.....so I can save them too. heh These plugins will be the closest to a SSL board I will ever get......so please post those those pictures.

Come on all you big timers post those pictures. If you cant I understand not all of us have access to SSL Boards.....you probably see the point now.

Again, this is very amusing!

Give me a break...... no preset will ever be perfect for any track, its going to have to be tweaked whether it has CLA's name on it or Randy's and then again it might not fit the track at all soooooo lets move on.
Old 25th May 2006
  #32
Gear Addict
 
tomwehrle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
And no-one learned how to use an SSL by playing with plug-in presets.


Not trying to start an argument, just making a statement.
And just because we can't see your brain doesn't mean you don't have one, right?
There's no point in stating stuff like this, I just think having something like that would allow you to learn things quicker, and just figure out how to get certain sounds, of course you're gonna have to tweak things. I mean when I go hit the popcorn button on the microwave, it depends what brand of popcorn i have in there to start with...it's the same thing here, that popcorn preset saves me the time of hitting "time cook" punching in my time and hitting go, instead it just goes!!!
Old 25th May 2006
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
there is no way in hell someone is going to understand an SSL by playing with some emulation plug-ins
I was mulling over this thread over breakfast, and I was thinking.. Quite a few people buy or borrow SSL manuals, to study at home, to try and learn the desk. "But that is only for the routing and automation!" I hear you cry... and you would be correct.

However - I can tell you, that the the first time you work on an SSL, the thing that REALLY has "the learning curve" is the EQ... You switch it on, put your hands to it and think "how the hell does this work? / Sound? You just have to 'get in there' and mess around with it, to understand it.

If you are working anywhere half decent, the supplied assistant will happily drive the automation, computer and even lend a hand with routing... but it's really the eq (and compression) that the SSL newbie engineeer has to 'learn and use' on the spot...

So a plug in emulation of them, cant be ALL bad....

...can it?

Old 25th May 2006
  #34
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
So a plug in emulation of them, cant be ALL bad....

...can it?


No...not bad at all. I demo'd them and really liked them overall (the plug-ins, not CLA's thing).

I do understand how these "pre-sets" can be of a slight educational use to some people in a weird kinda way, but personally think it's a bit silly, and is more of a marketing ploy on Waves part to sell the plug-ins than anything. I just wanted to stress that there is a lot more to it than just some settings. There's a reason for settings, a path to the end of the rainbow must be taken to retreive the gold...that's all

Sorry if I'm taking away from the thread at all...not my intention.
Old 25th May 2006
  #35
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 

I think SSL should buy the CLA presets from Waves and include them on their C200.

That would totally rock.


Yes it would.
Old 25th May 2006
  #36
Gear Addict
 
tommymakestapes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial
I thought music couldn't sink any lower and then came the Crazy Frog Ring Tone on the charts.

And now we have CLA presets for plug-ins.
Makes me wonder why SSL themselves didn't see the marketing potential in selling presets for the actual hardware console.

Plug-ins are about as real and interesting as fake tits.

Sorry but I find the industry becoming more ridiculous by the hour.

Leave fake tits out of this!
Old 25th May 2006
  #37
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
I think SSL should buy the CLA presets from Waves and include them on their C200.

That would totally rock.


Yes it would.

[yawn]...
Old 25th May 2006
  #38
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial
I thought music couldn't sink any lower and then came the Crazy Frog Ring Tone on the charts.

And now we have CLA presets for plug-ins.
Makes me wonder why SSL themselves didn't see the marketing potential in selling presets for the actual hardware console.

Plug-ins are about as real and interesting as fake tits.

Sorry but I find the industry becoming more ridiculous by the hour.
Thats constructive, Software is not real. It’s just in computers. And everyone knows that computers are not real. Thank goodness you cleared that up for all of us. I was getting confused.
Old 25th May 2006
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Just re-mixed a track using only SSL channel's and the presets!!!!


I hope this was not the point of these presets, but maybe the Kick 1 was interesting. I can just see it now... mixed by CLA, via xxxxxxx. Now all we have to do is get some sort of auto leveling tool and we never have to mix anything again!
Old 25th May 2006
  #40
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial

Plug-ins are about as real and interesting as fake tits.
.
Hey don't knock 'em them until you've tweaked 'em;-)
daniel
Old 25th May 2006
  #41
Lives for gear
 
pixelhead's Avatar
I just tried the CLA Drum Room setting and they sound great as is. no tweeking needed.
Old 26th May 2006
  #42
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
I think SSL should buy the CLA presets from Waves and include them on their C200.

That would totally rock.


Yes it would.
I can give them the TonyBelmont presets for half the price! heh
Old 26th May 2006
  #43
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
... the thing that REALLY has "the learning curve" is the EQ...
A-Men!

I went to SSL school at USC around 1992 where we were given manuals, taught how to stop the computer from cursing and given a good idea of the logic behind it. As it happened, I wound up never using an SSL until just this past six months. Thankfully I'm playing producer and can just ask the engineer for what I want but that eq. IS indeed a bear. The WAVES channel strip plug-in has turned out to be a huge help to me in getting more comfortable with it.
Old 27th May 2006
  #44
theother
Guest
The Waves SSL channel compressor is really lame. The stereo compressor comes close.

I hope SSL does a better job with the channel compressor. The Waves does not have the magic of the hardware at all.
The channel compressor represented for me 75% of the SSL desk whan I did mixes on G/E desks.

When you hit the compressor button on the real desk it slaps you right in the face. It's not exactly subtle. Yet with the Waves I have trouble hearing it working most of the time.
The SSL makes everything bigger, the Waves smaller.

I think Duende will be a step forward. And Waves can fill the gaps in the meantime...
Old 27th May 2006
  #45
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
The Waves SSL channel compressor is really lame. The stereo compressor comes close.

I hope SSL does a better job with the channel compressor. The Waves does not have the magic of the hardware at all.
The channel compressor represented for me 75% of the SSL desk whan I did mixes on G/E desks.

When you hit the compressor button on the real desk it slaps you right in the face. It's not exactly subtle. Yet with the Waves I have trouble hearing it working most of the time.
The SSL makes everything bigger, the Waves smaller.

I think Duende will be a step forward. And Waves can fill the gaps in the meantime...
I don't know... I don't think they got it perfect. But, it's still pretty useful and effective.
Old 27th May 2006
  #46
no ssl yet
Guest
I've always thought the only way the "presets" from a mixer would be an effective learning tool is if you also have the mix that he used them on, that way you can bypass things to see what they were as opposed to what he made them.
Old 24th August 2006
  #47
Here for the gear
Can someone please send me the CLA SSL Presets??

I am working off site and they have a firewall or some type filtering certain websites. I dont know why they are filtering waves website but I would appreciate if one of you guys can send me the CLA SSL presets..

please email me at [email protected]

YOu can attach to email if you can or email me for access to our ftp site.

Thank you .

A
Old 24th August 2006
  #48
Gear Maniac
 
esteso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Just re-mixed a track using only SSL channel's and the presets!!!!


I hope this was not the point of these presets, but maybe the Kick 1 was interesting. I can just see it now... mixed by CLA, via xxxxxxx. Now all we have to do is get some sort of auto leveling tool and we never have to mix anything again!
Roger Nichols already beat you to it!
Old 24th August 2006
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
esteso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
A-Men!

I went to SSL school at USC around 1992 where we were given manuals, taught how to stop the computer from cursing and given a good idea of the logic behind it. As it happened, I wound up never using an SSL until just this past six months. Thankfully I'm playing producer and can just ask the engineer for what I want but that eq. IS indeed a bear. The WAVES channel strip plug-in has turned out to be a huge help to me in getting more comfortable with it.
Hey Bob, could you say more? I've got the SSL/Waves and I just turn the knobs till they sound good. Seems to work easily enough though i don't have acces to the real thing. Might be some subtlety I'm missing in the plug?

thx
Old 24th August 2006
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
esteso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
The Waves SSL channel compressor is really lame. The stereo compressor comes close.
I wonder if driving the input hotter helps.
Old 20th January 2009
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Thumbs down

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Some people just need to get over themselves. No one is asking you to use the plug-ins or the presets.

I use the Waves SSL bundle. I like it (though I like the API bundle more). Good for me. You don't? Good for you.

Don't waste everyone's time with your pointless bashing. Go start a thread about how awesome you are that you could pick the hardware vs software 20 times out of 20. Wait, you can't.

If people want to use presets what's wrong with that. I highly doubt anyone here is honestly just throwing these presets on and leaving them as is (unless as is happens to be the best thing for the track). Even if they do use the presets that way, who cares. They aren't working for you. Let them do what they want.


Last edited by private_stock; 20th January 2009 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: formatting was goofy
Old 20th January 2009
  #52
Gear Nut
 

The one and only Lord! (apart from the other one. Oh, and Jon Lord out of Purple)

I agree.

I've been mixing records for years and I love it. I especially love that there's so much to learn, you can never stop.
Like, mathematically it's possible to describe the fretboard of a guitar, all I know is, the more I play it the more I can stare deeper into an ever expanding truly magic matrix of music.
The same with SOUND - noone can ever know it all. There's always questions, possibilities and developments and....

I don't use presets on comp or EQ; well, I've started to...sometimes, but I prefer to call them 'starting points'.

I once saw some screenshots of the CLA presets and initially was shocked at some of the crazy shizzlin' phase-shiftin voodoo, but I tried a couple of things out with my Duende and some of what I LEARNED from that has stuck with me.

Which is officially a Good Thing!

Just thought I'd share that
(fwifw) X
Old 20th January 2009
  #53
Gear Nut
 

So a lot of you are saying that plug-ins don't compare to the real thing and others are pointing out that plugs are great for those who don't have the opportunity to work on a real SSL.

Well I have worked on real SSLs quite a bit, both a 4048 and a 6056. Now I know there are a lot of guys who are more talented and more experienced than I am who love SSLs, but I personally don't see why someone would pay for a software emulation of a console that has so little character. I mean, SSLs are super clean but so is digital gear.

There is something to be said for working with real gear. I prefer high quality analog outboard over digital emulations, but SSLs just sound really transparent to me, and that’s it. I mixed some tracks for a record on an SSL 4048, others on a Trident 80B, and a couple in the box. Truthfully, the ITB tracks and the SSL tracks sounded very similar while the Trident tracks had a lot more interesting character. As far as modern clean sounding consoles go, I prefer the Neve 88R, but I still like the older stuff better for most applications.
Old 20th January 2009
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Chaellus's Avatar
the SSL Bundle is pretty good i dont know why everyone is complaing over that or the presets, mixers some of them do use hardware and plugin presets that they can go to and call up for certain arrangements that work most of the time...it saves time andis efficent...i tihnk its smart so im left out in this debate about presets for novice's as even pro use them i really dont get the grief
Old 24th September 2009
  #55
Gear Maniac
 

I think the SSL presets are Great. I was having trouble with an acoustic guitar on a mix and for kicks i dialed in the CLA preset and it sounded rad! It's a rare occurance but if anything it makes you think "hmmmm i never thought of that"... I've been mixing for a long time and i think i have a pretty good understanding of how to use EQ. But i think the idea of presets can be very helpful placement wise for those who are new to mixing. Knock em as much as you want but i think most people would agree that a little bit of insight into a great mixer like CLA's head is a bonus.
Old 12th December 2009
  #56
Lives for gear
 

I like some of the presets. But I don't get why CLA has the compressor/gate post EQ on all his channels? Most engineers I know (like myself) prefer to compress pre EQ - just wondering.

The gate is also activated on all channels, how come? Is SSL a noisy beast?
Old 25th February 2010
  #57
Gear Maniac
 
jlipoth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
I like some of the presets. But I don't get why CLA has the compressor/gate post EQ on all his channels? Most engineers I know (like myself) prefer to compress pre EQ - just wondering.

The gate is also activated on all channels, how come? Is SSL a noisy beast?
I think it may be almost a primitive form of multiband compression. As you change the eq, it changes how it hits the compressor. I would imagine that the tracks probably already have a bit of compression/processing before they hit the console as well (ie. L1 on the vocal). I think these presets are fascinating because they give us a bit of a window into what's going on, but as far as where or how CLA has his outboard gear wired up, (and how he preps his tracks even before it hits that stuff too), there is still a lot of unknowns. He could very well be thinking "all those poor bastards don't have a clue how I've custom wired "this" 1176 into "this" channel etc.
Old 25th February 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 

i never put much importance on presets purely because it depends on the source.. What good is a preset EQ boosting 6db at 3k if you are already loaded with 3k in your source ? Same with compression, it depends on the source levels and the nature of how it was tracked.. Not to mention how you want that instrument sitting with others in the mix... So if i load a preset i would usually change it so much i may as well not have loaded it to begin with..

I admire CLA's ability but his formula approach to mixing is totally not what i subscribe to.. he's making hamburgers as far as im concerned, along with the A&R people looking for more cliched typical pop artists these days, no wonder music has turned into generic crap..
Old 25th February 2010
  #59
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
I admire CLA's ability but his formula approach to mixing is totally not what i subscribe to.. he's making hamburgers as far as im concerned, along with the A&R people looking for more cliched typical pop artists these days, no wonder music has turned into generic crap..

How can you admire someone and then trash them in the same breath? CLA's work is incredibly diverse, and quite often i'm surprised when i find out i'm listening to one of his mixes.
Old 25th February 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloper View Post
How can you admire someone and then trash them in the same breath? CLA's work is incredibly diverse, and quite often i'm surprised when i find out i'm listening to one of his mixes.
Easy, I admire some of the things ive heard but i dont admire the fact so much of it sounds the same and i especially dont admire anything about his formula approach to mixing for radio..

Fair enough he just keeps labels happy and makes the bucks, i understand if he doesnt do it someone else will.. I just dont like that side of the music industry, same way i dont like american idol, autotune, comping every drum hit or any of these things which reduces music to just a generic money making product.

What i wrote isnt an attack on him personally, its the ideology i do not subscribe to.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump