The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ua neve 1073 eq is here! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

ua neve 1073 eq is here!

I'm curious to hear how it sounds. Don't have the card yet.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Ehm, it should be released in the next days, it's not here yet.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

oops!

I just assumed since it was listed with all the other plugs it was available. oh well
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

mmmmm... I wonder when they get a video or demos up

http://www.uaudio.com/products/softw...073/index.html
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

It will be released after the AES, so starting from tomorrow every day is a good day.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

The sound demo of the UAD Neve 1073 EQ is up on the website:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2006/may/index.html

Click on 'Plug-In Power'

And it sounds great on the drums...Crisp and Punchy.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

OK so they might have reproduced the eq curves to a tee but when you crank it does it distort in an analog way? If not exactly how does this differ from URS besides the Neve endorsment?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi
If not exactly how does this differ from URS besides the Neve endorsment?
should have a sweeter top-end than the urs because of the oversampling.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi
OK so they might have reproduced the eq curves to a tee but when you crank it does it distort in an analog way? If not exactly how does this differ from URS besides the Neve endorsment?

This is what I wanna know. Although I still count the UAD Pultec Pro as the best software EQ. Waaaaaaaay more hardware-like than URS.

URS is 'good for software' but UAD Pultec is "getting close to outboard" if you ask me.

I think it's funny how a new plugin gets so much attention and a couple months later is relegated to the back of everyone's mind. Kinda like a pretty girl without much to say.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

^^the pultec/pro also upsamples.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

4.3 will be released on June 1.

fuuck
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Awlrighty!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Can you modify the title......I keep checking it for no reason......thx
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nice...Demo.. Very Nice Plugs..
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

wow, that demo is seriously impressive
Old 27th May 2006
NL5
Lives for gear

Any info on pricing??
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL5
Any info on pricing??

For the UA Neve 1073? $249 for the bundle, which includes both the sonically accurate 1073 (upsampled to 192k) and the less DSP intensive 1073SE (no upsampling). According to UA, it will be available, in the v4.3 update, June 1st.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

is it true that only 3 instances of neve eq will eat up the entire uad-1 card? if so universal audio needs to make a more powerful card.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Bingo!

heh
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

If there are only 3 instances of the plug on a DSP card thats a step back in time not foreward. I would expect at least 24 instances at the very least. 3 instances of a plugin takes me back to the days of working with my old old G4 where I would have to be choosy as to which plug I used on what. On my g5 I can have as many instances as I like and If I'm gonna pay for DSP which is supposed to be more power I expect to be able to add plugs till I'm blue in the face and it to do way more than my nativer proccesor not less.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quality over quantity? Anyway, something to consider.

I'm not arguing, but if the sound quality is there and is easy to dial in, I'm OK with bouncing/freezing. In the end, it would be less costly.

Then again, I haven't heard it. Time will tell.

Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

I don't think it should ever get to a decision of Quality vs Quanity as far as software is concerned. My expectation is that for plugins with DSP I should get both why sell you a card if its only powerfull enough to run a couple plugins thats just silly. Especially when the URS ones you can get countless instances and the Liquid Mix and Duende deliver a whole lot more instances.
The only way I would consider buying the licence to have three really awesome plugins was if I had 3 scale models of the the 1073/1081 to twist the knobs.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

As far as DSP power goes, we don't have that luxury yet. At least not at a reasonable cost.

As much as I hope that Liquid Mix and Duende blow our socks off, they are not here yet. So it's only speculation at this point.

The URS plugins are good but still leave a bit to be desired. As good as they are, I want better.

UA's plugs tend to be pretty darn good relative to the competition. If the Neve EQ lives up to expectations, it will be worth the tradeoff in terms of quantity, methinks.

What would one hardware unit cost? And then you could only use one instance per freeze/bounce?

But, yeah, being able to run more than 3 of them per card would be desirable! Someday ...
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Head

not three though....three blows....six ? hmmm 10 hell yeah 3??? no thanks!!!!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

I am about to send back my uad-1 card. I wasn't as impressed with the pultec Eq as I was with the rtas version from PTLE. It just doesn't sound the same. Perhaps it's because I was using Nuendo. I don't know if that makes a difference. This is my first experience with UA and Nuendo. Reluctantly I'm about to switch back to PTLE with Proprietary hardware (002r) I really like the pultec plug-in sound on that DAW, I like it so much that i'm going back to a DAW i swore off of.

I haven't yet heard the UA Neve demo; perhaps I'll wait. Dunno. Correct me if i'm wrong but with the PCI-E card wouldn't you be able to run more instances of a plug-in?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

just tried the ua neve 1073 and all i can say is that it is simply amazing. if u liked the urs then u r gonna love the ua.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

If there are still morons saying that plugins suck they should definately try this one !! It is freakin amazing sounding !!!
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtheone
I am about to send back my uad-1 card. I wasn't as impressed with the pultec Eq as I was with the rtas version from PTLE. It just doesn't sound the same. Perhaps it's because I was using Nuendo. I don't know if that makes a difference. This is my first experience with UA and Nuendo. Reluctantly I'm about to switch back to PTLE with Proprietary hardware (002r) I really like the pultec plug-in sound on that DAW, I like it so much that i'm going back to a DAW i swore off of.

I haven't yet heard the UA Neve demo; perhaps I'll wait. Dunno. Correct me if i'm wrong but with the PCI-E card wouldn't you be able to run more instances of a plug-in?

you should do a blind listening test and ged rid of all subjectivity. I seriously doubt the RTAS and vst versions sound different. Of course the sound of sequencers is subjective as well, as a lot of people would say Nuendo "sounds" better than Protools but in theory they should all sound the same since it's all just math and you have the same pan laws.. If they called it ProNuendo would that sound better?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

It softens everything.
it is the first time ' i like my uad-1 card.

Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

how have any of you got it yet? theres nothing on ua's site?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search