The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ua neve 1073 eq is here! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=severe]It's funny to me that the URS can now be described as "brittle" after all the lengthy threads/posts about its smoooth sound just months ago.

QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact thing. The URS plugins still sound as good today, as they did when I bought them.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

I've been using these things for a few days now and they are truly great. Unfortunately they seriously tax my two Uad cards where now I have to spend some time allocating resources among them. If UA is going to keep coming out with great but increasingly demanding plugs, they need to drastically up the power on their cards. Either that or bite the bullet and go native.
-RS
Old 9th June 2006
Daniel001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltersoton
how have any of you got it yet? theres nothing on ua's site?!
Looking at a cached (older) version of the website perhaps?
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

So they updated the cards to pci Express...but they didn't give it any more horsepower!?! what the hell. This was the main reason i didn't go with these cards over a year ago and they finally did some updates but didn't bother to push the dsp at all.

If they are expecting me to fill my rig with their cards they better up the ante and give me some more power!

but seriously, whens this new uad 2 card supposed to come out? I didn't really like the URS neve eq as much as I loved the aggressiveness of their API clone eq...anything like that coming to the UAD card. If this thing is getting such great reviews i might have to give it more consideration before unloading my pocket book on the urs bundle.

How do these compare to the waves ssl bundle as far as quality in the eq?
Obviously its a completely different beast as far as musical factor goes but as far as quality and what weve reached in plugins are they in the same league or did waves just get jumped?

Incase you didn't notice i need some really good eqs and compressors...
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Addict

got to work with the 1073 today and I'm truly impressed. Great Job UA!!!!!!
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

so you guys that have been using the cards for a while. when it says the 1073 can have 4 or 5 instances in mono, does that mean your done with the cards as far as plugins until you've removed those 4 neve plugins? or can you fit a few 1176 comps in there as well?
curious since they've got 2 options for the pci e version. 500 for the card and 100 dollars towards plugins or 1000 for a card and 750 towards plugins. obviously the thousand dollar card your getting a little bit extra towards the plugins....
...But...I would probably rather buy 2 of these cards for the grand and have the 200 dollars towards the plugins.

What do you guys think?

Also, any issues with running these in protools le RTAS? Somebody on here said if you don't have delay compensation (which blows my mind that digi still won't put it on le) that its kinda a nightmare. how much latency am i looking at per plugin?
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack
Somebody on here said if you don't have delay compensation (which blows my mind that digi still won't put it on le)
there is even freeware for pc, that has it(+unlimited tracks and mp3-support).
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack
so you guys that have been using the cards for a while. when it says the 1073 can have 4 or 5 instances in mono, does that mean your done with the cards as far as plugins until you've removed those 4 neve plugins? or can you fit a few 1176 comps in there as well?

Also, any issues with running these in protools le RTAS? Somebody on here said if you don't have delay compensation (which blows my mind that digi still won't put it on le) that its kinda a nightmare. how much latency am i looking at per plugin?

nah you cant.. 5 instances will take the whole card and you wont be able to run any other plugs on it.

I'm using the UAD in pro tools, and yeah, it can be a PITA sometimes. For example Ive noticed that the 1073 and 1073SE don't have the same latency. So you always have to deal with UAD's delay compensation plug & PT's time adjuster.
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Addict

Would you still say it's worth using the UAD-1 with PT LE though?
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenre
Would you still say it's worth using the UAD-1 with PT LE though?
well I'm loving the 1073, and the Fairchild is on all my vocal busses. The 1176 sounds great on bass.. so I'm definitely keeping my UAD so I guess it's worth the hassle. I'm just waiting for digidesign to put the ADC in PTLE.... but I have the feeling it could take a while

also I cant wait for the neve compressor plug-in
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Nut

Is anyone else getting a kick out of this?

Is it just me or is there a honeymoon period for every new plugin out there (almost) where people say its the hardware killer/ best thing since sliced bread/ etc. Then two months later, something else comes out and same thread all over again.

I could easily paste every statement made in this thread and change the name UAD 1073 and put in Waves ssl and you woudn't know the difference.

Hysterical.

heh
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

well i'm going to go down to a store and try and loadup a session with all the uad plugs as well as teh waves ssl stuff, maybe a duendo as well if they've got it and shoot those out for some nice eqs and comps since thats what i'm after right now.

I just don't know if I'm going to like having to deal with the delay compensation by hand due to digi being stupid about le.

Yeah I remember how everyone was saying the URS stuff was the best in the high end frequencies and the neve plugins and then this came out with the new neve eq and now the urs suck in comparison...good thing i haven't bought them yet
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrocker
Is anyone else getting a kick out of this?

Is it just me or is there a honeymoon period for every new plugin out there (almost) where people say its the hardware killer/ best thing since sliced bread/ etc. Then two months later, something else comes out and same thread all over again.

I could easily paste every statement made in this thread and change the name UAD 1073 and put in Waves ssl and you woudn't know the difference.

Hysterical.

heh
Well I'll tell you this, I'm getting a kick out of having both the Waves and the UAD 1073! I was thinking of selling my UAD, but it's here to stay! The Waves and the UAD 1073 really are a step up for plug-in EQ's and they really complement each other IMHO.

Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

hey guys I had a question about using "vintage" style eqs as plugins in here. Say I end up using this neve 1073 eq on bass. It only has one parametric. I don't want to be shelving on the low end and screw up my kick down below. So normally as a starting point for me and my bass recordings I normally wip out a parametric eq plugin and boost around 125 hz then a smaller boost around 600 to 800 hz for my growl and then a boost around the 1 to 3k for some string noise.

would it be possible to run multiple eqs on say this bass channel to get that done? obviously i'd have to process my sounds as i go but run it through 2 to 3 instances of the plugin boosting on the parametric for each range i need or will that screw me up or just ruin the whole idea of this units sound?

Normally i went to the api or neve multiparametric version in the URS plugins compared to the vintage single module.

Was just a thought i'd run by you as i was looking at these plugs.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamm
should have a sweeter top-end than the urs because of the oversampling.
URS has had a 48 Bit version for a while now.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

You've mixed up sample rate and bit depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
URS has had a 48 Bit version for a while now.
Old 1st July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t
Made the same settins in each plugin, which are:
+5 dB on the highshelf (URS N Series @ 12 kHz),
-3 dB on the mid band @ 360 Hz (URS N Series @ 350 Hz),
+4 dB on the lowshelf @ 110 Hz.
I normalized each section and I have to say I liked the UAD version better.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

-----

I later downloaded the demo and used it in an actual mix and boy was I glad, it sounds wonderful on distorted rhythm guitars. I still preffer the UAD Pulteq Pro for leads though.
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Addict

hmmm ohhh ahh baby baby uad 1073, that and/or the pultec pro for vocal e.q.'s
Old 4th July 2006
Lives for gear

You noticed this too ? I put the UAD1 Pultec Pro followed by the 1073 on a vocal track and thought it was a great combo !! Yes..both in serial .. For some reason, it sounded better than any other EQ´s I have when used by themselves .....
Old 4th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs
You noticed this too ? I put the UAD1 Pultec Pro followed by the 1073 on a vocal track and thought it was a great combo !! Yes..both in serial .. For some reason, it sounded better than any other EQ´s I have when used by themselves .....
Wait till you do that with the outboard

...completely different ball game
Old 4th July 2006
Lives for gear

I always wondered if running audio through 2 different eq plugins would impart some phasing issues at all.

I got a question for you guys since i might have overlooked it on the uad site.
I need the pciE version and they just have the Express and Expert pack and it says they both come with the same basic plugins. only difference is you get an extra 650 dollars worth of a voucher with the more expensive expert pack.

I guess my question is, if I got 2 of the express pack cards so that I could double the amount of plugs i could use. can i get more newer plugs with the buying of the second card or do i still get the same basic ones? Or, no new ones at all, same plugs as the first card with just another 100 bucks towards some new plugs?

Guess I'm trying to figure out whicch route is better for now. 1 card more plugs bought but can barely run them or 2 cards to run a lot of the same basic 1176se

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search