The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ua neve 1073 eq is here! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang
in Nuendo, does it work with FREEZE? Will it free up the card resources?
Wow, everytime I try to respond to a thread at work, all hell breaks loose! Anyways, it will free up resources.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

and then urs said a long time ago:

"URS N12 series
Classic Console 12 Band Equalizer ™

Digitally recreates the classic sound of Neve's 1073 vintage equalizer as a Twelve Band Graphic.
A URS First !"
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
Is it only me who's getting annoyed seeing your picture 10 times when scrolling through this thread?
no..
Old 3rd June 2006
OK so I have been messing around with this all night (literally, it is almost 6am dfegad )

I cannot believe how much better of a mixer I have become in a short 12 hours

I cannot believe how great this plug is. I would love a little more frequency options (1081/1084) but wow this does the job. I have done QUIK remixes of 3 songs and they sound twice as good as the original mixes which took 10 times as long. There is just more clarity and punch, and definition.

My drums are tighter, the low end is more controlled and not as boomy, I guess it is just the focus that is sharpened so much more. Vocals pop right up to the front, and everything seems to find its own place in the mix so much faster.

I know it sound like I am gushing too much, and maybe I am it is very late But I am just soo impressed. My only dilema now is do I wait until the 1081 comes out and see which I like best, or do I just go for it and buy this one now?
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100
OK so I have been messing around with this all night (literally, it is almost 6am dfegad )

I cannot believe how much better of a mixer I have become in a short 12 hours

I cannot believe how great this plug is. I would love a little more frequency options (1081/1084) but wow this does the job. I have done QUIK remixes of 3 songs and they sound twice as good as the original mixes which took 10 times as long. There is just more clarity and punch, and definition.

My drums are tighter, the low end is more controlled and not as boomy, I guess it is just the focus that is sharpened so much more. Vocals pop right up to the front, and everything seems to find its own place in the mix so much faster.

I know it sound like I am gushing too much, and maybe I am it is very late But I am just soo impressed. My only dilema now is do I wait until the 1081 comes out and see which I like best, or do I just go for it and buy this one now?

Yeah it is freakin amazing isn't it ! You can throw this plugin at anything and it is alive...pure magic... I know the real one does some more magic since the preamp is included but EQ wise the difference is absolutly neglectable..especially priceswise..

Hats off big time UA !!!
Old 3rd June 2006
This eq is soooo good.. simply amazing! It brings life to any track you put it in.
I haven't had the chance to get my hands on the real 1073, 1081 or any other Neve eq, but one thing is for sure: I haven't heard any better digital eq than this.. be it analog emulation or pure digital.

I've been always really happy with the URS N-Series, but now I just realized how harsh, cold and brittle it sounds even compared to other eqs I have..
Did a comparison test with many other 'good' eqs, but none of them had that magic.. I could come close with the URS A-Series (crazy, since the N-Series should sound closer.. but the A has simply better high end and mids), the UAD Pultec Pro and suprisingly with a freeware eq called "A0 Parametric EQ" I stumbled across at the UAD-1 forum.

The UAD Neve 1073 is killer.. thanks UA for bringin that beautiful sound into my DAW!
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

I hate to say that.. but I think I'm gonna have to buy another UAD card.. because that plug is.. wooh
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

is there a 1073 eq for htdm?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

The demo sounds very nice. I've never used the original so I can't compare to any specific EQ, but this sounds like a real EQ. Easily the most impressive sounding plugin EQ I've heard to date. Whether it is the best tool for the job remains to be seen ... I haven't logged enough hours with it and I want to refrain from exuding honeymoon bliss prematurely. I will be buying it.

One thing that is really exciting is that it is clear that we have entered a new level of plugin quality. Even if if plugins do not ever replace real outboard and even if this particular plugin is not the be-all-end-all, we now have a glimpse into the future of plugin quality and it several steps advanced from where we were a few days ago. The bar has been raised.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR
One thing that is really exciting is that it is clear that we have entered a new level of plugin quality. Even if if plugins do not ever replace real outboard and even if this particular plugin is not the be-all-end-all, we now have a glimpse into the future of plugin quality and it several steps advanced from where we were a few days ago. The bar has been raised.
yup.. exactly, brighter plug-ins days are coming !! first the waves ssl, now ua1073.. looking forward to hear ssl's duende as well
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

i have watched the video.
it sounds good.
but with 4 instances you get 70% usage of your uaudio card, right?
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7
i have watched the video.
it sounds good.
but with 4 instances you get 70% usage of your uaudio card, right?
I have 3 1073's (2mono + 1 stereo) and 4 1073 SE's running on a track right now and it's eating 98% of my card
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

How many cards are you packing? Is the 4 instances with 1 card ? Anyone with 4 cards, how many isntances can you guys get? Just curious. Hopefully I'll have time later today to try it out.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

yes only 1 card

I think there's a graphic that shows how much you can run of each plug on a card on UA's website
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
How many cards are you packing? Is the 4 instances with 1 card ? Anyone with 4 cards, how many isntances can you guys get? Just curious. Hopefully I'll have time later today to try it out.
I only have two cards but I have 5 stereo 1073's in a project that are using 60% of the cards, so that may give some idea of what you could run with 4 cards. The SE version on the other hand (which really does sound excellent!)....... barely has an effect on the UAD-1 meter.

Stephen
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Gee
I only have two cards but I have 5 stereo 1073's in a project that are using 60% of the cards, so that may give some idea of what you could run with 4 cards. The SE version on the other hand (which really does sound excellent!)....... barely has an effect on the UAD-1 meter.

Stephen
I just noticed that! 4 instances stereo on mine was 48% 2 cards. I got a card in another system so maybe I'm gonna try 3. So far not too bad. Never mind what this sounds like.......
Old 4th June 2006
Here for the gear

uad 1073

It sounds good. Magic bullet, it isn't...well, for "in-the-box"ers out there, maybe it is. Even if you don't buy it, try it out. Render/bounce some tracks for future reference. I have used it on a vocal, a whole drum kit, a couple of kicks during the 14 day demo period.

JT
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstudios
It sounds good. Magic bullet, it isn't...well, for "in-the-box"ers out there, maybe it is. Even if you don't buy it, try it out. Render/bounce some tracks for future reference. I have used it on a vocal, a whole drum kit, a couple of kicks during the 14 day demo period.

JT
Great first post !

I wonder what an "out-the-box"er like yourself is doing with an UAD ? Oops...

Also..The demo is only 2 days out so you have 12 more days to hear it really is 95% close to the original. On the UAD forum there is someone posting UAD 1073 vs URS vs Real soon so you can experience that the "magic" is indeed there in the plugin.

Resistance is futile heh
Old 5th June 2006
Here for the gear

Wink in/out of box

I'm 90% in-the-box / 10% out-of-the-box!

The UA 2-1176 gets a work out as an "external plugin" and occasionally the LA610 ...once in a blue moon, the Chandler Germ "Thick" switch or old VC1Q for weirdness. I'll solo and bounce with the external plugs to new tracks to get enough "instances."

Otherwise, its 2 UAD1s with 1176LN, LA2A, Fairchild, Pultec, Plate140, Dreamverb, the Mastering Bundle, etc... and MAYBE the new UAD 1073. It does sound good.

I was reluctant to spend more money on UAD DSP, when dealing with computer issues. Finally I got a powerful platform that worked in the Tyan 2895 with dual - dualcore Opterons, but still, who wouldn't prefer to have more nice outboard and more / better conversion. No matter how you slice it up, it's a money pit! At least I'm having fun going broke...

JT
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well I was pleasantly surprised.

Sounds really good reminded me a lot of the Chandler LTD1

I'm not too worried about only being able to run a handfull on a few cards as I ceratinly would use it "here and there" rather than on everything.

Guitar, Bass and Drum excellent. Not so keen on Vox.

Really good on the master buss though...........
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR
I will be buying it..... One thing that is really exciting is that it is clear that we have entered a new level of plugin quality. Even if if plugins do not ever replace real outboard and even if this particular plugin is not the be-all-end-all, we now have a glimpse into the future of plugin quality and it several steps advanced from where we were a few days ago. The bar has been raised.
My sentiments exactly. I spent about 4-6 hours with it on Friday. I will be buying it this week. This is finally an itb eq that I really like. It feels like tweaking hardware and sounds amazing compared to other plug-ins. I can't imagine anyone not liking this plug...

chuck
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

How does all this stuff work with a PT HD setup. I'm running a new quad Mac with an expansion/conversion chassis. Do I just stick a UAD card in the chassis and everything works automatically? Compatibility issues?

Thanks,
-R
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac
Someone said in another forum that this plug is a ****-to-gold converter.
I totally agree. This thing is amazing!
I finished a mix that i was having trouble with for the last 3 days in 2 hours. Damn, i'm actually excited with this.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Nut

realistic logical answer from the voice of reason:

It is good, but not that good. It is better than the urs 1084 and 1073, but not "oh my god I just **** my pants and took the **** out and smeared it on my face and screamed NEEEEEEVE in my wifes face" better. I like to say the the mid boost on these things is sharp and snappy. The UA 1073 is sharp, snappy, and also very thick. The URS 1084 and 1073 sound sharp and snappy, but a little thin. I'll wait for the 1081 and the extra bands it has.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

a philosophical concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
How does all this stuff work with a PT HD setup. I'm running a new quad Mac with an expansion/conversion chassis. Do I just stick a UAD card in the chassis and everything works automatically? Compatibility issues?

Thanks,
-R
I might be wrong, but I don't think it works with PT HD.

This thread has been amusing to me. It's a fine-sounding eq --- and I'm all for technological progress --- but reports of its magic healing properties are a bit exaggerated. It's a terrific musical tool like the rest of the UA plug-ins. The future is indeed bright for native DAW audio, which grows in power exponentially every year.

The thing about the 1073 plug-in that everyone should beware: it has a lot of torque. Making good EQ decisions requires good hearing and good logical thinking (i.e. "Which frequencies of this instrument would I like to emphasize with respect to its surrounding musical landscape? Which frequencies of this instrument would I like to de-emphasize with respect to its surrounding musical landscape?") In my opinion, most people do not have a good ear for this sort of thing. The fact that the 1073 plug-in is more powerful than many other digital EQs (i.e. turning a knob yields a strong, identifiable shift in sound), making the right decision becomes more important!

I say this as a mastering engineer who works on lots of records by both professionals and hobbyists alike. It's remarkable to me how easy it is to make a bad decision with EQ... I almost feel like people should have to pass a test before they start using a 1073! I would say that, for the vast majority of people, getting their hands on a 1073 is not necessarily a good thing. I'm expecting a rash of home-made records with very bizarre frequency anomalies because hobbyists now have access to a tool that makes them feel powerful. They've heard of this mystical 1073 thing but could never afford to use one... and now they feel like they can! And so they will. A lot. All over the place.

I realize the above paragraph sounds snobby and for that, I apologize. I'm at odds with that sentiment, because I am fundamentally a populist and I believe in the democratization of technology. I don't want to put anyone down and I certainly don't feel that only the rich or the established should have access to good sonic tools. I'm someone whose life has benefitted greatly from the advancement of technology and its increasing affordability. So I ain't no elitist.

Hooray for the UA1073 plug-in, but I guess I'm just concerned that people understand that skill is still the best EQ in the world. Y'know?

--- Chad
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya
Hooray for the UA1073 plug-in, but I guess I'm just concerned that people understand that skill is still the best EQ in the world. Y'know?
And when skill is unavailable, there are always presets!

Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

This thread has been amusing to me. It's a fine-sounding eq --- and I'm all for technological progress --- but reports of its magic healing properties are a bit exaggerated. It's a terrific musical tool like the rest of the UA plug-ins. The future is indeed bright for native DAW audio, which grows in power exponentially every year.

The thing about the 1073 plug-in that everyone should beware: it has a lot of torque. Making good EQ decisions requires good hearing and good logical thinking (i.e. "Which frequencies of this instrument would I like to emphasize with respect to its surrounding musical landscape? Which frequencies of this instrument would I like to de-emphasize with respect to its surrounding musical landscape?") In my opinion, most people do not have a good ear for this sort of thing. The fact that the 1073 plug-in is more powerful than many other digital EQs (i.e. turning a knob yields a strong, identifiable shift in sound), making the right decision becomes more important!

I say this as a mastering engineer who works on lots of records by both professionals and hobbyists alike. It's remarkable to me how easy it is to make a bad decision with EQ... I almost feel like people should have to pass a test before they start using a 1073! I would say that, for the vast majority of people, getting their hands on a 1073 is not necessarily a good thing. I'm expecting a rash of home-made records with very bizarre frequency anomalies because hobbyists now have access to a tool that makes them feel powerful. They've heard of this mystical 1073 thing but could never afford to use one... and now they feel like they can! And so they will. A lot. All over the place.

I realize the above paragraph sounds snobby and for that, I apologize. I'm at odds with that sentiment, because I am fundamentally a populist and I believe in the democratization of technology. I don't want to put anyone down and I certainly don't feel that only the rich or the established should have access to good sonic tools. I'm someone whose life has benefitted greatly from the advancement of technology and its increasing affordability. So I ain't no elitist.

--- Chad

Great post Chad and so true
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

--- Chad
Lucky that we can only run a few instances on each card then eh? heh
Old 6th June 2006
Here for the gear

I know it's been said before but this plug really highlights the need for a new UAD. I just bought one (I was waiting for the supposedly due soon UAD-2..) and I'm already pissed at the number of plug instances I can get. A heap of the UAD plugs are unreal, and for that I thank Universal Audio, but c'mon guys, it's REALLY time to update your card.

Seriously.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have been using the UAD Neve a little more now, and have to say that my first impressions remain the same.

The eq is very responsive, it has that smooth shelve control that i have not heard on other digital eq's.

The high boost is very nice and it really adds a certain edge to a dull / lifeless recording.

I have never used a real 1073, but its doesnt bother me much... as you cannot miss what you have not heard / used.

For me, the UAD Neve has a special character which has multiple uses for me. Its a definate keeper.

I cannot wait for the Neve stereo compressor and the other 1081 eq.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search