The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IS WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION BETTER FOR AUDIO
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

IS WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION BETTER FOR AUDIO

Hey Everyone,

I am currrently getting my new dedicated audio only Laptop up and running. I just purchased a HP with the Duocore Intel. I already have my Mac G4 laptop for everything but audio. This new computer will never go on line and the only programs it will run until further notice are Nuendo 3, Wavelab 6, Nero for Backup, Waves diamond, wave APA44, Printing software drivers as they relate to Audio, (Take sheets, CD graphics etc.) Hard drive formating and imaging software, RME audiolink software for digiface, and drumogog.

All software will be updated through a third windows computer to avoid catching "the mung." I need stability since this is how I make my living. Is there any reason to install anything other than Windows XP Home addition. I plan on only installing a barebones system. The only thing that requires networking is the wave APA processor. I have been following musicxp.net lately and will follow their advise on tuning the computer for audio.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cameron
Old 23rd May 2006
XP Home should be fine, AFAIK. XP Pro adds some advanced network capabilities (the ability to join a domain, which someone might need to join their work network from home, say). Just optimize your installation and you should be just fine.

When you get a new box from Dell, HP, etc, they come CRAMMED to the rafters with wizardware, adware, offerware, tutorials, and oodles of crapware, in general.

When I got a laptop from Dell a couple years back, it had 43 processes running on it after first bootup. When I got a beater box refurb P4 from them recently (it was cheap; it's quiet; I'm happy) it had a jaw-dropping 68 processes on it. Both machines are full-use machines and when I say full use, I mean everything form business development to audio to video to web design, but I still have both of them down to around 20 processes after boot -- and I could pare it down more with a little more effort. The Ram footprint after boot came down on the new box from about 185 MB to 112 MB. (The new box has Win Media Center Edition, which required removing a couple extra services to get rid of MCE support services I didn't want running in background.)
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I thought XP Home doesn't have multi-processor support. I'm not sure how this affects "dual-core" since I run Win XP Pro. Maybe I am mistaken?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I thought XP Home doesn't have multi-processor support. I'm not sure how this affects "dual-core" since I run Win XP Pro. Maybe I am mistaken?
its basicly just licencing on how many phyisical processors you can have, but still i wouldnt want to run home on a duel core processor. also you are garanteed support for many years to come with pro where as home is not.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

I just built a new computer with dual-dual cores. Quad-core. XP Pro REQUIRED fpr multi processor support.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

XP Pro is NOT required for Dual Core single chip or quad core single chip.

XP Pro is required for multiple physical processors

XP Home and Pro are identical for pro audio.
totally pointless to go pro unless your doing mulitple cpus.
the only benefit to it is its easier to remote access your main daw with a laptop in the recording booth.

Scott
ADK
Old 23rd May 2006
Thanks, Scott... good to have an authoritative answer from someone in the biz.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

XP home does not support "software raid" HD configurations.
Or should i say it does not support "dynamic disks"... and therefore
there´s no raid support....

Also the remote desktop functionalities are limited.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

i would question anyones sanity as to why you would do software raid.

thats what hardware raid is for.

FYI software raid is a nono for audio.

there are few things that run better software vs hardware,
and they are all in the video editing broadcast level of things.

but then we are talking about 6-12 drive arrays on a dual opti anyway.

correct on the remote control features

Scott
ADK
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild
i would question anyones sanity as to why you would do software raid.

thats what hardware raid is for.

FYI software raid is a nono for audio.
Yep, i agree!

I didn´t recommend software raid. It´s not only a nono for audio.
It´s a nono for ...uhm... everything/everybody.
If you loose your OS (for some reason...) then your raid is also lost....
The appropriate slogan would be:
use win xp pro´s extended features - and get rid of your raid!heh
And it´s definetely slower...

I was talking about the differences between XP home and XP pro.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have three running computers and I 'own' two instances of XP Pro, one instance of XP Home, and one or two instances of 98SE. The XP Home is put away, un-installed, un-used, it has gone to the big null in the sky, it is not running, it is no more, it is singing with the 3.0 choir. My instance of XP Home would be buried with a stake through its install-CD-ROM heart except I do not wish to pollute the ground.

best,

john
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

The response to my posting was deleted, but I got it in email, and I realized that in my haste to pay homage to the Norwegian Blue parrot, I neglected to clarify that the instance of XP Home was installed at one time on my Rambus box. It kept making computing decisions for me - decisions I did not want it to make. Especially the decision to phone home to Redmond at the most inconvenient times. So I had to buy an instance of XP Pro to be able to stop Windows from 'helping' me.

best,

john
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
the only benefit to it is its easier to remote access your main daw with a laptop in the recording booth.

which you can easily solve by downloading Real VNC or Dameware, etc.
Old 24th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney
The response to my posting was deleted, but I got it in email, and I realized that in my haste to pay homage to the Norwegian Blue parrot, I neglected to clarify that the instance of XP Home was installed at one time on my Rambus box. It kept making computing decisions for me - decisions I did not want it to make. Especially the decision to phone home to Redmond at the most inconvenient times. So I had to buy an instance of XP Pro to be able to stop Windows from 'helping' me.

best,

john
Thanks for the response, John.

Happily, once I got done optimizing XP Home and XP WMCE, they've been well-behaved but I know how frustrating an "undisciplined" machine can be. Sometimes they're like teenagers with ADD...
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonv
which you can easily solve by downloading Real VNC or Dameware, etc.
but they are not the same thing
Old 25th May 2006
mwd
Gear Maniac

XP Home vs Pro for your audio apps would be transparent. As mentioned, network connectivity, dual processors, remote desktop and Pro has a backup feature (which I hear can be unlocked in Home).

I used Home for many years, no probs, before converting to XP Pro.

What will make a HUGE difference is a Retail version and fresh install to get rid of all the branded crap, please buy me trials and sign up here garbage.

This will bring your system to the bare bones, easy manage OS that you would probably desire. I had to get DVD player software was about it.

This also allows you to have a more stable means to restore your system one of these days (if necessary) instead of some of the on drive hidden system restore methods.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd
XP Home vs Pro for your audio apps would be transparent. As mentioned, network connectivity, dual processors, remote desktop and Pro has a backup feature (which I hear can be unlocked in Home).

I used Home for many years, no probs, before converting to XP Pro.

What will make a HUGE difference is a Retail version and fresh install to get rid of all the branded crap, please buy me trials and sign up here garbage.

This will bring your system to the bare bones, easy manage OS that you would probably desire. I had to get DVD player software was about it.

This also allows you to have a more stable means to restore your system one of these days (if necessary) instead of some of the on drive hidden system restore methods.
OEMs are like night and day! (companies not the software)

we use XP Home and Pro (OEM) there is no i repeat NO differance in the 2 from retail ver..
is all about what Dell etc loads...

we on the other hand remove stuff from a base install not add crap you dont need.
funny AOL has contacted us numerous times. the last offer was $50 per computer if we just install it.

i told them they could off $200 and i wouldnt do it! heh

FYI @$50 per thats a cool 30k in my pocket for nothing per yr.
sorry not on my boxes~

Scott
ADK
Old 26th May 2006
You're a good person, Scott.

You're right about the crapware -- it's installed by the vendor. I had OEMs of W98 and XP and the only diff between it and retail was that... hmm... you couldn't install it OVER another version of the OS, if I recall. (ie, it had to be a clean install or a reinstall over itself; you couldn't install Win 98 over, say, Win 95, and keep your settings.)

But they installed with no crapware, offerware, etc.

OTOH in early 2004, my Dell laptop came with something in the mid-40s of processes running after first boot, mostly offerware, wizardware, etc.

When I got a cheapo, refurb Dell beater box a few months ago it had 67 processes running when I first booted it.

Taking out 48 of them really sped things up. heh And reduced the RAM footprint by about 50%...

PS... that's a shocking figure on the AOL offerware. Damn. No wonder all the big guys do it.

Maybe you could offer your systems two ways... give a $25 rebate if they're willing to take a box with the pox... er, with the friendly little AOL offerware running. heh
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
XP Pro is NOT required for Dual Core single chip or quad core single chip.

XP Pro is required for multiple physical processors

I thought that was what I said..........just really really badly

Thanks for correcting my lack of communication
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

Since we're on the subject:

I recently bought a Dell laptop with XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2, any problems with running an audio DAW (or video for that matter) I should know about?

Anything I should turn off in Media Center edition or other tweaks that will optimize for audio/video?

STRATEGY
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

www.musicxp.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATEGY
Since we're on the subject:

I recently bought a Dell laptop with XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2, any problems with running an audio DAW (or video for that matter) I should know about?

Anything I should turn off in Media Center edition or other tweaks that will optimize for audio/video?

STRATEGY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search