The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Rig 2 and DAW integration
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Guitar Rig 2 and DAW integration

I am trying to decide which guitar sim to get for an upcoming project.

I cant use real amps for now, so save the comments, I can always reamp.... i am considering Amplitube or guitar Rig 2 from NI.

My only confusion is on the integration for GTR Rig 2 in Logic or any other DAW for that matter. If I do not want to use it as standalone, but use it as plugin, does it work the same as every other sim plug... meaning, how does wah wah data get recorded to the dtrack if you are not use the stomp box IO? IS it recorded as midi data on a seperate midi track or am I missing something completely? does it get recorded as Automation on the audio track?

I am a bit hesitant to get that joint just cause I think the implementation might be crap for DAWs. it makes me want to stick with the simple Amplitube, but I found that program a bit muddy.

Thaughts from people not using it as a standalone?
thanks
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Id assume it would be controlled by what ever means your daw used for automation.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, I was assuming that too, but I would like to see how effectively it actually works. Anyone actualy integrate this into Logic? Gearsluts probably isnt thebest place for this, but it is music computers....
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

It should just load as a normal plugin, like any other.
It's a vst right?
Don't know about the wah, I bet you can control it with midi.

I tried many wah plugins for a project, but they're pretty much all lousy.
Very bad sound.

At the end I used one from Ultrafunk. Pretty reasonable thing. I didn't control the filters though, I had it on auto, same bpm as the song.
But that stupid thing should recognize input, cause everytime I bounced the wah track it sounded different then the previous one (filters running 24/7! )

But back to the amp sim:

If you're after a big metal sound you can pretty much forget about it.
Amplitube is a mediocre, noisy thing.
Guitar Rig (I know only version 1) is IMHO worthless, especially for heavy distortion.

There's also a freeware plug called Coretex, with which I've had reasonable results.

I remember a Nomad Factory amp sim. Couldnt get one decent tone out of it.

Anyway, goodluck with it, but see if you can buy an sm57 or something and mic your little amp if you have one. I bet it will blow al the soft-amp-sims straight out of the water.

That's the current amp sim situation IMHO.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Guitar Rig integrates pedal control via a second line in (1/4"). It reads this line in as a tone on the right track and wahs accordingly. Therefore, if you record a direct stereo track from the footboard, it will read the tone input from the left channel, and the pedal control input from the right channel. It will print the track on input thru the plugin with your guitar sound on both the L and R channels. I hope that made sense.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just a note: I misspelled Cortex as Coretex.
So it's Cortex. Not Coretex. Euh....

Wurr Audio's GreenMachine is pretty cool IMO.

CamelPhat...?? -haven't tried this one yet-
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Alex,
That was exactly what I was looking for... Thanks man.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a love/hate relationship with Guitar Rig2, but it's definitely the best Amp sim out there - and it's use goes way beyond guitars.

Here's a few bits of info:

1) don't waste your money on the full package with the foot controller - get the software only. Most Mac users are still having big problems with this unit, it uses up a USB2 port, and it adds too much extra cost to the package.

2) If you want a foot controller, buy the behringer midi floorboard controller, or try to get a hold of a Guitar Rig v.1 controller.

3) After installing, go straight to NI's website and download the latest 2.0.2 Mac update that just came out a couple of days ago. Before this, automation was not even possible in Logic!!

peace, -G
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Alex is spot-on... Exactly. As far as sound, the "classic tube amp" sims are very useful and the ability to mix & match cabs, mics, placements, etc are also very useful.

I also agree with the comment about "heavy distortion" - it CAN be bright and harsh. You just can not replicate the amount of air that moves when laying down trax with a JCM 800 and a 4x12 cab (or like rig).

FYI: I have found that the tweed and "classic" amps sound fat and heavy once you "replicate" the real world recording process: Double track them, switch gtrs and pickup combos and play with the cabs, mics, room, etc. Pan 'em hard left and right, and it's close... All in all, Gtr Rig is the best I've heard in a sim...

I never use Amplitube anymore. Dated for me.

HOWEVER, here's a great "analog" alternative - and it works very well: Axetrak - http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/

I own one and I have used it on the road, hotels and other "spaces' to track ideas. In fact, I had a great riff going and since the laptop was up, I doubled the track with Gtr Rig for more "color" and it was way fat (for what it is). Of course, nothing beats a great tube amp pushed to break up with the right mics and pres.

BUT, back to the AxeTrak...

It has a proprietary build with an altered 57 mic ( mounted slightly off axis & fixed inside - it never moves) and I believe it has an 8" speaker... The specs are on the website. Oh, yeah; XLR out for DI, fuse protected, pro built unit.

Even with the amp cranked, I could play my guitar with tons of crunch and have a normal conversation with someone in the room right near the AxeTrak. Fully cranked, the box is no louder than the volume of a TV set - at the volume your parents would listen to it. Really.

What's also cool is there's a small cover that can be removed to push some air and even then, it's only about 25% louder.

If you're in an apartment or the like, this thing is a great "Analog" alternative.

Check the AxeTrak out. You may be surprised. I was.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search