The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for help in Samplitude - total newbie stuff
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Looking for help in Samplitude.

I am checking out Samplitude for the very first time. I have to say, the very short and shallow time I've spent with it leaves me very impressed. Th problem is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Is there anyone here who could get me through the initial rough patches?

Primarily, my problem is with importing wavs into a project. I was trying to take 44.1/24 wavs and import them into a 96/24 project. I've yet to be able to do this successfully. I eventually just loaded them as 44.1/24 was out of frustration. I got it playing but I was experiencing in and out audio in the very first part of the song. It then seems to even out. The weird part is that the CPU meter reads 2-5% and the disk meter reads 100%. that suggests to me that the wavs aren't loaded to the right place. But I'm not sure.

I'll tell you though, I've been using SONAR 5 pro and Samp seems to be on a different level. The latencies I'm able to acheive are SIGNIFICANTLY lower. A project I got down to 5.3ms is SONAR I get down to 1.1 in Samplitude. Does that seem possible?

Anyway, thanks for your help. If someone could answer a few beginner questions to get me out of the gate, I would be forever grateful.

dan

Last edited by redddog; 24th May 2006 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: title misleading
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog

Primarily, my problem is with importing wavs into a project. I was trying to take 44.1/24 wavs and import them into a 96/24 project. I've yet to be able to do this successfully. I eventually just loaded them as 44.1/24 was out of frustration. I got it playing but I was experiencing in and out audio in the very first part of the song. It then seems to even out. The weird part is that the CPU meter reads 2-5% and the disk meter reads 100%. that suggests to me that the wavs aren't loaded to the right place. But I'm not sure.

dan
Weird, I seem to remember doing this without a problem...

Not sure what's going on, any reason why you don't upsample the tracks to 96/25 1st and see if that helps ?

Are the files you're trying to import and the files already there all on the same physical disk ?

Maybe a few more details about your system would help...

Cheers,

Nathan
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Got it going. Problem was that the wavs were never leaving the disk. So when I copied the wavs into the project they would stream from the disk and not the HD. So I set up a new project, minimized it then went into the drive that I designated the project to and copied the wavs into that from the disk. Then went back into the project and loaded the wavs into the project from the hd. It finally worked.

I'll tell you, Samp's pretty impressive. It seems like a much better fit for me as I rarely use midi. I don't even forsee a time when I would use it. All audio recording for me. SONAR, which I'm using now, seems like more of an all around program doing a lot of different things well, while Samp does less things great. This seems to be confirmed: the overall performance in terms of latency and cpu use is FAR better. A project I had going in SONAR was runnung at 5.3ms with a stray click or pop with CPU at 37 - 48%. That same project I'm running in Samp at 1ms with the CPU at 2-8%. It seems impossible to me but that's what the numbers say. It also sounds great. I'm really pumped.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

I've been on Samp for 3 years. It smokes everything else I've tried. And the midi is fine I use it all the time..
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

Another new Samplitude user question

How can I set up a click track? Not just the metronome, but actually record that to a track?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpianoman

How can I set up a click track? Not just the metronome, but actually record that to a track?
Never done this myself, but if you need to record the metronome to a track for some reason I think you will have to send it out of your converters/soundcard and record it back in to a new track.

Haven't come across any other way to do it anyway.

Nathan
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpianoman

I just went in to the samplitude folder took the wavs they use for the click track, imported them into a track on the project, then I makea few bars of click and copy paste the rest for a few minutes. Done.

I love samplitude, 3 years ago when i started using it , it was the 1st to do latency compensation and it made life so simple for me and my uad-1. and i'n not sure but everything started to sound better. I'm way more comfortable mixing in samplitude. but I still find the vsti integration, a little lacking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search