The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
to Raptor or not.....
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

to Raptor or not.....

If I plan on working at 24/96, should I buy a raptor for my audio drive , or will a regular 7200 rpm SATA drive work do me just as well ? I´ve seen where formating a normal 7200 rpm sata drive with 64 kb cluster size improves audio performance of audio files. How many tracks of 96 khz audio can I run with both types of drives ? Thanks, Luke
Old 22nd May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

I use a small SATA Raptor 36g, but i only track in 24/44.1, so you may want to opt for the larger variety. I like to dump my audio files to another drive quite often. One reason I like the 36g is the format speed. Waiting for several hours on a 120g drive is aggravating. Since all of my pc innards & DAW were upgraded since I last used a 7200rpm, I honestly couldn't tell you how much improvement there is. I look at it like insurance...you can never have too much. I don't see any reason you couldn't format a 10k drive the same cluster size and still see an improvement, if that's the case.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search