The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves SSl vs SSL Duende VS Focusrite LM Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

I don't know the Waves SSL, but I know my Duende and LM. I got rid of the LM because everything started to sound the same and I couldn't get past the boring interface .
The Duende I truely like. You can use it on everything, enough DSP power and in combination with my 4 UAD's it's a winner combo for me.

But fairly, I think you cannot compare the 3 of them because the 1's and 0's are all different on the 3 plugin, so i guess the sound will also be different heh
Old 2nd July 2007
Lives for gear

I've tried all 3. The 2 only contenders are the Duende and Waves SSL. The liquid mix just didn't sound like it was in the same league.
Between the 2 contenders I prefered the Duende strip. Both were good the Duende was better. To me more musical and less pinched in the mid range.
Old 2nd July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
I've tried all 3. The 2 only contenders are the Duende and Waves SSL. The liquid mix just didn't sound like it was in the same league.
Between the 2 contenders I prefered the Duende strip. Both were good the Duende was better. To me more musical and less pinched in the mid range.
did u try the duende in Protools? together with other plug ins? no issues?
Old 2nd July 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry I use Nuendo. There are issues with my system and Duende. Usually my system is rock solid but I guess it don't like firewire. I get 8 chs @ 96K stable. After that things can get wierd. I'll have a new system shortly and hopefully get better results. With that said, even with the issues I can't pull it from my rig. I tried but they're that good. I had to re-install.
Old 2nd July 2007
I heard you should have to have only duende in any Firewire port....never have a Lacie Hard drive..and sometimes just change your firewire card.....

I really do not know if with these will eliminate all the bugs..
Old 2nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
I heard you should have to have only duende in any Firewire port....never have a Lacie Hard drive..and sometimes just change your firewire card.....

I really do not know if with these will eliminate all the bugs..
My Duende shared the same FW-card as my LiquidMix and it was plugged in my Magmachassis and running rock solid. So as always you have to be lucky sometimes I guess heh
Old 2nd July 2007
Lives for gear

Nothing on the firewire card but Duende. We've been sorting out issues with 4 different cards/ the hotfix for windows firewire etc.. Everytime you change your card windows messes with the firewire registry. I'm gonna start from scratch with the new system and keep my fingers crossed. This is the only issue I've ever had using windows for music apps. This is also the first time I've depended on firewire.
Old 2nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Nothing on the firewire card but Duende. We've been sorting out issues with 4 different cards/ the hotfix for windows firewire etc.. Everytime you change your card windows messes with the firewire registry. I'm gonna start from scratch with the new system and keep my fingers crossed. This is the only issue I've ever had using windows for music apps. This is also the first time I've depended on firewire.
Sorry to hear that. In my setup I currently have 2 FW cards. 1 for my RME FF800 and the other 1 for my Duende. The 1 for my Duende is a Lacie and the other 1 is a FW800 kit from Sitecom. Maybe this will help you find a solid setup. Good luck
Old 2nd July 2007
Well an SSL rep told me that Lacie Hard drives(firewire) are the worst for duende.
Duende sounds great...but seems is so picky and unconsistent...some people have issues when others don't..the situation is that is not any "safe" way to avoid the issues...may worlk for you and not from others...that is why I did not buy duende...and also seems you can not try it and return it if does not work for you because is considered software!!!
Old 3rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
.that is why I did not buy duende...and also seems you can not try it and return it if does not work for you because is considered software!!!
Not sure about that..I have a LM and I know I can take it back if I want I made sure of that.. It's sort of hardware/software so he was like you if you don't like it bring it back..

So I'm still testing.
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndrock View Post
... get to work! Don't look back. Don't read this thread anymore, or any others like it. It's only going to keep you occupied while somebody out there steals your work.

that's very funny, coming from the guy who resurrected a year-old thread .

"WAKE UP AND GET TO SLEEP!"

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd July 2007
Lives for gear
the reasons i haven't tried Duende:

1) reportedly not very stable but most importantly because:

2) mutliple units can't be cascaded. i'd want at least 32 channels @ 96kHz if i liked it. that's the real dealbreaker for me.

really enjoy the Waves/SSL plugs (can instantiate 64 RTAS channels on Intel Quad G5 without breaking a sweat), but i'd find a cleaner version (C200 or K sound) very appealing too. hint hint.
Old 3rd July 2007
Solid State Logic

Hint, hint?

Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well an SSL rep told me that Lacie Hard drives(firewire) are the worst for duende.
Duende sounds great...but seems is so picky and unconsistent...some people have issues when others don't..the situation is that is not any "safe" way to avoid the issues...may worlk for you and not from others...that is why I did not buy duende...and also seems you can not try it and return it if does not work for you because is considered software!!!
To me it seems that a harddrive isn't the same as a FW Card though!!!
I've rran Duende to the MB firewire and to several FW cards with no issue's at all. I'm still on v1.5 since I don't have any need yet for the drumstrip.
Hope you get a chanche to try things out, cause it's worth it thumbsup
Old 3rd July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySX View Post
To me it seems that a harddrive isn't the same as a FW Card though!!!
I've rran Duende to the MB firewire and to several FW cards with no issue's at all. I'm still on v1.5 since I don't have any need yet for the drumstrip.
Hope you get a chanche to try things out, cause it's worth it thumbsup
I really liked it....just scared to get stuck with a unit i can not give back.....and yes they told me specificly Lacie hardrives ...maybe because they mess the firewire card ability to connect others devices the right way...anyway....I am sure the lucky Duende users must be very happy.
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
But is Duende finally working without any problems and bugs?
As long as it's the only thing on your FW bus it's rock solid!

The CS200 eq and dynamics are modeled on the 9000 series consoles but the Duende plug-ins were ported from the CS200 and then apparently tweaked a little to sound even closer to the 9K.

In the same way the E series switch on a K/J series does not make it sound like an E series the Duende sounds like an SSL but not quite the same as any other. They all have similar characters but are subtly different animals.

IMO this is a great sounding box- a bit smoother than the Waves plugs and with the X-comp and X-EQ I think it's very dangerous indeed. Hoping to get another one asap ;-)
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
As long as it's the only thing on your FW bus it's rock solid!
I wish that was the case. Many users are having problems with only Duende on the firewire card buss. I've tried 3 systems, 4 different cards on to my 4th system.

It's a testament to how good the plugins are that I continue to use the box. I still can't get on the 3rd DSP and every now and then I get locked out of the tracks that have Duende inserted. I have to reboot the system, sometimes having to save the settings as banks, remove the inserts, save the proj and then reopen Nuendo. It happens less but still does happen.
Old 27th February 2008
Solid State Logic

Are our support team on the case helping you out?
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

i had the 3rd dsp problem too! got my first duende changed, the new box is working with all dsp at 44,1khz. but at 96khz it´s very unstable. got a new mainboard last week and by now it´s more stable but i still can´t use more plugins than 50%. ssl says 32 mono plugins at 44.1 and 16 at 96khz. but i can´t load more than 7.

hope to have a better driver soon. cause the 2-duende feature isn´t possible at the moment.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Since you asked Jim, I've given up for the moment.
I did the whole support thing. Sent debug logs, tried PCI latency adjustments. SSL's last response was a bandwidth limitation on my PCI bus and suggested increasing my buffers to 1024 (was set to 1024) and really elementary things related to my video card which were not an issue. I guess 3 different systems all have the same limitations?
I'm still researching my new system. This will be the last system I go through. If my unit still isn't working I'm going to assume there is an issue with the 3rd dsp which SSL has assured me couldn't be the problem though the unit has yet to work on any system once the 3rd dsp is engaged. Even one instance. Been using the unit since the pc drivers were online. Going on 2 yrs soon. I don't love the box but I do love the plugins.
Old 28th February 2008
Gear Addict

Wow! what is the deal with SSL Duende??

I only hear that sounds great...but at the end does not work good at all!!...full of problems!

That sounds like a hot chick that really looks great and you have to spend very good money to have her...she really makes you look cool...but .....
in bed she is a disaster and in top of that full of crazy problems!
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Neon, there are many users that have had success. I'm not sure what makes the difference. It's not like every user has problems but they do exist. My systems are usually pretty solid but I've had to deal with some extra issues since Duende.

All said, I put up with the issues because I really like having the 8 chs @96k that I can use.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
[B][SIZE=3]

...but .....
in bed she is a disaster and in top of that full of crazy problems!
LMAO...Quote of the day.

...Maybe they have a hormone patch for the Duende too.
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiz7 View Post
LMAO...Quote of the day.

...Maybe they have a hormone patch for the Duende too.
You mean quote of the past year since it was that long ago
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
[B][SIZE=3]in bed she is a disaster and in top of that full of crazy problems!
Actually, she's great in bed - some people have trouble getting her there.
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Head

Go with the waves

I had the duende and it sucked!!!!!! Go with the waves ssl for sure.
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear

SSL Waves vs DUende vs UAD !

Owning both Duende and UAD I was forced to download the demo of the Waves SSL 4000 collection too...
Comparing the EQ sections in the channelstrip was my intention, at 44.1 kHz.
The newer G-channel in the Waves collection was not sounding good at all so we go directly to the original E-Channel which is sounding quite allright, very similar to both Duende ( G-type ) and UAD 4K ( E-type ) but with a small dip at the top end, almost as a LPF even thogh the filters are out...
Anyway my conclusion is that the UAD is sounding almost the same as the Duende but not as open in the top end , and Waves is not sounding very bad either but is slightly behind the other two.
The EQ setting is 6 dB boost at 16 kHz and 5 dB cut at 143 Hz and down, for example male pop vocals in a cheesy ballad.

Audio 11: SSL Audio 13: UAD Audio 14: Waves
Old 11th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
When you've worked onj the 9000 series you know that the G switch doesn't produce a G sound .

Volodia
If youve worked on a 9000 you would know its an E switch, and all it does it make the Q control behave like a E.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search