The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dual 1.8 Powermac G5 or Macbook Pro 2ghz?
Old 21st May 2006

Question Dual 1.8 Powermac G5 or Macbook Pro 2ghz?

Help!

I need some pro advice, I have both a dual 1.8 1gb ram Powermac G5 & a Macbook Pro 2ghz with 1gb ram. My question is do I need both? I'm currently changing sound interface and will be using an rme 800 & an mbox when im on the move, the macbook pro dosent have firewire 800 so will this mean that I will lose quality on the macbook?
I only record Hip Hop & RnB and use a maximum of 20 tracks at one time. I have been told that my macbook pro kicks my G5 in to touch, however i'm not convinced just how can a laptop be as powerfull as my G5?

Q1. What is the performance difference between both mac's? (7200rpm drives in both)
Q2. Will the RME 800 work better on the G5 because of the firewire 800?
Q3. In your opinion what would you do?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your time.
Old 21st May 2006
Deleted User
Dual 1.8 Powermac G5 or Macbook Pro 2ghz?

It all depends on how much versatility you need and if you need cash. In terms of flexibility by keeping both you have:
(1) A backup machine in case something fails on the one
(2) If the software you use (like Logic Pro) allows it, you could offload processing to the G5
(3) Use the G5 for applications that aren't universal yet

You are using an mbox so a Universal version of ProTools is not available yet (end of may?) and this means keeping the G5 a while longer until ProTools universal is available and stable. In terms of the RME you don't lose quality on the Firewire 400 connection, it only affects throughput. Firewire800 never really took off as expected and people realised that Firewire400 is not a bad option afterall.

In terms of processing it seems that the macbook pros when running universal applications in some cases better or equal the G5s. It all depends on what you are doing and putting more RAM in the macbook or the G5 will improve performance. I haven't tested the difference between the 2 but it seems the macbook will give slightly more raw power than the G5.

If it were me and I had some extra cash:
(1) Keep both machines for the flexibility/options
(2) put an extra 1 gig of RAM in both and improve the performance of both

hope this helps,
Reynaud
Old 21st May 2006

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I don´t know what app you are using but in Logic you can set up one machine as a node and use the processing power of both machines.
Old 22nd May 2006

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
I don´t know what app you are using but in Logic you can set up one machine as a node and use the processing power of both machines.

Sound interesting, I'm using Logic pro 7.2. Any ideas on how to do this or where I might find the info?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Node comes on your disk I believe, go to apple.com support forums for some advice.

It is a hot feature.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
Only logic? Or can you do this with any? Specifically for my purposes DP?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerj
Only logic? Or can you do this with any? Specifically for my purposes DP?
This is something specific for Logic as I understand it but perhaps DP have a similar function??

It´s a nice little feature about it in this sos issue.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...applenotes.htm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search