The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this USB 1 or 2?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Is this USB 1 or 2?

I have no idea how to tell what this computer has on it. It's a second generation dual 2.0 Gig G5. It must be USB 1.0, right? I figure if it were 2.0 they'd have made a big deal out of it.

The reason I need to know is that I'm gonna have to be downloading compact flash cards later. I have two 2 gig cards and one 4 gig card but the problem is that I can't find a firewire card reader locally (which I think is dumb).

The USB reader will work with 2.0 or 1.0 but I can't figure out what this computer has on it.

I think that if it's one I'm gonna have to buy a couple more CF cards.

Thanks.

edit: I've posted a picture of the USB profile. Does the version 1.0 at the bottom mean that's the version of the hub (there are USB hubs in both of the monitors, and they're Apple monitors) or does it refer to the whole USB kit and caboodle?
Attached Thumbnails
Is this USB 1 or 2?-picture-12.jpg  
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Max,

the data transfer screams USB 1.1 im afraid
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Yah, ok. that's what I though. If only I could get a firewire CF card reader, my troubles would be over.

Thanks.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

A dual 2.0 G5 undoubtedly has USB 2.0. My guess is that part where you see the slow transfer speed of 12mbps for the "hub" is referring to your keyboard. The Apple pro keyboard has 2 USB ports that only run at 1.1 speed, but the ports on the computer itself should all be at 2.0 speeds.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Max,

FWIW the Front and Rear USB Ports on my Second Generation Dual Processor G5 2.0GHZ (Same PC as yours if I recall) are both USB 2.0 Ports.

I plug my USB Hard Drive in all the time and it is 50-60mb/s transfer rate.
But as I am sure you know already, the ports on the keyboard or monitor (if u actually own a Apple Display, which i do not) should be low-voltage USB1.1

Let me know if I can help,

Scott.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Oooh, oooh! You guys are the bomb!

This sounds more like it. I woulda never figured out that you don't get the full speed thru the hub, but of course, how else could it work?

That's really good to know.

Thanks!

So is 480mbps more like what USB 2.0 should be?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search