The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Elemental Audio acquired by Roger Nichols...
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, seriously, the prices just dropped by, what, a hundred bucks a plugin?

I guess that was a special introductory price.

You like the way it kinda doesn't matter what they cost?

"Y'know, $250, $350, whatever they'll pay!"

Blecch. Leaves a bad taste in yer mouth.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know, I think the fact that he lowered the prices right away is a good sign. He is clearly listening and willing to respond. $249 a pop is a bit higher than what I'd pay for a plugin (any plugin) but is certainly comparable to what other plugs are going for. All he needs to do now is offer bundles with price breaks based on how many you buy, and come up with the occasional sale.

I think he wasn't quite ready to make the distribution deal public, and that's part of the problem right now. The web site wasn't ready, all the plugins haven't been changed over to iLok and his look and presets yet, and he didn't seem to check out fully what the pricing should be.

The fact of the matter is, these are great plugins. I'm glad I got them for the older pricing, but I certainly plan on using them as long as I can. It's not like they've suddenly gone "bad" just because they have a different distributor. And if the cross grade to the RND versions is affordable enough I'll do that as well later on.

There will be a free UB version of them from EA as promised, so I don't see what all the hand wringing is about, other than pricing and iLok. But some people won't use a plugin unless it *has* iLok, so the issue really is that there are basically two types of customer bases: iLok users and non-iLok users. PSP is going through the same thing right now.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
I don't know, I think the fact that he lowered the prices right away is a good sign. He is clearly listening and willing to respond.
No, no, no!!!

This makes them look as a friggin greedy company. Yeah, ok, let's charge whatever the market will bear ... the thing is, EA had already done its homework in this respect. RND just made up an arbitrary price for the "added value" of outfitting the plugs with an RND logo and a funny name.

This is an insult to intelligence. We're not idiots.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx
No, no, no!!!

This makes them look as a friggin greedy company. Yeah, ok, let's charge whatever the market will bear ... the thing is, EA had already done its homework in this respect. RND just made up an arbitrary price for the "added value" of outfitting the plugs with an RND logo and a funny name.

Damn right, copperx.

Great move Roger! Now thay are twice rather than triple the original price. Woooooo!!! You listened to us, Roger. At least now we're being offered lube while being bent over! Neato!! heh

You just can't please some people, and I guess I'm one of them. I could understand a 25% or even 50% rise in price as I'm sure it cost's extra money for iLok protection and definitely more money for boxing and printed materials. But I'm still not biting for $250. But hey, I'm just one potential customer. Pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things I suppose.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

In the one hand, I have a new logo for RND:

On the other hand, aren't we being too harsh towards a start-up company?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Kind of reminds me of Gas prices...

$2.39 a gallon...jumps to $2.79 a gallon...boom $3.09 a gallon....

America complains...price drops back to $2.79 a gallon and we are all happy again...

aarrgggg
Old 22nd May 2006
Here for the gear

I went to the roger nichols digital booth at the aes today and one of the guy told me that Inspector has not been released yet because they were adding a new feature to it (not only presets). I hope it's the same for the finis limiter, so it's quite a relative good news to know that those plug-ins are not gone forever.(I'm just wondering what the names will be????????? ).
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

i read in another forum that the inspector XL might be called the ANAL-izer. of course this could just be rumor. but i thought it was funny anyhow heh

then again, someone who would call a plug the BITCHIN-zer http://www.rndigital.com/Bitchin.html
wouldn't surprise me with any new names.

by the way just so we know what we're dealing with here. if you go to http://www.rogernichols.com/ and click on the tab "alien contact" you might have an idea where this is all headed

oh, and rndigital's forum was shut down.....i wonder why.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, this looks like money......

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
This once again validates (to myself anyway) my policy of buying minimal amounts of plugins and staying with hardware as much as possible.
so true...
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

geez guys. i just bought the whole EA bundle a week ago and now this happened!? WTF! i don't know if this is good or bad but i'd like to see a cross upgrade after sheeling out money to the company he bought. it would only be good bussiness.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

According to EA there will be an affordable crossgrade. And RND did not buy EA, they are just licensing and distributing the plugins.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx
No, no, no!!!

Whoa, everybody chill. Please. I understand being irritated but EA and RND... these are not massive evil corporations behind huge granite walls, guys. These are small companies with a handful of employees. And no one is getting rich off this stuff.

Charging what the market will bear is just fair capitalism. It's not greedy to lower your prices when your customers complain and/or boycott, it's just good business. RND misguaged the value of these products on the open market and then simply responded by changing the price to reflect the public's valuation.

Take a minute to realize what you're saying here: "HOW DARE THEY LISTEN TO OUR COMPLAINTS AND THEN RESPOND ACCORDINGLY!?!"

Perhaps give them credit for listening, realizing they made a mistake and then doing the right thing?

Regardless of how you see it, keep in mind: This is not war, famine or genocide y'know? Reserve your outrage for actual outrageous situations.

-- C
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

i agree there are worse things in the world to get angry about, but this IS a music gear forum not a political forum. besides, this DIRECTLY involves me personally because i was hoping to buy these plugs.

yes its his right to charge whatever he wants and its my right to go on gear forums and say F**k that, i'm not buying anything from that company.

by the way, i wonder if anyone bought the plugs at $350 on monday just to see the price go down to $250 on tuesday? that sure would get me angry.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs down By the way!!

By the way guyz!!

One thing for sure (as someone mentioned here before that maybe the xtra 100$ worth because there will be RN presets) but let me tell you one thing and i wish he does read these threads hear, Having the ORIGINALS EA plugins, been using them for a little while now and before RN comes in the pictures. So i didnt need Mr RN to give me freaking PReset to use the Plugins.. so i dont think that will change soon.. I still do not need him to run EA for the work i'm doing... so .. u know waht , that simply sucks... why didnt he simply announced that he is joining or merging with them blabalabal u know. that woul've been a bit acceptable but hey.. thats simply Business!! When u got money.. thats the way it works

Peace
Old 24th May 2006
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts
Yeah, this looks like money......

If they sound good I wouldnt care if plugins look like cocktail napkin drawings.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

After all, my only concern is iLok and how it prevents me to upgrade . I know it is only in my own head but anyway... ILok Fortunately I have already bought them all during the last years.

AaPee
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

I can hear it in the classrooms of every recording arts program across the globe...

...Now class, I'm going to select the Bitchin-izer from the rtas plugin menu. As you may have guessed already, this plugin takes a non-bitchin mix, bitchin-izes it, and creates a brand new bitchin' mix. Be careful not to over bitch it, just bitchin' enough so it's apprent but not overwhelming.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Jeez, lighten up, guys. Can't you see that, whatever you think of it, there's a sense of humor at work here? I think a bitchin-izer is...well...a bit on the amusing side, actually. Nutty as they are, those plugs have the flavor of someone's actual personality, and if you don't like them...jeez...don't freaking buy them. But I for one think it rocks (pricing debate aside) to put out something, especially in a business context, that's unique, distinctive, and particular -- and if "silly" happens to be part of that, so much the better. I wouldn't be surprised if people were pissed at these plugs (an amusing concept in itself) because they poke holes in (mock?) their pretentions about the "importance" of their craft and the "seriousness" of their gear.

You can be serious about your craft and still not take everything so goddam seriously.

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've been rather harsh on this topic, but I hate to see a fine company like EA go into unchartered territory like this. It feels much like Gibson buying Opcode. I simply get bothered when a good company/product seems like it's going in a bad direction.

As far as the GUI for the Bitchin-izer goes, I'd have a hard time having that on a screen with clients in the room. Nothing against humor here, the Funk Logic panels are good example of it done well.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

iLok Tax

Not to defend RND, but two years ago I checked for the cost of adding iLok to my software product and was SHOCKED with prices they were charging. Basically it was either "have iLok and make no profit" or "no iLok and let the pirates take away your profit". I chose the later.

I predict that many more plugin developers will look at ways of putting thier plugs into hardware to prevent the iLok tax and the pirates. SSL and Waves have shown the way...

Vermeer
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

atleast with the ilok, the one plus i've seen for it is that i can throw my plugin folder and settings folder onto a cd and drag it to the studio i'm working at as long as i've got the ilok with me no worries....

Unfortunately we can't do that with the challenge and response protection like the elemental audio of yesterday. I don't plan on upgrading them any time soon. I love the way they LOOK and sound.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Pace have reduced their pricing for iLok in the last 6 months (or so).

Rail
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymakestapes
I can hear it in the classrooms of every recording arts program across the globe...

...Now class, I'm going to select the Bitchin-izer from the rtas plugin menu. As you may have guessed already, this plugin takes a non-bitchin mix, bitchin-izes it, and creates a brand new bitchin' mix. Be careful not to over bitch it, just bitchin' enough so it's apprent but not overwhelming.
Hahahahaha! Nice one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet
Can't you see that, whatever you think of it, there's a sense of humor at work here? You can be serious about your craft and still not take everything so goddam seriously.
Yeah, but sense of humor can go too far when it comes to a professional company. Mackie manuals push the envelope at times, for example, but their products at least LOOK the part. Have some respect for your designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
If they sound good I wouldnt care if plugins look like cocktail napkin drawings.
Though the GUI shouldn't matter, it does, ya know? Make me feel like I'm using a tool, not a toy.
Old 27th May 2006
mwd
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer
Basically it was either "have iLok and make no profit" or "no iLok and let the pirates take away your profit". I chose the later.
Vermeer
I have had products pirated and I know the frustration. But I don't necessarily agree with the piracy theories or the "costing the industry billions" floating around out there.

Music vs. Software. In a given room of 20 kids everyone of them would love to have a copy of the latest Whumpa Bumpa CD and probably wouldn't think twice about burning it. I see the loss in the artist biz but I see software apps differently.

A warez user slaps down 20 bucks for a plug or app because it's there. It's cheap. Just because he bought warez doesn't mean if the crack wasn't there he would have bought the $300.00 plug or the $500.00 legit app.

While this is certainly theft... a sale you wouldn't have gotten in the first place is not lost revenue.

To think RND iLoked plugs won't be on the net for 20 bucks a few hours after released is pretty naive.

The plug bundle I spent 400 bucks for with EA was available for 68 at El Cheapo Software.

I opted to stay legit, support the developer for a great product.

The irony is now I feel pirated having been turned over to RND for my support and upgrade path with no choice but take it or leave it.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Well, software piracy is only a theory until you can see your sales slipping days after your software becomes available in warez sites. I've been there (had a popular CAD plugin years ago) and I had the stange feeling of being raped. Not fun....

iLok is good. Hardware is better.

Vermeer
Old 28th May 2006
mwd
Gear Maniac

Years ago in a totally different industry I had those same feelings. I would do a trade show of hand crafted southwest products, sell sample orders and then see my designs in stores a few months later with "made in the philippines" on the back of them. Knocked off for .83 cents an hour and it drove me crazy. So I do respect your plight.

Perhaps a consolation don't you think a lot of pirated software gets abandoned due to lack of support? Every product I buy is usually followed by 2 or 3 tech support questions where I log into my account and ask for help until I get settled in.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Wow, seriously, the prices just dropped by, what, a hundred bucks a plugin?

I guess that was a special introductory price.

Special Introductory Scam
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think this has totally soured me on plugins.

I won't be buying any more. Certainly not from RND.

Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

what a bummer.

the elemental audio plus were the first plugs i've bought in years. i try to use as little software as possible for all these obvious reasons...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search