The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD-1e Card is here!
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

UAD-1e Card is here!

Look here:

http://www.uaudio.com/products/digit...pak/index.html

Not sure if its the same power as the original UAD1, no mention of it being more powerful than its predecessor so looks doubtful?

Seems a little crazy after 3 or 4 year product life....
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

From the FAQ

"Is there more DSP on the PCIe card?
No, it is the same DSP chip as the UAD-1, but it runs more efficiently, so in some cases you will be able to load more plug-ins."

I wonder how hungry the new Neve plugs will be?
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

price?

any idea how much this thing is?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

If that is all UAD can muster at this time of Firewire devices then I am totally underwhelmed.

I was expecting some 'exciting' developments from them but a PCI-E card is just so obvious - I mean I know it is a natural step for the new macintel desktops, but with stuff like Nuende and Liquid Mix making it possible to record using the new macbooks then UAD are not competing.....I'm out, no buy for me.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

This is a little like when Nintendo released the Gameboy Advanced, I think. Not a big enough improvement over the original product.
Old 20th May 2006

You got to be ****ting me... All this anticipation for the new UA card, and no increase in processing power? What a disappointment.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

what a bunch of gypsies.

i guess this is probably a stopgap card?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

yah. they really need a UAD-2
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Add another vote under disappointment heretutt
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I can't believe they have someone around to still put out that old graphics chip for them (or they must have a HUGE stockpile).

However, as far as I can tell, the theoretical 1Ghz+ of processing power in the UAD-1 still rivals the 4X150mhz chips in the latest TC electronic card. I guess it's how you spend your plug-in power. ie: I bet TC developers need to be more conservative with their CPU usage than UA does (consequently, UA's hardware models are generally perceived as more accurate).

Still, UA should have come up with a Firewire solution by now...
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squelch
I wonder how hungry the new Neve plugs will be?
"And like the Pultecs, the UAD Neve 1073 upsamples incoming audio to 192k in order to get the resolution the numerics required to accurately emulate the filters. Due to this upsampling, a single UAD-1 can run only 4 mono or 3 stereo versions of the UAD Neve 1073. Because of this, we decided to design the UAD Neve 1073SE, a less DSP-intensive version that does no upsampling. The 1073SE gets 16 mono or 15 stereo instances (I have not confirmed these numbers-TB) on a single UAD-1 card."
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

The video on UA's website says the UADe card works with the new "Intel-powered Macs." Oh, yeah? Which one? Still, good to see a pulse at UA, albeit a weak one.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion
The video on UA's website says the UADe card works with the new "Intel-powered Macs." Oh, yeah? Which one? Still, good to see a pulse at UA, albeit a weak one.
The developer machines with Intel processors were all Power Macs (and I'm assuming they had PCIe slots). My guess is they did the Universal Binaries at the same time so that come August (when Intel Power Macs are expected) the UAD-1e will work right away. Until then, someone with a MacBook Pro will have to run out and buy an Express34 to PCIe expansion chassis, stick in a UAD-1e and let us know if it really works.

I think many UA fans were expecting a card with more power, an external box (be it FireWire or Ethernet), or native versions. One would hope something like that is in further development.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings
Still, UA should have come up with a Firewire solution by now...

I agree! I'm thinking about dumping my UAD cards. I really like the plugs but the cards are lame. If UAD had a firewire or ethernet solution it would make life much easer. The crossgrade plan sucks. Most folks around here bash Digi but I actually think their upgrade/crossgrade plans are a lot better. Between PTHD and UAD it's just too many PCI cards and if I gotta choose I'm going with Digi. I need to spend some time with the URS stuff and see if it will be a good replacement for the UAD. If so I'm selling the UAD's.

Old 20th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

FIRIWIRE

:

I talked with the guys from UAD1 once about that - that was a long time ago already , like a year or so..

They said that for the power that thier plugz take they need more BANDWITH -- Look, I am not such a geek - but this is wht I understood from it, the BANDWITH of Firewire is not big enough for UAD1's plugz...

Ergo : TC-Powercore's plugs are less big ...? Erg, Sony OXford suddenly is a 'small' low bandwith plug .. ???

It's an obscure story what da ya think?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Disappointed here too.

And the "crossgrade" offer to existing PCI UAD-1 customers ($500 - $100 = $400 for the card) is a bit disappointing considering it is essentially the same card. I wonder if this applies to more than one card?
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've got multiple UAD cards, and I'm still waiting for UAD-1n...NATIVE.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
FIRIWIRE

:

I talked with the guys from UAD1 once about that - that was a long time ago already , like a year or so..

They said that for the power that thier plugz take they need more BANDWITH -- Look, I am not such a geek - but this is wht I understood from it, the BANDWITH of Firewire is not big enough for UAD1's plugz...

Ergo : TC-Powercore's plugs are less big ...? Erg, Sony OXford suddenly is a 'small' low bandwith plug .. ???

It's an obscure story what da ya think?
I spoke to UA about the same topic as well. I was told the same thing. As he was saying it I was thinking bullsh!t. Pissing on my head and telling me it's rain!dfegad The plugs are great but the cards are starting to feel like a ball and chain. I don't mind dongles but at least put them in a form thats not so much of a burden, can anyone say i-lok. If not firewire how about ethernet or better yet natave/i-lok?

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
Old 20th May 2006
Jtt
Gear Addict

Arrow

Seems to me that UA is using plug-ins to sell cards, not the other way around. Actually very similar to Digi's model. The fewer instances that a plug can run per card the better it works out for them Probably a huge margin from a stockpile of outdated graphics chips.

I'm not going to ditch what I've got, but unless the efficiency improves, I'll look at other solutions in the future and not buy any of their new plugs.

And... if firewire's bandwith is too restrictive, ethernet's is not.

-Jtt
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't think UA's plugs could ever run native; at least, not without an emulator of the Mpact2 chip, which despite its age is pretty advanced, and I'm not even sure that emulating full vector processing on a scalar CPU is possible at all. A native version would have to be completely re-written, and major compromises would certainly have to be made.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, right, they'd have to be re-programmed. But processors these days have more than enough power to run them as they are now on the card. The code would have to be re-written, and yes, due to the nature of the physical components, "compromises" would have to be made, but they wouldn't necessarily have to be for the worst, they could actually make the code better and more accurate as far as emulation goes! But, there's no money in it for them, so we will probably never see native versions of these great plugins. Sucks for us.

Wouldn't it be wild if a company came out with a PCI card that had tubes on it?
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wouldn't it be wild if a company came out with a PCI card that had tubes on it?

You mean like this? http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2006/april/index5.html

(don't forget to read the fine print!)
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

"WARNING! If you do not see exposed tubes on your UAD-1, DO NOT perform the procedure! You have the FET based model."

Nice.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
They said that for the power that thier plugz take they need more BANDWITH -- Look, I am not such a geek - but this is wht I understood from it, the BANDWITH of Firewire is not big enough for UAD1's plugz... (clip) It's an obscure story what da ya think?
Okay, I take back the comment about Firewire. I don't want UA sacraficing quality for processor efficiency. And come to think of it.... who the hell needs to use these plugs when tracking out in the field anyway?

I guess I'd be happy if they'd fix the PCI-X bandwidth blues - then I might think about picking up another card.

------------

Quote:
I don't mind dongles but at least put them in a form thats not so much of a burden, can anyone say i-lok.
No friggin' way! If we're gonna have a dongle, at least make it a DSP dongle (card or Firewire, whatever) not some cheap piece of plastic easily lost or damaged. (ie: lose your Cubase dongle = lose your software)
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

PCI is not a big problem to me.. but they really have to make those cards more powerfull !!!! what's the interest in a dsp if it cannot run more than 4 plugs ? tutt
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

we waited 10 years for this frikin thing????? dfegad
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Im pretty disappointed by this new card aswell.

UA just doesn't seem to want to put any money or research&development into new hardware for their plugins. It a shame..... the plugs are good.

Im hoping that URSs new plugin is an opto compressor like the La2a.
byebye UA. I just don't like the way things seem to be heading with them.

Also just need to find a nice plate revern like the plate140 EMT emulation.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Also just need to find a nice plate revern like the plate140 EMT emulation.[/QUOTE]

You might want to check out CRS from IKmultimedia , it's been getting great reviews , maybe dowload a demo and see if you like it .

http://www.classikstudioreverb.com/Main.html?prod-CSR

Future music .....

CSR's GUI and architecture is efficient, and strikes the right balance between programmability and ease of use. Even cooler is the Classik's Modulation and Macro capabilities. The Modulation feature lets you alter parameters like Color, Reverb Time, Pre-Delay, and more using the reverbs' LFOs, as well as envelopes. It's easy to set up and can open doors to some very interesting effects."

"The Room Reverb can sound big and bright in a digital 'verb sense, or impressively realistic. My favorite setting was "Real Ambience," which did a nice job of replicating the sound of a mic in a live room. The decays are very smooth, without the grainy artifacts that plague many reverb plug-ins."

"Plates are always a challenge for digital reverbs to emulate, but the CSR captures the plate's fluttery metallic flavor, and sounds great on guitars, vocals, and percussion."

"The CSR calls itself "Classik" but to compare it to old digital hardware or even analog physical reverbs of the past misses the point. Sure, it creates convincing plates, halls and rooms, and has a tone that oozes vintage vibe. But it sounds way cleaner and warmer than old-school digital reverbs, is more flexible than, say, a real live plate, and—thanks to its Macro and Mod capabilities—gives you the power to shape reverb in real time and turn what's often a static "sweetening" effect into a dynamic musical tool."

"Warm, flavorful sound and a user-friendly interface, combined with powerful Modulation and Macro tools make the CSR suite a creative producer's playground. If you're bored with "set-and-forget" reverbs and disdain factory presets, CSR is for your ticket to paradise."

http://www.classikstudioreverb.com/Main.html?prod-CSR

Hope this helps........

I too am wondering about the plugin count on UAD cards , URS seem so damn efficient and sounds great , this has made me question my options , even though i was waiting for the PCIe version of this card , strange they would not take advantage of the extra bandwidth , URS can get like 300 instances of there eq's on a 1.8ghz Mac(See Tony Belmonts thread ), and with UAD we are talking figures like 15 or 12 etc .
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Wouldn´t this be nice .......

I think that Universal Audio should allow users, with 2 cards and higher, to be able to extend capacity by being able to offload, say, 5 plugins for every card onto the cpu to work as native plugs.....Now, with the difficulty of finding motherboards with 4 or 5 pci slots, it makes it harder for people who want to work at 24/96 with high track counts. The increasing power of pc´s will make these damn cards unnecessary in the near future...maybe already today !
As for this "upgrade", I think that since powercore moved up to a mk2 version with twice the power of the original, it´s pretty much of a letdown the uad1-e. Could it be true that the code for the plugs would have to be rewritten if another processor were used ? Shiiiet....I was hopeing on something with about 4 times the power of the original.... maybe ua is just going to give in and go native and use dongles or something.... I just don´t get it... I see where Pro tools has these incredibley powerfull dsp cards that can run plugs in real time while recording... Can´t´somebody make some kick ass dsp cards for non pro tools users that would be able to work like the pro tools hd systems ? UA should segment their market and make a super duper dsp card for people that want advanced usage and high track counts at high sample rates !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search