The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic pro 9 cpu spikes driving me insane
Old 25th March 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
Logic pro 9 cpu spikes driving me insane

I know other people have had similar problems, but whats the latest on CPU-spikes in logic pro 9?
I'm running OS 10.6.8 and latest logic: 9.1.6 (32 bit)

I get system too slow messages, seemingly at random. I've run repair disc permissions, increased buffers etc. Tried with and without CPU-hungry plugins.

Often I get error messages without the CPU-display even spiking, just running at like 30%, and boom.

I've also noticed that sometimes only one of the cores (I have a macbook pro 2 duo core, 2.53GH) seem to be pulling the weight. Other times they are in perfect balance - and it doesn't seem to be happening consistently at the same song positions.

This is beginning to remind of windows (something wrong, solution impossible to find)
Old 25th March 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 

It's usually a disk to slow error, mostly happens if recording to the system drive.
Old 25th March 2012
  #3
Gear Addict
 
MrChang's Avatar
 

Hi, axs1.

Is it possible for you to try 64-bit mode? Not sure if all of your plugins are 64-bit compatible, but after I switched over I haven't had any system too slow issues.

And, in general, the two tid-bits of info that made Logic really work for me was:


1) I use a ton of Vis. I always make sure to deselect the track/take it out of record-enable after I record midi. I, actually, have a few dummy external midi tracks in the arrange window that I will park on. Unlike a program like Pro Tools where audio/processing is always real time, Logic will cache processing. Huge difference.

2) Distributing some plugins over to busses/aux tracks rather than always as inserts on the track. Certainly has helped spread processing over numerous cores.


Apologies if this is old news to you and you still have issues beyond knowing this.

Best,

John
Old 25th March 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
Thanks for the replies. I have been recording onto internal disc, but this has never created any problem before. And I haven't been running 70 plugin-maxed tracks, more like 20 with a few plugs. I try to not use too many insert effects - beyond eq and compressors - anything reverb/delay is always through aux. I also try to group tracks that fit together to same compressor etc.

The thing that bothers me is that there has been a change over time - like it's getting worse and worse, seemingly no matter if I have a lot going on in the project or not. Reminds me of how Windows would get more and more plugged up over time - which was one of the main reasons for me switching over to mac.

Think maybe I'll get an external drive and see if that helps. It's just such a pain to always have to drag the drive around. Any drive suggestions? I already use my firewire port for apogee, so USB would be a lot easier - does this make any difference anymore?

Cheers, and again, thanks for the input.
Old 25th March 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
how's disk space?
perhaps the drive is maxing out...
Old 26th March 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
how's disk space?
perhaps the drive is maxing out...
250 GB and I have 89 GB left, after transferring quite a few files a few weeks ago. I don't think that's the problem, but maybe my drive is getting worn out. Is that even possible?
Old 26th March 2012
  #7
Here for the gear
 

The one core spike problem is a very common issue. One that has been bugging me a lot...
It's been around since at least Logic 8. What you can do to ease the load (except getting a very expensive powerful computer), is to play while having an audio track selected. If, for instance, you have an Omnisphere or some heavy Kontakt instrument selected and you play them back or record them, they will tax one single core. If I am not mistaken, any instrument which is "input monitored" or record enabled (same thing for this purpose?) will tax one core. It's a silly, but consequential, bottle neck. Playing while audio is selected spreads the load between cores. Raising the buffer is a simple solution, but not always desirable. You can also disable any heavy effects that come from within the VI, like convolution reverb, delays.
There isn't much more to do until the Logic folks get a grip and fix this ridiculous setback.
Old 26th March 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke p View Post
The one core spike problem is a very common issue. One that has been bugging me a lot...
It's been around since at least Logic 8. What you can do to ease the load (except getting a very expensive powerful computer), is to play while having an audio track selected. If, for instance, you have an Omnisphere or some heavy Kontakt instrument selected and you play them back or record them, they will tax one single core. If I am not mistaken, any instrument which is "input monitored" or record enabled (same thing for this purpose?) will tax one core. It's a silly, but consequential, bottle neck. Playing while audio is selected spreads the load between cores. Raising the buffer is a simple solution, but not always desirable. You can also disable any heavy effects that come from within the VI, like convolution reverb, delays.
There isn't much more to do until the Logic folks get a grip and fix this ridiculous setback.
You know what, this makes sense, and is probably at least a major part of the problem. It seems like the situation is at its worst when I'm doing something in Superior drummer. If I just play a drum beat by itself with nothing playing in logic it seems only the one core is engaged. But it shouldn't be spiking into the red all by itself, even on one core, though - which makes me think something else is slightly awry too.

This kind of stuff is so annoying, and is why, still after all these years of DAW-advancement, external midi hooked up to external instruments seems to be the only thing you can trust. I mean, it doesn't make any bit of difference if VIs are as good (or just different, as they say) as hardware, if you still have to make music on a plug and pray basis. Mind blowing.

Kind of hard to make music when you're a nervous wreck because everything can go bezerk at any time. If Logic doesn't act soon, and release Logic 10 with some major improvements - in terms of stability, I'm seriously starting to wonder if I may switch DAWs and even platforms (which would be a shame, because I love Macs)
Old 26th March 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 

If i were you, I'd buy an external HD. If your interface is FW, buy a USB drive, if it's USB, buy a FW800 drive(7200rpm). If you only have 89Gb free after having transfer loads of files, your internal HD is surely not in its best shape.

I now have a Quad core MBP, but i did a production last year with the exact same MBP as yours with over 50 tracks w/ loads of plug-ins(VIs and FX) and never had a problem. Buffer at 128 and Process buffer at Medium. And always restart the computer when doing big track count projects. It will wipe the used RAM, so your MBP will be at its peak performance.

KA
Old 26th March 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
If i were you, I'd buy an external HD. If your interface is FW, buy a USB drive, if it's USB, buy a FW800 drive(7200rpm). If you only have 89Gb free after having transfer loads of files, your internal HD is surely not in its best shape.

I now have a Quad core MBP, but i did a production last year with the exact same MBP as yours with over 50 tracks w/ loads of plug-ins(VIs and FX) and never had a problem. Buffer at 128 and Process buffer at Medium. And always restart the computer when doing big track count projects. It will wipe the used RAM, so your MBP will be at its peak performance.

KA
Hey thanks for the advice. Did you use an external drive for last years production?
Old 26th March 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Yep, Fw800 LaCie drive since my interface is USB2.0. So, your recorded tracks are on a diiferent buss as the audio playback. If you maintain it well, you'd be surprised how this MBP performs. I changed it because i wanted to stay on 10.6.8 and get the best laptop before 10.7 becomes the norm on new Apple computers. If it wasn't for that, i would have kept it.

KA
Old 26th March 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
Yep, Fw800 LaCie drive since my interface is USB2.0. So, your recorded tracks are on a diiferent buss as the audio playback. If you maintain it well, you'd be surprised how this MBP performs. I changed it because i wanted to stay on 10.6.8 and get the best laptop before 10.7 becomes the norm on new Apple computers. If it wasn't for that, i would have kept it.

KA
Again, thanks.
I have a fw interface, so I guess I'll get a USB drive of the best quality I can find. I've been ever so slightly thinking about getting a new MBP lately - but what you say makes sense in that regard also. Guess I'll go the other route: pray my MPB can handle the load until 10.7 / logic / 3rd party VIs/plug-ins are all working properly together.
Cheers!
axs
Old 26th March 2012
  #13
Gear Nut
 

I have a 2010 8 core Mac Pro with 24 gig of ram running in 64bit mode with native 64bit plugins only, running all wav and instruments on separate drives.

I get this problem all the time regardless of load. One of the many reasons I now use Cubase and thank god for that.


After Final Cut X plus apples venture into the handheld market, I just have this feeling that Logic is going to die. Most unstable DAW I have ever used and WAY too many WTF moments for me to rely on for work.
Old 27th March 2012
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
lovespirals's Avatar
 

did you try adjusting your buffer settings? i raised mine to 256 and the cpu spike issue is now a thing of the past for me.
Old 27th March 2012
  #15
Gear Addict
 
John Reid's Avatar
 

Some light reading:

Available HD space is more important than many people realize...

Here's a link to a design oriented mac tweaker site, but the info on HDs applies for any intensive-use work where disk access speed is important.

Quote form this page
"As you fill a drive with your data, you generally are working with the newest content the most, yet that new data will have the lowest performance on the drive, since you are adding it last."

So definitely look into getting an external drive; I think some of your issues are stemming from the fact that you don't have enough available HD space for your laptop to do everything it's being asked, which might be forcing Logic to hand off duties to your CPU.
Old 27th March 2012
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

quite embarrassing to say,im having these spikes with a MAC PRO!

an 2011 quad 2.8 with 12gb of ram 3xhds for system,project and samples
and still.
even with a simple project with only kontakt and addictive drums loaded.
everytime i use addictive drums i get these spikes.
doesn't happen when using anything else.
i have a project with 5 instances of 16 ch of kontakt playing at the same time
and it flys, i added a track with addictive drums and all hell breaks loose .

i might have missed something ?
could this be cause addictive drums where install`d on the system drive ?

this is pretty ridicules.
i had an aging single core AMD before the mac pro and had projects (in cubase)
fully loaded including addictive drums in them and it ran well...

it makes me want to go back to cubase...
shame, i Love logic...

Using 9.1.3 on 10.7.6
Old 27th March 2012
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
lore's Avatar
the problem is logic handling a lot of stuff just on the last core :

live input
reverbs and efx on auxes (yes you're doing right but logic wants them on insert ...)
solo button behavior (fast or slow response )

if you've separate outs on your soundcard try to route 1 of the heavy instruments to a spare out

reduce polyphony of instruments when you can

always move to an audio track when you hit play
Old 27th March 2012
  #18
Gear Addict
 
John Reid's Avatar
 

Yep, it could be where you installed the samples data for the drums.

Do NOT install the samples from any sample-heavy VI on your system disk; it'll kill performance...

For example, I have my Spectrasonics and BFD2 samples on a spereate HD.
Old 27th March 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reid View Post
Yep, it could be where you installed the samples data for the drums.

Do NOT install the samples from any sample-heavy VI on your system disk; it'll kill performance...

For example, I have my Spectrasonics and BFD2 samples on a spereate HD.
That makes sense. But I just tried to freeze any questionable tracks: Superior drummer and Kontakt. And it makes no difference. Wouldn't freezing the track make the plugins non-functioning and thus not effecting performance?
Old 27th March 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
Again, thanks.
I have a fw interface, so I guess I'll get a USB drive of the best quality I can find. I've been ever so slightly thinking about getting a new MBP lately - but what you say makes sense in that regard also. Guess I'll go the other route: pray my MPB can handle the load until 10.7 / logic / 3rd party VIs/plug-ins are all working properly together.
Cheers!
axs
You should be able to daisy-chain firewire devices with no problems.

Most DAWs suggest a dedicated Hard drive for projects.

OSX will always use part of your system drive for virtual memory, and you're attempting record and playback tracks from the same drive, somethings got to give.

The more you record the more fragmented the drive becomes, the hard drive will write to the first available space.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump