UA Apollo First Look (user review) - Gearslutz.com
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

UA Apollo First Look (user review)

My Apollo should arrive at my door at 10 AM this morning, 3/24/12. I'll post first impression and review after I play with it for awhile. Maybe some A/B's and so on. Hope others do the same. Cheers.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear maniac

Great, I ordered mine at Frontendaudio, but I have not shipping info yet.:(
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Maniac

great! please post some clips as well.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear
Just like Christmas morning! Oh the simple joys.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Here are 3 clips recorded through a Duet 2. 1 is Duet pre, 2 is Martech MSS 10 pre, 3 is the same Martech file using UAD plugs. I tried to match the same output levels, but granted this is a perceived demonstration rather than scientific. Off to record through the Apollo. Three more later with the same lame noodling.
Attached Files
Acoustic Duet 2.mp3 (3.22 MB, 20139 views)
Acoustic_ Martech_ Duet 2.mp3 (3.22 MB, 18305 views)
Acoustic_ Martech_ Duet 2 UAD FX.mp3 (3.22 MB, 19280 views)
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Here you go. Be sure and reference the Martech UAD file above for an A/B. I won't make any comments about my thoughts until you guys hear for yourself. The mic is a TLM 49/Mogami 3 inches at the 12th fret on all clips.
Attached Files
Acoustic_ Apollo pre_ UAD FX.mp3 (4.05 MB, 21224 views)
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Head

The 3rd one is much louder
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, the Apollo sounds stunning.

Although the 2 UAD files are similar, the Apollo is warmer, clearer and more upfront.

I realize this is not scientific. I hear more fret/string noise in the first recordings. The Apollo is just beautiful. Was that the Neve plug in?
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Head to head, the Martech sounds better.

That was an attempt at humour.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear
I'm surprised how much I like the Duet.

In the Martech-Apollo comparison with UAD plugs, I think the Martech sounds prettier.

Would love to hear you singing through those same pres Cowboy!
Old 24th March 2012
Apollo is the clear winner here... pun intended.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytro_ua View Post
The 3rd one is much louder
Not that louder, just 10 or 20 extra dbs
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Here you go. Be sure and reference the Martech UAD file above for an A/B. I won't make any comments about my thoughts until you guys hear for yourself. The mic is a TLM 49/Mogami 3 inches at the 12th fret on all clips.
The Apollo definitely has more low level detail than the Duet clips.

You don't happen to have the Studer plugin do you? It'd be great to hear something recorded through the Apollo with the Studer plugin inserted in the chain. By the way, what UAD plugins did you use on the two clips where you said you were using the UAD's?

But hey, I'm only asking about the Studer clips. I totally understand if you're too busy playing with your new toy.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

Same here, i would appreciate a studer in action...
Thanx for the audio clips anyway!
I can't wait for the summer to get one...

What's your first impression??
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Right now it seems like we are comparing a very high end external pre amp(Martech) plus Apogee conversion UAD Processing VS. Apollo Mic Pres and Conversion plus UAD Proc.

It would seem we should keep it equal and use built in pres in both cases and the same processing after as far as the Plug used. That would give us not lucky enough to be in your position yet a fighting chance at making an opinion! thanks for whatever you have time to do!
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Right now it seems like we are comparing a very high end external pre amp(Martech) plus Apogee conversion UAD Processing VS. Apollo Mic Pres and Conversion plus UAD Proc.

It would seem we should keep it equal and use built in pres in both cases and the same processing after as far as the Plug used. That would give us not lucky enough to be in your position yet a fighting chance at making an opinion! thanks for whatever you have time to do!
No1 is duet pres...

Nice work thanx a lot cowboy
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
No1 is duet pres...

Nice work thanx a lot cowboy

Number one is also not processed!
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

First, I have to say that the convertors on this thing is on par with my Mytec and that was the most important thing for me. I talked in length to my Sweetwater rep about this because they had an all day session a few weeks back with UA and he got to tinker with one for a good bit. He assured me I wouldn't be disappointed and he was right. When I first started playing, monitoring through my headphones, I could hear a real difference in the sound field, almost unbelievably so. One of those smile and you don't know your smiling kind of things. Playback through my monitors was even more revealing in the difference of detail. It's just in a different league than the Duet although I really believe the Duet is still a great box, so much I use it as a catch convertor for my 2 buss pitch. But I can't wait to try some other pres through it. I'll post some more tests when I can. Got a little boy who wants to play ball so I'll get back to it later. Hope these help but it will only give you an idea. I'm a believer that you have to get your hands on something to really see how it works for you. The plugs I used was the ones that come stock so you guys could hear what you'll get, Pultec, 1176, la2a, in that order. Cheers
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

I agree. A better comparison would be.

Duet to Apollo clean no plug ins. This to see what preamps and converters are doing.

Duet with UAD against Apollo with the same plugins. This to see what pre versus post use of plugins are doing.

Martech on the front of both no plugins. This to see the potential for using upscale equipment with the Apollo and the relative comparison.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I agree. A better comparison would be.

Duet to Apollo clean no plug ins. This to see what preamps and converters are doing.

Duet with UAD against Apollo with the same plugins. This to see what pre versus post use of plugins are doing.

Martech on the front of both no plugins. This to see the potential for using upscale equipment with the Apollo and the relative comparison.
ALl that being said thank you for what you have done already. Have a great day with your family!

Jazztone
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
First, I have to say that the convertors on this thing is on par with my Mytec and that was the most important thing for me. I talked in length to my Sweetwater rep about this because they had an all day session a few weeks back with UA and he got to tinker with one for a good bit. He assured me I wouldn't be disappointed and he was right. When I first started playing, monitoring through my headphones, I could hear a real difference in the sound field, almost unbelievably so. One of those smile and you don't know your smiling kind of things. Playback through my monitors was even more revealing in the difference of detail. It's just in a different league than the Duet although I really believe the Duet is still a great box, so much I use it as a catch convertor for my 2 buss pitch. But I can't wait to try some other pres through it. I'll post some more tests when I can. Got a little boy who wants to play ball so I'll get back to it later. Hope these help but it will only give you an idea. I'm a believer that you have to get your hands on something to really see how it works for you. The plugs I used was the ones that come stock so you guys could hear what you'll get, Pultec, 1176, la2a, in that order. Cheers
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the clips.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear nut

My FedEx tracking is showing monday... So by tuesday or wednesday I'll be posting some clips... Have fun with your new "power tool" cowboycoalminer...
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Another. This one I recorded with 2 mics mono, vocal and acoustic simultaneously. All effects were printed didn't think I'd ever say that! Ha. But it's basically what the thing would sound like live, so I did it. Not going to make a habit of it though. He. Chain is 1176, Pultec, Real Verb Pro on vox and Real Verb pro on acoustic, one shot take and full of mistakes(didn't have much time) but you'll get the idea. This thing is an excellent tool. By the way, this song was written by a friend of mine, Chris Stapleton so if you like it, please buy it instead of using this demo MP3. It's on a Tim McGraw record and is easy to find. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
My FedEx tracking is showing monday... So by tuesday or wednesday I'll be posting some clips... Have fun with your new "power tool" cowboycoalminer...
It really is something. The more I tinker with it, the more I like it. You'll love it, Brother!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

A good song trumps all hardware. Nice performance. The mixer in me would tweak it however, put some edge on the tag line and take out some of the low. Doh!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'M

SO

JEALOUS!!!!!

but i just upgraded to PT10 ..next is the apollo!
Old 25th March 2012
Gear maniac

thanks mate and congratz

lookin forward to see more
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Another. This one I recorded with 2 mics mono, vocal and acoustic simultaneously. All effects were printed didn't think I'd ever say that! Ha. But it's basically what the thing would sound like live, so I did it. Not going to make a habit of it though. He. Chain is 1176, Pultec, Real Verb Pro on vox and Real Verb pro on acoustic, one shot take and full of mistakes(didn't have much time) but you'll get the idea. This thing is an excellent tool. By the way, this song was written by a friend of mine, Chris Stapleton so if you like it, please buy it instead of using this demo MP3. It's on a Tim McGraw record and is easy to find. Thanks.

Curious if this is the apollo preamps? and what sample rate it was tracked at?

thanks

Wiz
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

mmm,my head hake is growing,have to decide between apollo and lynx aurora.
i have outboard gear so i guess i'll go with the lynx
any suggestion will be appreciate
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search