The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 23rd May 2017
  #15901
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Especially since there's no easy/cheap way to upgrade UAD DSP other than buying another whole UA hardware unit.
Old 24th May 2017 | Show parent
  #15902
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Especially since there's no easy/cheap way to upgrade UAD DSP other than buying another whole UA hardware unit.
I suppose cheap is a relative term, but you can pick up a Satellite Quad (TB-2) for roughly $500USD on eBay depending on the week. Seeing that you can only use one core (potentially more via AUX Send) in the Console App, the combination of the Satellite + Apollo Twin (regardless of the number of cores) is an attractive option.

Since you are generally tracking when using the Console, I'd imagine printing to audio is commonplace regardless.

You can travel with either unit, so they're not locked down with one another, i.e. you do not need both in many cases.
Old 24th May 2017 | Show parent
  #15903
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
I have a new Apollo 8p arriving tomorrow which will be the centerpiece of my new setup. Eight pre's is awesome, but I prefer at least 12-16 for tracking a live band. From what I can tell I have some basic options

1. 8 channel AD w/external pre's (very expensive option)
2. 8 channel pre w/built conversion (stuck with 8 of the same pre)
3. UA 4-710. Allow me to fill up my lunch box which gives me more flavors and conversion necessary to get my signal into the apollo.


I guess I am a little skeptical of the 4-710. It seems like its too good to be true with it's many features. I am also skeptical of things like tone blending. I don't want something that has lots of features but the overall quality of those features being of a mediocre level. Am I overthinking this? The idea of going all UA does appeal to me in terms of support.
Old 24th May 2017
  #15904
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I would tend toward option #1 , hehe. Even a little at a time.
Old 24th May 2017 | Show parent
  #15905
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
2. 8 channel pre w/built conversion (stuck with 8 of the same pre)
The Focusrite Clarett OctoPre has been popular.

Quote:
I guess I am a little skeptical of the 4-710. It seems like its too good to be true with it's many features. I am also skeptical of things like tone blending. I don't want something that has lots of features but the overall quality of those features being of a mediocre level. Am I overthinking this? The idea of going all UA does appeal to me in terms of support.
It's a good pre for the money but it doesn't live up to their marketing hype. The tube side is small sounding compared to the 610 and the "1176-style compression" doesn't sound like an 1176. Basically, you're getting what you're paying for, no more and no less.
Old 21st July 2017 | Show parent
  #15906
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Hey everyone, I made a short video demonstrating using the B-15n with guitar. It's my favorite UAD guitar amp emulation.

Old 21st July 2017
  #15907
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Those plugin GUI's are killer. Pretty decent guitar sound, also.
Old 1st August 2017
  #15908
Gear Maniac
As a symphony owner, I must say that I miss the apollo on drums. The symphony is great, but I feel like the drum sound is a bit too round sounding. With the kick, ( inside or out )it knocks pretty hard. Of course everything has to be taken in relation to the music. One of those grass is always greener deals.
Old 1st August 2017 | Show parent
  #15909
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
As a symphony owner, I must say that I miss the apollo on drums. The symphony is great, but I feel like the drum sound is a bit too round sounding. With the kick, ( inside or out )it knocks pretty hard. Of course everything has to be taken in relation to the music. One of those grass is always greener deals.
That's funny. Drums are my main usage for the Apollo. --They do sound really good!
Old 1st August 2017 | Show parent
  #15910
Gear Maniac
Yeah it's amazing how different the two converters sound. Especially on percussive sources. I use an re20 and it's a pretty percussive mic. On the apollo it was a soft punch that ( in my opinion ) sounds soft. No matter how aggressive I got with compression or adding eq, it would remain human like. The symphony ( mk 1 ) has this jolt in the lower midrange that is sometimes ridiculous on kick drum. I find myself playing the mic all the way towards the batter to chill out the air blast. It's rather intense.

On everything else ( vocals, guitar, bass ) it sounds amazingly life like and full. And i'm sure over a lot of tracks, it will be great as well. I'm at a crossroads personally. I don't miss anything about the ua plugins. But I miss the ease of the software and the sound sometimes. I had the silver box & I like the way the black box sounds.

If the apollo twin had optical out, I could satisfy my need for the kick drum with two channels of ua conversion. lol


But yeah, the symphony gets expensive. Personally, I noticed a huge difference in clarity with the apollo when I borrowed my friends MK3 clock. Because of it, I almost didn't buy the symphony. I'm rambling now so I'll stop. lol
Old 1st August 2017 | Show parent
  #15911
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
If the apollo twin had optical out, I could satisfy my need for the kick drum with two channels of ua conversion. lol
lol


Yes, that would be great for me as well..
Couple of times I though about use of Twin for various tasks with other DAW systems simply for its DSP plugins during tracking or monitoring and possibly also I/Os.. effect processor for good sounding reverbs, compressors, amp-sims and nowadays also real-time Autotune (I know ), Sphere microphone sim etc.
All with fixed latency and no stress with low buffer for main DAW.
It's pity, there's no digital output for interfacing to other interfaces or converters I have (I'm pretty happy with RME, Orion, SSL..), otherwise I might be very nice (also due to its handy smaller form factor).

Maybe sometimes I'll look for used larger silverfaced Apollo, just for that mis-use.. FW models are sometimes abandoned and could be for very good money.

Michal
Old 2nd August 2017
  #15912
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

I finally get to add to this massive thread. I sold my apogee symphony and bought a MKii solo to couple with the octo i had. I have to say its amazing, sound wise, stability and the features it has. with the unison plugs i record thru them now and have sold my pendulum quartet, and other channel strips. i love the AD and DA and my mixes are just as good as they were. add in all the other goodies like the HiZ and bass and guitar plugs, and my front end is as strong and also much stronger than before.

I don't mix with a ton of UAD plugs but the 9 cores I have cover everything I need. i love this little box
Old 11th August 2017
  #15913
MJB
Lives for gear
 
MJB's Avatar
Great video Eric! It's bee a long time since I checked in here. I have the IkMultimedia Ampeg plug-in, with a bunch of Ampeg amps, including the B15. I happen to have the same bass amp as one of the plugs, and I swear, they sound the same, except for the hum of the amp. So I don't feel I need the UAD version too.

I typically don't find plug-ins sound the same as what they're modeling, so this was a surprise to me. I never would have thought to use it for guitar though, and the sound you got was pretty good.

I have the Apollo 8 now with the Quad satellite. I'm doing a shootout with the Unison 1073 plug-in and the Stam Audio SA73, which is a true to the original clone of the Neve. The UAD plug sounds quite good until you compare. There's a huge difference in the low end, and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying the plug sounds like the preamp. It just sounds good its own way, but doesn't come close to the Stam sound.

I can see how the Unison 1073 could be very useful if you were tracking a drum kit though.
Old 11th August 2017 | Show parent
  #15914
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

I have the Apollo 8 now with the Quad satellite. I'm doing a shootout with the Unison 1073 plug-in and the Stam Audio SA73, which is a true to the original clone of the Neve.
All the clone manufactures 'say' that.

IMO you're not gonna be true to the original unless you have a original marinair lo1166 output tranny in there. None of the cloned trannys seemed to have nailed it...yet.

It's very likely the 1073 UAD modeled had a lo1166 tranny in it.

So no clone will sound like the the 1073 UAD used.
Old 11th August 2017
  #15915
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Nah.... The UAD is good (I have it) but it's definitely 'no hardware Neve clone' in my estimation.
Old 11th August 2017 | Show parent
  #15916
MJB
Lives for gear
 
MJB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
All the clone manufactures 'say' that.

IMO you're not gonna be true to the original unless you have a original marinair lo1166 output tranny in there. None of the cloned trannys seemed to have nailed it...yet.

It's very likely the 1073 UAD modeled had a lo1166 tranny in it.

So no clone will sound like the the 1073 UAD used.
That may be true, but having the Stam SA73 and the Unison 73 available, the Stam is a whole other thing, way more harmonic and interesting. It has the solidity of a Neve low end, but the highs are sweet and shimmery without being attenuated. My friend has the Great River preamp, and it's a fantastic piece, but I prefer the Stam. I don't really care if it's an exact reproduction, I do know that Stam makes every effort to really get the sound right where some other manufacturers get the sound to be "in the style of" if you get what I mean.

I've only used a real Neve a few times in studios, so I'm relying on memory, but the Stam definitely reminds me of how I felt using the Neve.

I'm a UAD fan and longtime supporter, but as nice as the Unison tech is, and as good as UAD is at making high quality plug-ins, it ain't nowhere near the real deal IMO. I don't care how many videos get made "proving" otherwise, in my room, with my ears, they're quite different.

I like the UAD 1073, but would never use it if I have access to the Stam or the Great River. Where it could prove helpful is if I ever need to track more instruments, at least the UAD 1073 will be in the same sonic ballpark as the hardware version. If I'm ever on the road and need to track something, they could come in quite handy.
Old 12th August 2017 | Show parent
  #15917
Gear Maniac
 

BLA Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
Yeah it's amazing how different the two converters sound. Especially on percussive sources. I use an re20 and it's a pretty percussive mic. On the apollo it was a soft punch that ( in my opinion ) sounds soft. No matter how aggressive I got with compression or adding eq, it would remain human like. The symphony ( mk 1 ) has this jolt in the lower midrange that is sometimes ridiculous on kick drum. I find myself playing the mic all the way towards the batter to chill out the air blast. It's rather intense.

On everything else ( vocals, guitar, bass ) it sounds amazingly life like and full. And i'm sure over a lot of tracks, it will be great as well. I'm at a crossroads personally. I don't miss anything about the ua plugins. But I miss the ease of the software and the sound sometimes. I had the silver box & I like the way the black box sounds.

If the apollo twin had optical out, I could satisfy my need for the kick drum with two channels of ua conversion. lol


But yeah, the symphony gets expensive. Personally, I noticed a huge difference in clarity with the apollo when I borrowed my friends MK3 clock. Because of it, I almost didn't buy the symphony. I'm rambling now so I'll stop. lol
You probably know this, but the BLA Apollo Mod for the Twin adds an Optical Out. I don't use mine, but can say the upgrade was well worth it sonically for me. I sold some other very nice pieces (Antelope Zodiac DA, Benchmark DA) as the upgraded Apollo Twin was now of equal quality.

MJH
Old 13th August 2017 | Show parent
  #15918
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I typically don't find plug-ins sound the same as what they're modeling, so this was a surprise to me. I never would have thought to use it for guitar though, and the sound you got was pretty good.
Thanks! I've gotten good results on guitar with the SVT, as well. A little crunchier and more modern sounding. I actually prefer the B-15 and SVT over the Fender 55 now. The new Engl Savage is great, too, even clean and at low gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
So no clone will sound like the the 1073 UAD used.
Your logic is sound and I actually own 6 original LO1166 transformers so I know what you're talking about. Still, as good as the Unison technology is, I think the clearest indication that they're not truly accurate models is the fact that they all sound fairly similar to each other and even to the stock preamps. UA is getting better at it with each release and the SSL is the Unison preamp I usually recommend these days.
Old 19th September 2017
  #15919
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
UAD just received another strong vote of confidence from MusicTech, scoring 10/10:

https://twitter.com/MusicTechMag/sta...24450698399745

"Overall, the Apollo Twin Mk II is a fantastic audio interface we’d wholeheartedly recommend to all. From the quality of the audio conversion, to the thought applied to the Console application, the Apollo Twin Mk II is a high-class product delivering supreme audio quality at every stage of a production."
Old 20th September 2017
  #15920
Lives for gear
 

Everyone still happy with their apollo twin mk2?
Old 24th September 2017
  #15921
Gear Head
 

ok this may be a noob question, but i just got the apollo twin usb. im trying to direct montior through the apollo through the headphones only but it keeps coming thru the main monitor outs. how do i set this up or what not any one who helps i really appreciate your time
Old 4th October 2017 | Show parent
  #15922
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahttzmcisneros View Post
ok this may be a noob question, but i just got the apollo twin usb. im trying to direct montior through the apollo through the headphones only but it keeps coming thru the main monitor outs. how do i set this up or what not any one who helps i really appreciate your time
When you push the monitor button it toggles between 'monitor' and 'headphone' - Is your volume down when the light says headphone?
The big knob controls each volume independently.
Old 5th April 2018
  #15923
Been out of the loop for awhile....

Whats everyone using to connect their original thunderbolt 1 Apollos to the newer Macs usb-c ports?

I saw this:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter Reviews - Apple

$50 seems a bit much but looks like there are no other options???
Old 6th April 2018 | Show parent
  #15924
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

For what it’s worth (probably not much), I’ve been using the thunderbolt to FireWire adapter with my silver face Apollo for years and it’s been excellent.
Old 7th April 2018 | Show parent
  #15925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
For what it’s worth (probably not much), I’ve been using the thunderbolt to FireWire adapter with my silver face Apollo for years and it’s been excellent.
Do you think this would work for a Satellite Firewire Quad into an Apollo 8 Thunderbolt with this adapter?

I'm thinking of selling my Quad, because I'm getting a Thunderbolt one as part of the Apollo 8 sale. But I'd rather keep the DSP than sell it for $400 if it will work with an adaptor.

This seems to say it can be: Satellite Thunderbolt Mac Compatibility – Universal Audio Support Home

If so, thanks for your post! Why didn't I think of this, duh!
Old 9th January 2019
  #15926
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

JUST STOPPING BY TO SAY HI. Hope all is well with you guys. I'm still running my Apollo firewire every day haven't upgraded it. Ill probably sell it for a new blackface this year. Music has been steady but slow. Life's still good. Hey Cowboy, how are you! Nice thread and great community you created here. This has to be the KING post.
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
  #15927
Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
JUST STOPPING BY TO SAY HI. Hope all is well with you guys. I'm still running my Apollo firewire every day haven't upgraded it. Ill probably sell it for a new blackface this year. Music has been steady but slow. Life's still good. Hey Cowboy, how are you! Nice thread and great community you created here. This has to be the KING post.
I am still rocking my silver FW using AD16X and Rosetta200 for a total of 18 inputs- all the time!.. but one day I will grab a X16 to replace ^
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
  #15928
JGM
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
JUST STOPPING BY TO SAY HI. Hope all is well with you guys. I'm still running my Apollo firewire every day haven't upgraded it. Ill probably sell it for a new blackface this year. Music has been steady but slow. Life's still good. Hey Cowboy, how are you! Nice thread and great community you created here. This has to be the KING post.
Still rocking a pair of SFs in cascade mode here. Still on a Mac Cheesegrater and waiting to see what Apple’s Modular replacement for the Trash Can will be. No builtin PCIe connectivity, and it will still be a no go for me though.
Old 10th January 2019
  #15929
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
JUST STOPPING BY TO SAY HI. Hope all is well with you guys. I'm still running my Apollo firewire every day haven't upgraded it. Ill probably sell it for a new blackface this year. Music has been steady but slow. Life's still good. Hey Cowboy, how are you! Nice thread and great community you created here. This has to be the KING post.
What's up guys! Long time no chat. Everything is going well for us. Sold my Symphony and Burl units and am strictly Apollo now. Hope all is well with the gang!
Old 11th January 2019 | Show parent
  #15930
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Hey!

One of the all time great threads. Met some people I now genuinely consider friends here.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 192 views: 56805
Avatar for Doc Mixwell
Doc Mixwell 7th June 2018
replies: 55 views: 20586
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 1296 views: 159322
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
replies: 52 views: 4105
Avatar for dougb415
dougb415 18th October 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump