The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Maniac
sounds gaaaaahhhhhhreeaaaatttt by the way!!!!
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
Hey euphoria89,

I have vcc on the way and am debating 1 eq for now like you i like the 1061 but noted you and comboy both commenting on how impressed you are with massive passive for mastering. I know how dsp intensive it is.

I will inserting vcc as first plug and am using the euphonix channel strip which as 4 band eq with adjustable q etc.

By the time you get to mastering how much are still aware of the sound of the 1061 ?

I am thinking of forgoing it for now and will get either the studer or ampex and likely the MP.

Thx !

Kcat
For me, the mix balance has to be 95% of the way there before i can start to use the Manley EQ in the mastering stage. This of course involves EQ at mixing, but usually, nothing drastic. Most tonal changes will come from different microphones or sound sources, and will go with whatever sits best in the song.

I like all of the UAD Neve EQ's for this, because they do sound fairly obvious when you have affected something. I like the simplicity of having fixed bands to work with as it forces you to use your ears to decide what sounds best. With other digital EQ's, the freedom to pinpoint 20,000 different frequencies leaves you with too many options and just isn't necessary for the tonal shaping that these EQ's are known for. For corrective problems, such as resonances etc, then great, but i do very little of that.

I also like the Harrison EQ, the filters are so much nicer to use when they are completely variable, as you can really filter out as much as is needed until you start to hear it 'thin out'. The design of the Q filters is quite interesting as well, although it takes some getting used to at first. Not as aggressive or obvious as the Neve, so if you had to use it for Mastering, i would say you'd be better of with the Harrison as it is more subtle to my ears.

The Manley P/A is really nice for the Master Fader. As i never manage to nail the balance between sub/bass/low-mid/high-mid/high, this thing can just fix that balance right of the bat. The EQ is so subtle but very sweet and musical, always adds something to the track, even when cutting. The high and low pass filters are great for those final decisions regarding both ends of the spectrum. It's just a shame its so expensive, and DSP hungry. This would be awesome for mixing duties as well, such as fattening up a snare drum, or shaping the tom sounds. Might have to look at using a mono version and printing the effecting during tracking!

In regards to your track. I like it overall, but i'm not sure about the snare sound. Sounds too powerful for the context of the track. Not sure if its the sample or the larger room ambience, but for me it doesn't sit quite right. Something with a bit more warmth and upfrontness might do it? Try is also fairly dynamic. Tried the 33609 on the 2-buss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
@euphoria

That track is a perfect mix. If you like it, I wouldn't change a thing. I might make one small suggestion before you send it for duplication. I might try manually de-essing just a few spots on the vocal, that is to say, I wouldn't change anything on your chain but find the problem s spots in the edit window and cut both sides, then use clip gain to bring them down 1 or 2 db, whatever sounds natural. Great production!
Thanks for your comments once again. Yeah, good point. I'm not a huge users of de-essers, mainly due to my lack of ability to make them sound natural! Once i've re-tracked a better vocal performance, i will try the method you suggested. Not tried it that way before since upgrading to PT10. But yeah, the Kiwi can be a little bright/shrill at times (based on a C12 iirc).

Only mic i've ever used that has never given me vocal sibilance was a Neumann TLM193, but i wasn't hugely impressed with it on everything else. I'd love to save up and get a decent tube mic and tube mic-pre. Been looking at UA Solo-610/LA-610, and U195/CV4. Loving the fullness its providing your voice. Ah well, this month it's UAD2 month. Really need to purchase the tools for the job whilst it's on offer! After only spending a matter of weeks with them, i really couldn't imagine getting a mix to sound the same without them!
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundHouse View Post
Found that out as well with my 003rack. I'm curious to find out what would be a great compliment to add 8 more channels of adda? I decided to eBay my old setup which was a 003rack/DigimaxLT. I thought about a second Apollo but do not know when it will be possible to daisy chain two of them and I really don't need the extra 4 preamps.
great classical recording, also what about using the the oo3 as controller only and maybe the Apollo and a digimax?
Old 15th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieryan View Post
what samplerate? could you do me a favor? could you do the next one at 192khz and post a 192khz version (as wav or aiff) and then a 44.1 downsampled version??.. my ears are hearing that the plate 140 sounds waaaaaay better at 192khz.. my feeling is that your classical guitar will really reveal this.... thanks
Hey Veggieryan, my project sample rate has been 48000.

Here's a question for anyone: I am trying to set up a new project in reaper with a higher sample rate. I tried 88200, and, once the project is open, it won't play or record. Can't find anything in the manual for reaper about this, and I'm wondering if there's something with the way Console interacts with reaper that is causing the problem. I checked the console settings, and it seems to be following the reaper sample rate. Any ideas?

Veggieryan, I will be glad to do what you suggested so that we can hear any possible differences in the plate 140, which is what I use. Just have to figure this out first!
Old 15th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyecho View Post
Hey Veggieryan, my project sample rate has been 48000.

Here's a question for anyone: I am trying to set up a new project in reaper with a higher sample rate. I tried 88200, and, once the project is open, it won't play or record. Can't find anything in the manual for reaper about this, and I'm wondering if there's something with the way Console interacts with reaper that is causing the problem. I checked the console settings, and it seems to be following the reaper sample rate. Any ideas?

Veggieryan, I will be glad to do what you suggested so that we can hear any possible differences in the plate 140, which is what I use. Just have to figure this out first!
this is one of the annoying downsides of the apollo.. you have to set the sample rate to 88k then reboot the machine. Make sure you've saved a reaper project in 88k and open that up after you've rebooted to avoid another SR change.

The Apollo manual does mention you need to reboot after changing sample rates, I must say I find this pretty annoying. It generally handles 44>48 and back, but anything higher and you gotta restart.
Old 15th May 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

Hi everyone, it's good to be back, but I'll be really busy until Wednesday, so there's not much time for me to sit down and focus on the manual. I tried a quick mix of two acoustic guitars, a vocal and drums, so I could listen and make changes and think on new instruments.
I got no effects on the mix, and I'm sure it's me, just not following the signal path or me not seeing something obvious. Would someone please give me a quick step by step guide on doing a mix from Logic 9, with Apollo and Superior drummer.

My drums are in stereo, track 1 & 2, 2 acoustics on tracks 3 & 4, panned full left, full right, vocal center.

The UA monitor situation is confusing me a little. I have the reverb set to aux for monitoring, but don't hear it when bouncing a copy.I don't see a "mix" setting on the UA monitor, so should I put the UA plugs in the Logic mixer, and expected them to come out on the bounce, as I hear them when monitoring
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear
Eq plugs etc.

Euphoria89,

I am not at your level of mixing but I appreciate your comments and I feel we hear things similiarly.

I really liked the 1061 for the reasons you describe and don't feel that the euphonix eq channel strip provides the same mojo !

It seems there is nothing quite like the massive passive. People who use it swear by it!

Thank you for the constructive criticism. I have since reduced the verb by about half. When I listed my equipement i forgot to mention that the la610mkii is also new to me too. Given how you appreciate the analogue retro, i think you would appeciate the opto compresser at the front end so buying an la610 would maybe best for you. Or if you just buy the pre you could buy the 1176 upgrade. But speaking of mojo there is something going on with the la610.

The at4030 is a respectable semi pro mike. Next version of song will have a lead vocal using my la610. When i post i will leave the vocal dry just the pre and onboard compressor so you can have a listen. I will try the two busses: its intersting having your's and Cowboy's mixes to listen to !

The thing I notice between the la610 and the apollo pres is the liquidy fluid quality of the la610 and that bigger tone: they definitely compliment each other!

Thx, kcat
Old 15th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
this is one of the annoying downsides of the apollo.. you have to set the sample rate to 88k then reboot the machine. Make sure you've saved a reaper project in 88k and open that up after you've rebooted to avoid another SR change.

The Apollo manual does mention you need to reboot after changing sample rates, I must say I find this pretty annoying. It generally handles 44>48 and back, but anything higher and you gotta restart.

Thanks, method! I didn't catch that in the manual. At least I know what to do now! Greatly appreciated!
Old 15th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hmmmm. . . the reboot thing didn't seem to work. Maybe my computer just can't handle the higher sample rates??? I'll call UA tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. . Thanks for trying!
Old 15th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

The UA monitor situation is confusing me a little. I have the reverb set to aux for monitoring, but don't hear it when bouncing a copy.I don't see a "mix" setting on the UA monitor, so should I put the UA plugs in the Logic mixer, and expected them to come out on the bounce, as I hear them when monitoring
Yes, you should have the UA plugs you want inside logic for mixdown.
Old 15th May 2012
Quote:
Hmmmm. . . the reboot thing didn't seem to work. Maybe my computer just can't handle the higher sample rates??? I'll call UA tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. . Thanks for trying!
set the sample rate and then reboot.
Before you open reaper check that Apollo is playing system sounds and is set at the desired sample rate.
If so, double click and open your saved reaper project with the 88k settings so that reaper opens at the correct sample rate.
That might do it.

From UA Support Page:

Sample Rate Changes

Because each DAW differs in the way they execute sample rate changes, restarting the computer is generally recommended after the session sample rate is changed for maximum performance.
To ensure a sample rate change is properly executed: 1) Quit the DAW after the sample rate is changed, then 2) restart the computer.
The UAD Bandwidth Allocation may need to be adjusted after changing the sample rate.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear
Console or daw ?

Quote:
Hi everyone, it's good to be back, but I'll be really busy until Wednesday, so there's not much time for me to sit down and focus on the manual. I tried a quick mix of two acoustic guitars, a vocal and drums, so I could listen and make changes and think on new instruments.
I got no effects on the mix, and I'm sure it's me, just not following the signal path or me not seeing something obvious. Would someone please give me a quick step by step guide on doing a mix from Logic 9, with Apollo and Superior drummer.

My drums are in stereo, track 1 & 2, 2 acoustics on tracks 3 & 4, panned full left, full right, vocal center.

Hey MJR ,

Hang in there. I don't use your daw but when i read your post i get confused between what you trying to do in console and tracking and what you trying to do in your daw while mixing.

So if you have tracks printed in your daw and you triggering Superior then its just a question of getting your plugs on your channels and a bus for your reverb but if you only are mixing 4 tracks you could put reverb on each channel as a plug in your cpu should be fine. For reverb on your druns don't you have room mikes in your mixer for superior ? If so maybe just bring up that fader in your mixer you may get enough verb that way ?

Anyway just a suggestion to isolate the ua/console from your daw/plugin problem cus its seems that you are fighting with your daw not console ?

Kcat
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear
Logic ua video

Hey Mjr,

Forgotten whether this was already suggested but have you watched this video from UA re: apollo and logic ?

Setting Up Apollo w/ Logic Pro - Blog - Universal Audio

Kcat
Old 15th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
set the sample rate and then reboot.
Before you open reaper check that Apollo is playing system sounds and is set at the desired sample rate.
If so, double click and open your saved reaper project with the 88k settings so that reaper opens at the correct sample rate.
That might do it.

From UA Support Page:

Sample Rate Changes

Because each DAW differs in the way they execute sample rate changes, restarting the computer is generally recommended after the session sample rate is changed for maximum performance.
To ensure a sample rate change is properly executed: 1) Quit the DAW after the sample rate is changed, then 2) restart the computer.
The UAD Bandwidth Allocation may need to be adjusted after changing the sample rate.
that did it! thanks for the extra info. I think making sure that apollo was playing system sounds (which doesn't always happen at start up for me) fixed it.

Thanks, man!
Old 15th May 2012
Quote:
that did it! thanks for the extra info. I think making sure that apollo was playing system sounds (which doesn't always happen at start up for me) fixed it.

Thanks, man!
Cool, I pretty much went through the same thing in the beginning.
Takes some getting used to since my old RME could change SR at the drop of a hat.
Hopefully UA will address this at some point.
Old 15th May 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

thanks kcat, man, that Apollo guy sure speaks rapidly! I'll listen again tomorrow when I'm not so tired and see if it helps. Basically, I need to know what setting to use on the console, so that what I hear when mixing gets bounced to i-tunes .
Old 15th May 2012
Quote:
thanks kcat, man, that Apollo guy sure speaks rapidly! I'll listen again tomorrow when I'm not so tired and see if it helps. Basically, I need to know what setting to use on the console, so that what I hear when mixing gets bounced to i-tunes .
Plugins in the console aren't going to appear in your mix down. Those plugs would need to be inserted into logic.
Console is only for tracking/monitoring with plugs.
Old 15th May 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

Got it, thanks. Strange, I did have the UAD plugs in the Logic mix before, but this time it worked.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear
Apollo and master bus fx comp/limiters

So we are a few months into getting to know our apollo's, UA plugs etc.

We've been hearing different mixes using different comp etc on master bus (UA ssl G and neve 33609.)

Interestingly, with the UA sale and the Slate digital sale, you could buy anyone of the UA and Slate FG-x for around $150, depending on which discount level you get.

So has anybody been using SSD FG-x and demoing or using the SSL or Neve on master bus ?

If so what is your opinion about these different but comparable units ?

Thx !

Kcat
Old 15th May 2012
Quote:
So we are a few months into getting to know our apollo's, UA plugs etc.

We've been hearing different mixes using different comp etc on master bus (UA ssl G and neve 33609.)

Interestingly, with the UA sale and the Slate digital sale, you could buy anyone of the UA and Slate FG-x for around $150, depending on which discount level you get.

So has anybody been using SSD FG-x and demoing or using the SSL or Neve on master bus ?

If so what is your opinion about these different but comparable units ?

Thx !

Kcat

Just bought FG-x and wicked dig it. It has the ability to bring up the punch and clarity of a mix without destroying the rest. It's the cleanest and easiest to use mastering processor I have found. A definite must buy, even if it's just for giving rough masters before sending off for the real deal.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear
Very nicely done and performed !

Quote:
Hey guys,

New track here. Recorded into the apollo using a pair of AKG c 451 b's and a tube mic my friend made.

Leyenda by Thomas Echols on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Had that being there experience; well done and thank you for posting.

Anything you might add about describing your set up and recording chain would be appreciated !

Again thanks !

Kcat
Old 16th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Had that being there experience; well done and thank you for posting.

Anything you might add about describing your set up and recording chain would be appreciated !

Again thanks !

Kcat
I'm glad you like it! For these classical recordings, I track through the studer, I have the EMT 140 on an aux bus, and I have the manly MP and ampex, in that order, on the mix bus. The mics are about 2 feet in front of me; the tube mic my friend made is slightly to the right, and the AKG c 451 b stereo pair is to the left.

On this track, there is a bit too much string noise for my taste. Bringing down the eq at 5K helped (thanks mcgruff), but I'm still not totally satisfied. I'm going to give it another go in a day or two after I've had time to practice it a bit and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, I'm going to mess with mic placement and eq'ing and see what I come up with. . . I'm not a big fan of classical guitar tracks without any string noise at all, they always have a strange sound to me, but too much is too much: )

Hope that is good info. let me know if there is anything else i can share!
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear
mike placement

Quote:
I'm glad you like it! For these classical recordings, I track through the studer, I have the EMT 140 on an aux bus, and I have the manly MP and ampex, in that order, on the mix bus. The mics are about 2 feet in front of me; the tube mic my friend made is slightly to the right, and the AKG c 451 b stereo pair is to the left.

On this track, there is a bit too much string noise for my taste. Bringing down the eq at 5K helped (thanks mcgruff), but I'm still not totally satisfied. I'm going to give it another go in a day or two after I've had time to practice it a bit and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, I'm going to mess with mic placement and eq'ing and see what I come up with. . . I'm not a big fan of classical guitar tracks without any string noise at all, they always have a strange sound to me, but too much is too much: )

Hope that is good info. let me know if there is anything else i can share!

Yes all good thanks, well now that you mention it yes reducing the string noise would be preferable but keep the performance high ! I play mostly acoustic steel finger picking so believe me I sympathize ! No offence, is there something you can do to alter your positioning attack on the strings and keep your fluidity and musicality ? Likely just a little micro adjustment ? The mikes are just picking up the sound you are creating, but I didn't find this impeded the musicality, intricate playing like that is still a mechanical exercise so there is string sound to the music.

ah, why the three mikes or am I misunderstanding or if you have a stereo mike why not just it ?

Look forward to your next performance; kind of partial to guitar music !!

thx,

kcat
Old 16th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes all good thanks, well now that you mention it yes reducing the string noise would be preferable but keep the performance high ! I play mostly acoustic steel finger picking so believe me I sympathize ! No offence, is there something you can do to alter your positioning attack on the strings and keep your fluidity and musicality ? Likely just a little micro adjustment ? The mikes are just picking up the sound you are creating, but I didn't find this impeded the musicality, intricate playing like that is still a mechanical exercise so there is string sound to the music.

ah, why the three mikes or am I misunderstanding or if you have a stereo mike why not just it ?

Look forward to your next performance; kind of partial to guitar music !!

thx,

kcat
No Offense at all Kcat. I'm all about going down the rabbit hole with the micro adjustments, right hand wise. The thing is, I'm a pretty noise free player generally speaking. I've been a little out of practice, so I'm going to make sure I'm in top shape before I go complaining about the recording being unfair to my playing sound, though: ) I will also reexamine my angle to the string in the noisy passages, as per your suggestion!

I got pretty into blending mics for classical guitar recording when I made my cd ("plainte calme" on iTunes), so I've been doing my best with decent mics (not the best for classical recordings, but I'm liking them okay) and trying to get a good sound. So far, I like the stereo pair blended with the mono tube mic much better than the stereo pair by itself. I'm a big fan of the beauty of live classical guitar, and I've been able to compare many of my favorite guitarist's cd's with their live sound, and my cd was an attempt to do things in a way that I thought addressed some of the discrepancies that I hear between the two listening experiences. Maybe it's just wacky to record this way though?? I'm just throwing noodles at the wall here. . .

Thanks again!
tom
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Maniac

hey guys i just finished that tutorial video that cowboy asked for. i'm just waiting now on compressing the file for youtube. then uploading it.
sorry for the 2 week delay. anyway i hope you learn what you need to from it. it will likely be finished uploading and posted here in the early morning.
don't forget to let me know if i forgot to cover something or correct me if i misspoke something crucial.
thanks guys
Old 16th May 2012
Here for the gear

hi guys i am a new member and i really like this tread and I have a question, I have an apollo and iam using logic and i notice when i try to pan instruments I do not hear any difrences in my monitors i need help thanks
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear
Mono and ua video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben adame View Post
hi guys i am a new member and i really like this tread and I have a question, I have an apollo and iam using logic and i notice when i try to pan instruments I do not hear any difrences in my monitors i need help thanks
Hey do you have things set to mono ? Also have you seen the ua video for setting up apollo and logic ? Its posted a page back in a response to MJR.

Good luck !

Kcat
Old 16th May 2012
Old 16th May 2012
Here for the gear

I´m following the thread with interest, as I hope to buy a Apollo Quad this summer.

Not sure if I understand the US prices. Some say that there are taxes and VAT added to the listed price, some says it´s the final price.

The price I seem to find on the quad is $2499, and free shipping. I will go to NYC in July, and will either buy it in a music store or on forehand, having it shipped to a address up in Maine. Will the price still be $2499 for any of these, or should I expect to pay more, and if so how much? And are there places where I can get it even cheaper?
Old 16th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.m. View Post
I´m following the thread with interest, as I hope to buy a Apollo Quad this summer.

Not sure if I understand the US prices. Some say that there are taxes and VAT added to the listed price, some says it´s the final price.

The price I seem to find on the quad is $2499, and free shipping. I will go to NYC in July, and will either buy it in a music store or on forehand, having it shipped to a address up in Maine. Will the price still be $2499 for any of these, or should I expect to pay more, and if so how much? And are there places where I can get it even cheaper?
JRRshop.com : will do 15% off. Order it now if you want it there before July. These are back ordered. You can tell them to hold it when it comes to stock and ship it so that it will be there while you are in NYC. Be sure to time it right so you don't miss it.
📝 Reply