The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMathis View Post
Song 53- Pearl Necklace by Gal Musette on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Little Duo I recorded and mixed last night. Not SSL on mix buss but cytomic "The Glue" is on there which is similar

@mjb I bounce the stereo mix to a new session so I can use the MP along with other dsp hogs to finish the track

This was my first tracking w/ the new Tone Beast! Loving it so far
Really nice production, Ryan.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

@Ryan

On the road again...can't wait to get home to take a listen.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Hmmm they're giving away Neve Channel Strip and EMT140 with purchase of a Satellite Duo

399$ = 3 plugins
699$ = 2 plugins and extra processing power

hmmmm

Anyone know if there's any voucher that comes with the UAD satellite units?
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar_lei View Post
Hmmm they're giving away Neve Channel Strip and EMT140 with purchase of a Satellite Duo

399$ = 3 plugins

hmmmm

I can never seem to find those deals. On the UA site it just pushes you to dealers. Where did you see that? Are there any deals on Quad Satellites?
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Current UA Promotions

UAD-2 SOLO PCIe DSP Accelerator Card
Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In — a $299 value!

UAD-2 DUO PCIe Card or Satellite Firewire Unit
Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In and EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In — a $498 value!

UAD-2 QUAD PCIe Card or Satellite Firewire Unit
Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In,
EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In, and
EP-34 Tape Echo Plug-In — a $697 value!

UAD-2 OCTO PCIe DSP Accelerator Card
Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In, EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In, EP-34 Tape Echo Plug-In, and Ampex ATR-102 Tape Plug-In — a $1,046 value!

There u go~
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Current UA Promotions

Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In and EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In — a $498 value!

Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In, EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In, EP-34 Tape Echo Plug-In, and Ampex ATR-102 Tape Plug-In — a $1,046 value!

There u go~
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Current UA Promotions

There u go~
Thanks.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

A record I played a lot on came out today. She's letting it be streamed in entirety for today. I like it. It was really fun to work on. We tracked it in an old theatre here in Seattle that's got a recording studio built into it. Mostly live tracks, minimal overdubbing/fixing things.

She's got a gorgeous voice. Worth checking out.

Swift Arrows | Shelby Earl

*edit - there's some weird clipping at points on the Bandcamp files. I just txted her....
Old 24th July 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Perhaps this is why my music sounds a little dark at times?
Attached Thumbnails
UA Apollo First Look (user review)-1069408_709333815762741_1835344642_n.jpg  
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm they're giving away Neve Channel Strip and EMT140 with purchase of a Satellite Duo?
Looks like an upgrade is forthcoming.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 24th July 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Great stuff there Ragan, she's got a great style, like Marianne Faithful does, but with chops, soulful and deep, and I can hear a touch of Raganism there too, well done, congratulations.

*Euphoria, I sent you a PM about your VBC settings.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
A record I played a lot on came out today. She's letting it be streamed in entirety for today. I like it. It was really fun to work on. We tracked it in an old theatre here in Seattle that's got a recording studio built into it. Mostly live tracks, minimal overdubbing/fixing things.

She's got a gorgeous voice. Worth checking out.

Swift Arrows | Shelby Earl

*edit - there's some weird clipping at points on the Bandcamp files. I just txted her....
Sounds great. Was that through the Apollo and UAD plugins? Pre's?
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Sounds great. Was that through the Apollo and UAD plugins? Pre's?
No. I didn't produce/record any of it. I just played guitar and did some BGVs. It was a Digi192 system. Quad 8 console.
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:

399$ = 3 plugins

hmmmm

Where is this "3 plugins" deal?
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wise View Post
Where is this "3 plugins" deal?
Oh i got 3 plugins for 399$ bcuz I bought the Apollo
Old 24th July 2013
Debating if I should keep this mono Manley Mic Pre...I only have a few other outboard pre's besides the Apollo. The Avalon, Tonebeast and Eureka. The last recording I posted is the cleanest I've gotten her vocal to sound compared to other mixes I've done w/ them. No telling if it was the gear, ear or new plugs from U/A

Im borrowing it from someone that bought it used from GC. its the older version instead of the revised one With the DI input on the front and slightly more output gain (Internal workings are the same) Only problem is it needs to get serviced to repair one of the switches on the front. I wonder if GC will discount it further because of this?

My mic locker is along the slim side but I'm slowly building it as I go. Just purchased the Lauten Atlantis and am so far pleased with the vocal results.

That's 1500 I could apply towards a B2 or maybe a cv4...to many options w/ not enough funds and no definite answer. Maybe I just take my gal to the fair and call it quits.

Any recommendations?

Sounds great Ragen! She has some pipes on her
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear
clean pre

@ryan. perhaps as you consider pres you need to clarify what the build of the pres you have/like are ?

The Tone beast has custom CineMag trannys, that are I believe a mix 50/50 of steel and nickel.The steel gives some grit the nickel smooths things out. You also have unique op amps and two sets of caps.

So that clean thing is exactly what differentiates the TB from the WA12 and then you drive the output tranny saturation to taste. Remember too you can swap the op amps too.

So maybe find out whats inside the pre you are thinking of selling cus sounds like you don't appreciate its sound now ?

Don't mean to lecture: just very into the TB (i am getting 2)and tranny's with my 7802 and wasn't certain if you had popped the top to understand those sonic differences ?

@ragan: agreed nice work: sounds like a good recording experience for you too ?

So vbc only went to $249, not the end of the world. I didn't jump on it cus of the TBs and getting the trannys for the 7802, with that, not too worried about plug buss comp but I liked vbc in the demo too.
Old 24th July 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Digging the VBC Grey, still learning the other compressors. I have some time on my demo, so I hope it goes on sale again before my 75 days are up. I think I'll keep it, just didn't have the extra cash this summer, all my students are away.

Is it me or is UAD somehow just missing the boat? Apollo 16 doesn't work with Apollo, who thought of that brilliant concept. Love the upgraded plugs, but not much new ground. You could say great quality takes time, but it would be fun if they offered their own upgrades. I wish that DUO's were upgrade able to Quads for instance. I'd much rather spend $500 on that than a TB upgrade.

What would you guys like to see from UAD? I know they're listening.
Old 24th July 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Digging the VBC Grey, still learning the other compressors. I have some time on my demo, so I hope it goes on sale again before my 75 days are up. I think I'll keep it, just didn't have the extra cash this summer, all my students are away.

Is it me or is UAD somehow just missing the boat? Apollo 16 doesn't work with Apollo, who thought of that brilliant concept. Love the upgraded plugs, but not much new ground. You could say great quality takes time, but it would be fun if they offered their own upgrades. I wish that DUO's were upgradeable to Quads for instance. I'd much rather spend $500 on that than a TB upgrade.

What would you guys like to see from UAD? I know they're listening.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear
ua wish list: tbolt card @$250 US

the fw pop ups just don't quit and people seem to have a better os experience running tbolt.

ua should sweeten that pot !
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear
ua pt11 aax64 bit losers :)

not only is flux already aax64 bit, they are releasing new aax64 bit plugs and have a 40% off summer sale!

Flux Release IRCAM Verb v3 As AAX 64 Bit Plug-in For Pro Tools

as an x bicicle racer I am thinking about buying UA la laterne rouge: the colour of the last rider in the tour de france: come on UA you can finish better than last in the tour de aax64 bit plug race:Paris, c'est tres presque, j'achter les champagnes bien sur !
Old 24th July 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Yes, I agree kcat, a more reasonable Tbolt upgrade is long overdue. By the time they actually bring the price down, it'll be outdated. Apple has a TB 2 now, don't they? Can UAD upgrade their TB to that spec, or are TB buyers SOL?

I hate it when I accidentally put my mac to sleep, and then the damn UAD firewire pop up just won't go away, no matter how many time I click "OK". Uhh... UAD, it's NOT OK. How is it this hasn't been addressed in a firmware upgrade?
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Have anyone ever called FAKE on these?

The fact that audio hardware companies would benefit sometimes millions from two or three posts on the internet makes me really doubt all of these forum posts except when they come from one poster that actually tried a lot of different products and the result either differed or that most people agreed there was a winner.

I think we all need to take one step back about how we consider the vs threads.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7791 View Post
Have anyone ever called FAKE on these?

The fact that audio hardware companies would benefit sometimes millions from two or three posts on the internet makes me really doubt all of these forum posts except when they come from one poster that actually tried a lot of different products and the result either differed or that most people agreed there was a winner.

I think we all need to take one step back about how we think about the vs threads.
The robot trolls are getting weirder. Have you by any chance had your shipping info from Front End Audio yet??!!
Old 24th July 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

No need for paranoia here d7791, we're big boys and have this thing sussed. This might be a good topic for a new thread, but doesn't advance this one at all.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

I think that post was an auto-spam thing, MJB. They're rampant.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The fact that audio hardware companies would benefit sometimes millions from two or three posts on the internet makes me really doubt all of these forum posts except when they come from one poster that actually tried a lot of different products and the result either differed or that most people agreed there was a winner
Did some one call for me?
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

LOL, I don't get your phuns at all. Except me comparing this one to a "vs thread", that was not on topic at all. I am serious though about the forum-users posting audio examples that also many people trust to be true immediately. If anything is discussed it's the way he created the samples.

But there has been many posts like this before, I'm just questioning the immediate trust.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, I don't get your phuns at all. Except me comparing this one to a "vs thread", that was not on topic at all. I am serious though about the forum-users posting audio examples that also many people trust to be true immediately. If anything is discussed it's the way he created the samples.

But there has been many posts like this before, I'm just questioning the immediate trust.
Wait, so you're not an auto-spam-robot?

In that case 1. my apologies 2. I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, not even a little bit
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear
[email protected] what is this guy on about all the clips r fake ? : cowboy go to your room !!

📝 Reply