The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA Apollo First Look (user review) Audio Interfaces
Old 25th March 2012
No Thunderbolt on Aurora as yet (nor Apollo I suppose).
No headphone outs on Aurora.
No Adat outs, or toslink.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

Apollo thunderbolt will come out this summer,unknown price,i'm sure they'll rip us off
Old 25th March 2012
Gear maniac

Wow. I'm really inspired by both the performance and the recording great work please post more.
P.s. links to where we can pay for your music would be wonderful!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
Curious if this is the apollo preamps? and what sample rate it was tracked at?

thanks

Wiz
Yeah these are the Apollo pre's. Tracked @ 44.1/24. I'll try to do some more with the Martech and a AMS 1081 later.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Welcome to the party, Chris.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besottedly View Post
Wow. I'm really inspired by both the performance and the recording great work please post more.
P.s. links to where we can pay for your music would be wonderful!
Thanks, Brother. You can follow the link in my signature to my Bandcamp page. I'll post more tunes as I get time!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by potslutz View Post
mmm,my head hake is growing,have to decide between apollo and lynx aurora.
i have outboard gear so i guess i'll go with the lynx
any suggestion will be appreciate
I'm in the same spot. Add a Lynx Two-B, Sell my Two-A and get the Aurora, or go down the Apollo trail. Decisions decisions.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I'm in the same spot. Add a Lynx Two-B, Sell my Two-A and get the Aurora, or go down the Apollo trail. Decisions decisions.
i guess i know where you are at right now ,this apollo is very tempting
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
hi Criss,can't find any info about:is it a monitor controller too? or just headphone amp?
n
Old 25th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Yeah these are the Apollo pre's. Tracked @ 44.1/24. I'll try to do some more with the Martech and a AMS 1081 later.

thanks for that.....hmmm very interesting....8)

looking forward to more information, and thoughts when you have the time...

thanks again

Wiz
Old 25th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by potslutz View Post
hi Criss,can't find any info about:is it a monitor controller too? or just headphone amp?
n

Don't understand the question.
For the record, I'm a happy Aurora owner looking at Apollo.
I just bought a 27" iMac with Thunderbolt and thinking summer might come sooner than I think.
I already own a UAD Satellite, can I use my purchased UAD plug-ins straight away in Apollo, or is the authorisation hardware dependent?
Old 25th March 2012
Quote:
I just bought a 27" iMac with Thunderbolt and thinking summer might come sooner than I think.
I already own a UAD Satellite, can I use my purchased UAD plug-ins straight away in Apollo, or is the authorisation hardware dependent?
You can use your purchased plug ins with the Apollo, it's essentially the same as adding a Duo or Quad DSP card to your machine.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
just found what i was looking for,i'm considering an imac too with the apollo,i ear happy things with imac users and now with the thunderbolt i can totally burn down my slow mac pro,or get an aurora and stay there.
but i guess i'll end up with an apollo,i'll just wait a month to see what happen and then i'll push the buy now button
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks Cowboycoalminer. I really enjoyed the demos. They reassure the fact that I didn't make a mistake ordering the Apollo. I'm not going to be too judgmental on the eq since you printed it. It's extremely difficult to pinpoint the precise eq that works best without actually making changes while tracking. Obviously this is impossible to do if you print while you record your own music. But awesome job and I hope we can hear more. I will be posting some clips Wed night when I receive the Apollo. Can't wait!
Old 25th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I agree. A better comparison would be.

Duet to Apollo clean no plug ins. This to see what preamps and converters are doing.

Duet with UAD against Apollo with the same plugins. This to see what pre versus post use of plugins are doing.

Martech on the front of both no plugins. This to see the potential for using upscale equipment with the Apollo and the relative comparison.
Thanks Cowboy.
I'll be going from a (name dropping here) Massenburg (GML 2020), so for ME, hearing the pres without ANY processing would be the deal.
And as a Martech (which I owned) is nearly the same price as the Apollo, again, a straight Apollo mic pre with vocal samples male female would be a wonderful. Even as fine a clip as your terrific guitar recording is, it's frequency range is nowhere near as big, nor have the the mid-range content of male and female vocals. For me, the true test of any mic pre is its ability to handle high energy mid-range information elegantly.

The Apollo MUST have excellent all around mic pre quality to make it truly worth $2k (Duo), as you'd still have to purchase the software plugs, other than the usual ones they give.
I have UA plugs, and I agree with all they are excellent.

Last edited by IMAWriter; 25th March 2012 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: incomplete thought
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am hearing pops and clicks.... do you have things clocked correctly? Or am I crazy. Listen on two separate system and hear the same on both.

BTW, all of the clips sound good to me. I hear the difference between the Duet and Apollo bu the Duet still sounds nice.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
I am hearing pops and clicks.... do you have things clocked correctly? Or am I crazy. Listen on two separate system and hear the same on both.

BTW, all of the clips sound good to me. I hear the difference between the Duet and Apollo bu the Duet still sounds nice.
I didn't take any pains with the recording Ron, very busy today. I'll try to accommodate everyone tommorow. As far as the clock, I'm using the internal clock at 44.1 with nothing else linked? Perhaps it was in the recording? I don't hear it. But I will say that I just bounced the files to disk which I never do if I'm working on something important, always dump to another computer. I don't know.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

I preordered an Apollo, and just wanted to say thanks for doing these tests and sharing them. It's very kind of you. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but as I'm very familiar with the Duet, these tests will be fun to listen to.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear maniac

No pops and clicks on my end!
Old 25th March 2012
Gear maniac

Hello COWBOY, I wanna call you GOD because you are the 1st.person who put on the audio clips of Apollo Pre.
COWBOY is the 1st. kind man in UA Apollo history. (Even UA didn't do that.)
Thank you very very much!

By the way, I have to say my honest opinion that Apollo pre is awful.
I don't know how good the Martech MSS-10 is because I didn't know before, but I can tell MSS-10 sounds far better than Apollo pre.
I know the Mic setting was not good(especially when MSS-10) and both are boomy, but even that, MSS-10 is way better.

Apollo pre is loosing expressions at high freq., and mid-freq. sounds so annoying.
I know if you record through Apollo pre, you will be attacking audience's ears.
Apollo pre's sound is so .... dreadfuly hideous.
I think we can harm and destroy audience's brains by the sound of Apollo pre.
There exists some annoying freq. boosted.
I think Apollo pre is dangerous to humans.

However, the AD/DA is as good as Mytec?
You meant Mytek?
Because it's only the important thing to me, I wanna know if it's true.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post
Hello COWBOY, I wanna call you GOD because you are the 1st.person who put on the audio clips of Apollo Pre.

I don't know how good the MSS-10 is because I didn't know before, but I can tell MSS-10 sounds far better than Apollo pre.
I know the Mic setting was not good(especially when MSS-10) and both are boomy, but even that, MSS-10 is way better.

Apollo pre is loosing expressions at high freq., and mid-freq. sounds so annoying.

You meant Mytek?
So many lines to talk so much ****...
If you don't like it it's fine, i've heard a better recording too, and will experience it my self...
The guy just got his Apollo, and you're comment are, "thanx you're a god for posting that...bla bla"...and at the end, "you're interface sounds like ****"..
With this attitude you don't have any credibility, i don't trust your jugment at all, sounds like a teenager posting on facebook : "apollo is dangerous for human".. come on!!!

By the way the MSS-10 is one of the best preamp out there and cost the price of the Apollo on it's own...
Old 25th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
i've heard a better recording too
Hi, where did you hear?
I guess you should introduce and report about that after you threw critical comment on someone's honest and sincere opinion.
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Addict

Don't pay attention to Jason rabbit , the guy is already a celebrity in gearslutz, he is the same annoying teenager who spoiled the raven's trend!
Now back to important things, ........ok it sounds really good but, if I wanna use external compressors how would the routing be? I don't see sends and returns!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Apollo should arrive at my door at 10 AM this morning, 3/24/12. I'll post first impression and review after I play with it for awhile. Maybe some A/B's and so on. Hope others do the same. Cheers.
Thank's for the clip.

P.S. i like how easy it is to use the ignore list, it clean the tread.....
Old 25th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy kiddo View Post
Don't pay attention to Jason rabbit ,

Now back to important things, if I wanna use external compressors how would the routing be? I don't see sends and returns!
That's okay, you can agitate anything and you can say "important" at any little things.
However please keep it mind that Here is not a custmer support for you.

If you purchased one, please read manual.
If you not yet, ask UA.
That's normal people usually can do.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, this song was written by a friend of mine, Chris Stapleton so if you like it, please buy it instead of using this demo MP3. It's on a Tim McGraw record and is easy to find. Thanks.
Chris is an incredible writer and vocalist. Loved his days with the Steeldrivers- one of the best bluegrass bands in many, many years.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post

I don't know how good the Martech MSS-10 is because I didn't know before, but I can tell MSS-10 sounds far better than Apollo pre.

You meant Mytek?
IMO, it doesn't get any better than Martinsound for pre amps, and it well should sound better since I paid almost as much for one channel as I did for the Apollo. That said, the pre's on this box are very usable indeed. Call it another flavor if you will. Everyone always says the Duet pre's are clean but I wouldn't be in that camp so much. Cleanish would be a better term, but they do impart a character. I have a 8 x 192 Mytek and the conversion is on par with that. Better? No. Once you reach that level, your splitting hairs anyway.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy kiddo View Post
Don't pay attention to Jason rabbit , the guy is already a celebrity in gearslutz, he is the same annoying teenager who spoiled the raven's trend!
Now back to important things, ........ok it sounds really good but, if I wanna use external compressors how would the routing be? I don't see sends and returns!
It appears you would have to assign an I/O, say channel 8? as an FX loop. Not a problem per say, but it will take a channel.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Chris is an incredible writer and vocalist. Loved his days with the Steeldrivers- one of the best bluegrass bands in many, many years.
+100

He just signed an artist deal with Universal! We will be hearing him on the radio soon! Fact is, he's doing the background vocals on Straits new tune which he an Al Anderson wrote. "Loves Gonna Make It Alright" Number 4 with a bullet this week on billboard. Check it out!!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

This is a demo using the Martech on lead vox. I had this session from a while back and just re tracked the lead vox for the demo this morning. I used only the stock UA plugs and nothing else. Dry in, post processing. Straight bounce to disk, no outboard. I like it more than I thought, I must say. This tune was written by Dave Nail and Jon Singleton and is used here for demo purposes only. If you like it, please buy it on David Nail's album. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search