UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

@cowboy

Very nice.

@all

Just loaded V Control Pro on an iPad to use from drumkit to control PT and its amazing. Having replaced a digioo2 console with the apollo, I missed a tactile interface. Although I set up a KB37 midi interface, this only gave me basic transport controls at my desk.

The V Control lets me use the iPad on a cymbal stand mount to control pretty much all of PT...including plugs on screen as per computer. Better yet, I can control Console and Control Panel for apollo as well....without leaving the throne. Just scratching the surface but this is perfect for me....no more getting up fron kit to start/stop, change levels etc. It rocks.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear
Ghost

@cowboy

Drag. I saw a thread last week guy had two ghost one modded other for parts: thought he was asking 8ish for the whole board ?

Something will come up you've got that board sounding great hope this works out not too expensively!

Kcat

edit: got it https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...aft-ghost.html

ps saw a reference that the metres can go because of just one thin wire!

do you have the schematics ?

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 25th January 2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: blah
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear
ghost schematics: just in case ! kcat

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ghost.pdf (2.96 MB, 62 views)
Old 25th January 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Cowboy, the levels are fine, if anything, a little hot in the low end, (it's probably just the mp3 crunch), maybe a little higher pass for a tighter low end, but that's just us talkin', it's totally pro, vocal is perfect, guitars tight, drums lay in the pocket, all blended beautifully. Don't worry at all, it sounds real good.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear nut

Apollo Updates

I was at Namm yesterday, and saw the new console, and it is a big improvement, from the old.
the negaitive side is you are still limited to 2 headphone feeds, but they say they are working on that,
I pointed out the obvious that it be nice to have 4 headphone feeds when cascaded.
The next point that I missed was only 12 digital I/O? Why not 8+8+2+2, well if a remember correctly they are using ADAT to connect the 2 Apollos together, they say you can un-chain them and use the 4 phones but the work flow is not as seamless.
They did say they'd like to try and implement the 4 HP feeds, at a later time,but can't commit to it right now.
I'm still happy with this update, but more work needs to be done, the new Pro Tools intergration will help, what I got from that was hardware inserts will be much easier now, but as far as routing options I didn't see them, but maybe I missed something,
trying to talk to some one at Namm can be a challenge,with all the stuff going on around you,fortunatly I recorded my questions on my iphone.
Just want to end my post by saying UA is working really hard,they are listening to customer feed back,the new API's are based off the 500 series, so maybe that's why no 2500 yet,and the the new softtube amp modeling is really nice, you can even re-amp..nice

Tommy
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks....that answered my question from yesterday re digital I/os.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear
nice new pre to complement apollo

So Warm at NAMM has announced a follow up to the wa 12 with switchable transformers and caps, nice, sounds like kind of an api and a neve sound and their tone switch all in one unit;

I think this would be a nice complement to the apollo and UA plugs.

KCat

NAMM: Warm Audio TB12 Tonebeast
Warm Audio and RAD Distribution would like to announce the new TB12 Tonebeast mic preamp. This unit is based off of our Wa12 circuit with many useful added features. These features include:

New 1u rack space design
2x switchable input transformers, one steel core and one nickel core
2x switchable opamp circuits
Switchable from an electrolytic to tantalum capacitor circuit
An internal power supply requiring no wall wart
An output transformer bypass switch
An Output attenuation pot

All of these switchable components lend to a highly flexible preamp with not only one voicing character but can rather be shaped to fit your needs.

This unit of course still includes our much loved tone switch.

Retail Pricing: $599.99
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
So Warm at NAMM has announced a follow up to the wa 12 with switchable transformers and caps, nice, sounds like kind of an api and a neve sound and their tone switch all in one unit;

I think this would be a nice complement to the apollo and UA plugs.

KCat

NAMM: Warm Audio TB12 Tonebeast
Warm Audio and RAD Distribution would like to announce the new TB12 Tonebeast mic preamp. This unit is based off of our Wa12 circuit with many useful added features. These features include:

New 1u rack space design
2x switchable input transformers, one steel core and one nickel core
2x switchable opamp circuits
Switchable from an electrolytic to tantalum capacitor circuit
An internal power supply requiring no wall wart
An output transformer bypass switch
An Output attenuation pot

All of these switchable components lend to a highly flexible preamp with not only one voicing character but can rather be shaped to fit your needs.

This unit of course still includes our much loved tone switch.

Retail Pricing: $599.99
If your still in the market for another pre, I guess you've got another option to consider.
Old 26th January 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Off topic, but pertinent.THIS is my new reference. Just keepin' it real. I'm listening to an original master recording of Alison Krauss and Union Station's "so long so wrong". I haven't listened to a record in my home in 25 years. My first impression is interesting, I expected the low end to be warmer and bigger, but what's outstanding is the high end. There's so much more life energy in the mids, where the vocals lie and in the high end, where the air around guitars floats, than we seem to get digitally, yet it isn't shrill, just alive and bright. I'll see if I can readjust my ears and mix with this in mind next time I'm taking the Apollo for ride.
Attached Thumbnails
UA Apollo First Look (user review)-img_0861.jpg  
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

That happens to be one of my all time favorite records. Artisticaly, I think it was there best. Adam Steffey singing No Place To Hide is audio excellence.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
I know right? Some of these companies must think where morons who can't do anything for ourselves.

I need some advise here. I'm trying to figure out another way to check my levels until I get this thing fixed. How does this track sound on your all's end? Too loud, not loud enough, like baby bears soup? I think I've got a good tune here and I'm gonna pitch the crap out of it so I want it to sound good. It's far from finished and I'll automate everything later but any help would be greatly appreciated on the level.
I dig it !

levels are great, hey cowboy is it me, or does the snare just sound to far back in the mix?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
Pres

@euphoria

I have an unmodded gap and wa12 here for a trial but the new warm will do more than either of them can do alone. The switchable iron and nickle, api and neve voicings and the tone botton gives you essentially a hi headroom Pre +70 db and 6 voicings so very versitile for $600 or the Price of the modded gap73.

The problem will be availability.

Thx again re: adam recommendation as you said each day they just get better. Such great tools i know i am hearing space in my mix and placement and reverb i hadn't heard before.

I liked the relab so i am using it lightly for my lead vocal , the lex for the background vocals and the emt140 with the returm hi Passed like you suggested for guItars and drums.

This all happened naturally as i have different groups and could hear better. Before the adams i don't think i heard depth of soundstage in my mix before.

I hope your mike search is going well f you can afford the BS with the wY you are viscerally involved in the emotion of the recording i think you could truely capitalize on the BS: go for it!

Kcat
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Kcat, how bout some samples between that Warm and the Gap? I'd really like to hear that warm on a male voice. Doesn't need to be fancy, spoken word would do through the same mic and cable
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
Wa12 and gap73

Sheesh @cowboy way to spoil the surprise !

Sure Dude. I was thinking people might be interested so i will do something tomorrow but i thought I would use the apollo pre also so 3 clips and my neuman 102 .

With the WA12 i'll do 2, one with Tone out and another with tone in.

I'll do a vocal clip and a guitar, so you hear some nice jangly transients as well !

Kcat
Old 26th January 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Totally diggin' on being able to hear some pres in comparison to our Apollo soon, can't wait kcat.

Cowboy, you should hear the Union Station Master Recording LP, yikes.

This afternoon, I was showing my friend who got me the turntable some songs still in Logic, not bounced yet, and was quite proud of how professional it all looked and sounded with all the plugs the Apollo's enabling me to use. The Massive Passive keeps shutting me down though. I will get more RAM, right after the other 1001 things I have to do
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
Ram,cpu and activity monitor

@mjb u can get 16g of ram from owc

Please check your activity monitor as your session is running without MP then open MP and observe for spikes in the cpu and memory.

If its your cpu then buying more ram won't help and thoses ram sticks won't fit in a new comPuter.

Glad you had a good experience, we tend to pick our gear, plugs and mixes apart and can lose track of how pro apollo is !

Question: since using the relab and ik ampeg vst in the same session i have a new inconsistent gremlin my bass , only the bass track doesn't play or seems to dissappear from the session after saving: literally some times its there sometimes not. I save major mix generations numerically so sometimes i need to go back a gen ot two and export and import the bass track .

The ik ampeg is a mature plug so i would be surprised if it is the culpret ? But its only the bass line that gets lost. Also, the relab is the one that is approved for rtas but it seems more probable Its the softwRe anomolly but why only the bass track as i don't have it going to the relab verb ?

Any thoughts on my dissapearing bass track ?

Just having coffee and will do the pre demo sequentially using same cables and channel on apollo: post soon. I am really pumped about that new warm pre.

Kcat
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Also loving Relab. It's making more of a difference than i thought a reverb could ever do. Works for everything. I can only imagine time spent working on it. Price is high however, but i do think it edges over anything UA has for overall quality and transparency.

I think i'll save up for the Blackspade. Im positive ill stop looking for anything else after that, which is a good thing. Already got a few decent preamps so im not fussed about much else. If anything, my next upgrade would be a dbox and then call it a day. Im looking to sell off a few more low end mics that i started off with too, simply because i'd rather have a better but smaller setup than 15 mics but only ever recording one at a single time.

Glad you can upgrade LA2a for $150. Thats quite reasonable unless you dont own the original (which most folks do considering it comes free with any new purchase). I was originally going to go for the 3 for 399 deal, but there really isn't much im desperate for and i'd just be spending for the sake of it. API does look cool, and im sure it would sound great, but i'm happy with what ive got so far.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
Also loving Relab. It's making more of a difference than i thought a reverb could ever do. Works for everything. I can only imagine time spent working on it. Price is high however, but i do think it edges over anything UA has for overall quality and transparency.
Native Instruments released a version of the 480 a couple days ago. Some say it's as good as the Relab, some don't. I'm going to finish out my demo on the Relab and try that one. NI's version is $149 for the Hall which is the algo I like. I'll say that NI has been putting out some high quality stuff lately. But so has everyone else. Exciting times.

By the way, bet it helps UA having Drew Barrymore doing their PR. Hope she reads this . . .
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
Pre Shoot Out: Setting Input Gain Gap73

@cowboy/euphoria

So i have things pretty well set and want to match pre gain.

I have apollo set at 59 db and wa12 at 59 but with the gap its the opposite right ? I set it to -40 to get 60db, cus it works in reverse right ?

Or how do i set the gap for 59/60 db of gain ? Also, should I set its output at 12 so its in the middle of overdriving ? This should place it kind of in between the WA12's tone in and out voices ?

Time well spent cowboy, have spent all morning doing set up passes listening on my monitors, using the se filter and not, putting mike slightly off axis and checking 6-12 inches away, to see which tone seems best.

To me, using the se, on axis 12-16 inches away gives balanced tone, controlled dynamics. I am not using the hp filter so this is what it actually sounds like.

So just help to to set the gap then I'll track.

I am going to do a spoken word track and I have the relab set up on its hd setting -25 so just a little body.

Do you want dry or a little relab love : drew txted me saying she loves the relab love: not certain how she knew, but don't want to dissapoint her: would you ?

Here is a screenshot and the mp3 bounce of the apollo pre with the relab as described.

Finally, do you want mp3 or I could upload to soundcloud as I am running a 32bit float @44.1 ?

Kcat
Attached Images
Attached Files
PreShoot Out.mp3 (4.38 MB, 147 views)
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Nice tone in your voice. Plenty of body and bottom end from nice proximity. Great for spoken word. You can easily hear the top end air with the 102 and a clean pre. It's nice. Adds a shimmer to the top which sounds like you've added something, but havent. If you do the WA12, you should instantly hear this fade, especially if you engage the tone control. This is really the biggest feature that makes it totally unique sounding. To me, makes things sound more expensive and fuller compared with other pres, including my GAP73 mk1.

Regarding the GAP, i'd set the output to max and then find the -60db setting or as close to as you can for input.

Thanks cowboy for the heads up. Will take a look. From the few examples ive heard, it sounds great. Heck of a lot more reasonably priced too.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

@ Kcat

That setup sounds just about perfect to me on this end. Proximity is good and the frequency spectrum seems nice and even. If you were to mix that take say in a song, you would only need to "fine tune" it with no more than a db of reduction or boost here or there. And that's what you want. In a perfect world, we want to print and forget. That's nearly impossible to do at our level. Maybe with some old 47's but let's face it, we'll probably never have that luxury. And don't need it. That example right there with tad bit of work will do for anything.

I would prefer dry samples but that sounded good too. Try to keep the same distance from the mic if you can on the warm. Thanks for doing this
Old 26th January 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

kcat, so, that was the Gap pre on the demo? As for the missing bass, that's really weird. Try copying the track to a new track, delete the old one, then save. When I was watching the UAD promo from Namm, there were some details she glossed over, but I was in a very forgiving mood, as she was easy a little easy on the eyes.

Cowboy, have you managed to listen to your demo yet? How's the board situation?

Two Apollos could be nice for a small studio that can use some extra pres, I guess.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
Pre Shoot Out: Apollo, Gap73 mkii and Warm 12

ok cowboy and euphoria

Thanks guys. I had just gone ahead and done the tracking and sorted out the gap by ear; guess I am learning something.

So everything was the same, tlm 102, pop filter, then I just switched mike lead to the different pres and for input to apollo used input 5, I used the se filter and basically was about 12 inches off the mike. I set all the pres for about 60 db, no HPF , no fx, hit record walked over and did the take.

This is one of my poems, I used it as it requires a lot of articulation so thought it would be a good vehicle for a spoken word pre test. I hope you appreciate my poetry.

These tracks are all dry but the first apollo track is the same as the first post just with relab muted.

I will load apollo, gap 13 then, warm12: tone Out and then Tone in, so you can hear the development of their different voices. I did not try to work the mike just stayed same distance off the pop filter so that you can get a sense of how one could also work the mike with each particular pre.

I hate to say it but I was listening while tracking on my cans and the difference between what you hear after the AD, compared to after the DA:startlingly !!

I am thinking more and more seriously abut the Dbox.

This has been great, getting more confident about re-tracking my vox for "something good"; thx cowboy for recommending a great trlal and error approach and to trust my ears !

The warm has some special mojo and the apollo da doesn't do it justice and the gap has that clear liquidy quality and this is the unmodded one. The mp3 makes this sound more uniform in a a bad way, the gap and warm have more intimacy than the apollo and then they get richer and more detailed of hi res, but the apollo pres sound very good too, less subtle through I think ?

Kcat
Attached Thumbnails
UA Apollo First Look (user review)-img_1357.jpg   UA Apollo First Look (user review)-img_1360.jpg  
Attached Images
Attached Files
Pre Shoot Out- Apollo Dry.mp3 (4.00 MB, 259 views)
Pre Shoot Out- Gap73mkii Dry.mp3 (4.00 MB, 153 views)
Pre Shoot Out- Warm12 Tone Out.mp3 (4.00 MB, 106 views)
Pre Shoot Out-Warm12 Tone In Dry2.mp3 (4.00 MB, 153 views)
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
first demo was apollo with relay

no MJB first demo was apollo with relab.

kcat

listen on your cans if you have them you can hear the different resolution better.

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 26th January 2013 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: blah
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
new Warm pre

How do you say No !

kcat
Attached Thumbnails
UA Apollo First Look (user review)-imageuploadedbygearslutz1359212351.920276.jpg  
Old 26th January 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

ahh, I think my Relab demo is only Hall, not the full version, but I haven't explored it fully. I've almost decided to choose the Relab over UAD's 224XL, even though I've prepaid for the 3 UAD plugs and have some time before making the final selection. Still, I might not be able to swing the extra $400, but will try..

hmm, wouldn't mind trying one of those Tone Beasts kcat. My frind has a Great River pre, if I can ever get him to bring it over, that could be interesting to compare to Apollo's pres.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

You can hear the difference in the midrange of the GAP and WARM when you A/B them at similar points. The GAP is more detailed and has very similar lows, but the high end mask's some of the midrange. The WARM doesnt have the same top end clarity, has a really nice bottom, but has more detail in the lower midrange. Import into DAW and quickly solo and you should hear the tonality of the WARM straight away. Sort of that classic API midrange thats very sweet, and also very unique to API's sound.

I like them all, but i think i slightly prefer the WARM due to a less harshness in the mids and tops. There is a touch too much low end for my taste's if you were going to use this as a voiceover tone, but that would be easy to remedy.
Old 26th January 2013
MJB
Lives for gear

Warm, Tone In, then Apollo, if you EQ a bit.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
pres

@euphoria that was my take away too they are all good for different reasons.

In fairness to the gap73 unmodded, this shoot out directly compares it to the warm12 with custom designed cinemag tranny so the mod of the 73 would work to its advantage

When the tonebeast is released with its switchable design that will cover a lot of sonic ground in one pre.

Then the tone beast is supposed to be 599 retail but the gap73 modded will cost 700 ish.

Look forward to it , MJB but I thought someone a few pages back had the great river and at least verbally compared the apollo pre quite favourably given the price difference.

The relab on the demo is the one you have random hall hd mmii. i haven't bought the full as it isn't available for rtas yet just the beta is.

I am like euphoria looking at what I can sell, to be honest, you guys have got me thinking about the blackspade like the one martin has and the Dbox . I could free up most of the dough just by selling some things.

Have people watched the lev Perry namm video sounds like the protools integration creates a lot more flexibility for I/O and maybe routing,as the hardware outputs are now aligned with the protools hierarchy.

kcat
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I sure didn't hear anything wrong with that mic you was using for the demos. If you creep up on it an inch or two, that should give it some more body but where you were on it would do for nearly any mix without having to use too much hpf. Re track those vocals for your tune using these same steps you used for the demo. You'll see what a difference it's made.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search