The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 828 Buzz/Hum
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

MOTU 828 Buzz/Hum

Hello people,

hey does anyone notice that their MOTU 828 (original MK1) has a big hum/buzz?

I tried all the possible electrical combinations, and the hum is still there even if I plug the MOTU alone in an outlet.. I tried lifting the ground, and I get the same thing.

Any clues?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

this might sound trivial? but are you using balanced cables or unbalanced?
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

My cabling is as follows:

Mic --XLR-- Preamp --short XLR-- Converter --SPDIF-- MOTU --Firewire-- Computer.

The only unbalanced cabling goes from the MOTU to my amp.

The problem is that I even hear the buzz if I disconnect everything from the MOTU. I can actually hear the buzz if I bring my ear next to the MOTU!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

hmm

i think i once read about the sheilding in the older motu being a problem for someone...

if you can hear the unit buzzing dude-you prolly don't want to trust it with any kind of valuable audio

i'd go get it checked out by some electronics dude..
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I did at one time have a very low level buzz in mine, if you put you ear close the the right side where the power/clock is. But this was very low level. Actually to hear it, you had to put your ear right up to it. If yours is that noticable, I would have it checked.

I actually had mine store away for a few years until I came across the Black Lion Audio mod. Now the unit is usable, actually sounds not too bad so I'm using it again for extra I/O Matt actually said it sounds sweeter than the newer 828mkII mods.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Whoa, I have a buzz too (2408mkII). But mine is really audible, if I go to sleep in the same room I have to turn it off to get peace. I thought it was a damaged power supply (the previous owner was an idiot), and I'm supposed to send it back to MOTU for repairs. I also found that it can induce hum into adjacent gear.

If this is a flaw of older MOTU stuff I'm really shocked it would go to market in this state.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

mines noisy as hell. the buzz is very audible and this was on a second replacement unit. be aware that these original mk1's can do serious damage to stuff and they dont sound too tough either. mines the only piece of crappy gear left in the studio-im just waiting for the apogee ensemble now.

mine sent a power surge taking out the directories of all my external hd's once hence they sent me a replacement. it still gets the job done for me albeit in a slighty shabby way! Once thats gone il rejoice!
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
I did at one time have a very low level buzz in mine, if you put you ear close the the right side where the power/clock is. But this was very low level. Actually to hear it, you had to put your ear right up to it.
Just for curiosity...

why did you put your head on the side and lay your ear on the motu? Did you sleep with it?

You gearslut you!!! heh

/Cojo
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

2408mk3

hey i was using the 2408mk3 with no hums or anything weird...
what do you mean by the older units causing damage? i've never heard this
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

mine sent a power surge down the firewire cables as it had a dodgy transformer and it wiped my hd directories (on 2 external hd's) and my internal powerbook hd in one swoop. If it had actually mechanically knackered the drives motu would have been in serious trouble with my good self via a court of law. They got lucky that time, AND they still had the cheek to charge me 200 quid to send out a replacement.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

wow...thats crazy
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post

I actually had mine store away for a few years until I came across the Black Lion Audio mod. Now the unit is usable, actually sounds not too bad so I'm using it again for extra I/O Matt actually said it sounds sweeter than the newer 828mkII mods.
Who is Matt? Anywho, I have the same thing going on (2408 MKII), and worse in my BLA modded one (Two units with a 424 card one is stock). I really only care because I get it coming down the line in to my console. It comes straight out the phones jack on the front, or out any line out on back. This thread has really helped me to find the problem, i got down and put my ear to it and whammy!. I have tried every kind of power situation/conditioners, and no help, so time for drastic measures. I think I might try moving the transformer out of the box and shield it in a aluminum case or something. Anyone try this?
Old 12th January 2010
Here for the gear

Motu 828 frying sound...

My motu 828 (the original one... mk I?) has just started making a audible buzzing noise. I think some component in it has died.

I'm a bit afraid to use it, because it sounds like there is loose A/C current running around in it. stike

So, 2 questions:
1) should I stop using it? The audio sounds fine, it's the unit itself that makes noise, and it's getting louder.

2) should I get it fixed, or get something new? I haven't budgeted for a new interface so budget is tight. Suggestions?

thanks.
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe get an interface not from the 1990s?
Old 14th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
Maybe get an interface not from the 1990s?
lol. Right.

done.
Old 15th July 2010
Gear Head

Moto 2408mk3 buzz problem

When I turn on my Motu 2408mk3 it emits this awful buzz for about 15 minutes. things will be normal after that but then sometimes the audio starts to die down slowly and then sounds like a busted speaker, but the speakers are fine. It used to do it every so often now its doing it everyday...What should I do?
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

they all do it AFAIK. mine did it (mk2, years ago), and my buddy's mk2 does it. i absolutely can't stand it as my head is about 2-3 feet away from it in the studio.

the other's 'can't hear it' and think i'm making it up. but i guess that's why i'm the one that deals with the music, eh
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry to reply so late to this post, but this still might help some people.
The buzz you are all talking about is quite harmless.
Just buzzing core/windings of the two big, equal sized transformers inside.
I have fixed mine by mixing up some epoxy glue, and let that run between the windings and the iron core. Don't take anything apart for that. Just a pea-sized blob (not too much) in the top-left and top-right of each transformer, and let is run inside. After 10-20 minutes, the buzz is almost gone.

Pictures in another motu thread: "MOTU 828 mkII USB crackle"
Old 18th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks

Thanks LeeYoo - I'm late to the thread as well but man... I can't stand the buzzing anymore. Your fix sounds simple enough.

Regards,
LazerRay
Old 11th July 2011
Here for the gear

So I have one that has a similar problem, although not only does the power transformer buzz, but the whole unit suddenly has a very very loud buzz/hum in all of the outputs...rendering it useless. Anyone have any idea what it could be or what to look for?
Thanks
Old 9th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
Sorry to reply so late to this post, but this still might help some people.
The buzz you are all talking about is quite harmless.
Just buzzing core/windings of the two big, equal sized transformers inside.
I have fixed mine by mixing up some epoxy glue, and let that run between the windings and the iron core. Don't take anything apart for that. Just a pea-sized blob (not too much) in the top-left and top-right of each transformer, and let is run inside. After 10-20 minutes, the buzz is almost gone.

Pictures in another motu thread: "MOTU 828 mkII USB crackle"
thanks for the info/fix on this.
i tried this solution but i am still experiencing a little buzz/hum from my 828mk2. is there to be some hum expected, or should the epoxy silence them completely ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search