The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Melodyne studio
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

Question Melodyne studio

Has anyone here used the Melodyne plug-in for pitch correction; if so how does it compare to Antares "Autotune". It looks good on paper! I know it will do a lot but I need a pitch correction plug-in for some vocals I have coming up. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 19th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Melodyne kicks ass ! Much nicer than Antares ...
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I've been using Melodyne 3 quite a bit as of late and am impressed with how it handles pitch correcrtion. That said, I still reach for AT in spots. So for me, it's not an either or situation. Since they have different feels to them if you can have both available, it might help your workflow.

Bill

www.warnerworks.net
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

It makes me regret ever using AutoTune.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

It works wonderfully
(Melodyne)
Old 19th May 2006
Melodyne rocks. It's amazing for both pitch correction and adjusting playback speed/tempo. That said, I also own 2 TC Intonators and have Auto-Tune on standby. 95% of the time I only reach for Melodyne and it nails it. When I can't get what I want I go to the Intonators. If those don't work I go to Auto-Tune (but only as a last resort).
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Melodyne is scary. I've done things to guitar and horn lines that I felt guilty using because it sounds so real, and it's so....fake.

Melodyne is definitely more powerful than AT, and has creative applications far beyond "correction", but the interface is a bit awkward (although improved in v. 3). I would say the workflow with Autotune is much simpler for simple pitch correction.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I just bought the light version..."Uno" recently & am a large new fan. It's the most confident I've felt tuning a vocal. That said I tried to tune a mono guit solo part with it & couldn't quite find it...used Autotune and that worked like a charm. Melodyne does rawk though.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

you have to be careful not to overcorrect things with Melodyne, it´s so easy. To straighten out vibratos and that sort of things. But it´s lovely to work with, better than AutoTune

Kalli
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Melodyne Cre8 ain't too stable on a G5 / Logic 7.2.1 ... I gave up getting it to work properly, went back to Antares ... if I get any downtime, I'll give it another go cause it looks likes it could be great ...
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Melodyne blows AT out of the water. I was always struggling to get good results with AT, and with Melodyne, it just falls right into my lap. Scary, indeed.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy
Melodyne is scary. I've done things to guitar and horn lines that I felt guilty using because it sounds so real, and it's so....fake.

Melodyne is definitely more powerful than AT, and has creative applications far beyond "correction", but the interface is a bit awkward (although improved in v. 3). I would say the workflow with Autotune is much simpler for simple pitch correction.
+2 on the slightly akward interface. In general, the pitch correction algorythms sound superior to Antares. And yes.. Melodyne Cre8 and all models above it can become very interesting writing tools themselves. It's a lot of fun, and sounds wonderful once you learn how to use it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search