The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which set of these plugins will be the best for the money and add the most character?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Which set of these plugins will be the best for the money and add the most character?

So i've been searching around like crazy this last week and dropping into threads to ask questions here and there about certain plugins.

From what I've seen a lot of bundles start around the 400 mark. I already own all the Elemental Audio plugins and the protools factory bundle. I used to have the waves renassaince stuff with my pc setup and sadly miss the ren eq and rencomp...

So trying to add another flavor to mix things up a bit and just have more options...
These are what i'm looking at...

Sony Oxford Trio A with the dynamics, eq, and inflator ( a bit more but if its something will keep me happy for a long time then what the hey)

Sonalksis eq and compressor bundle

mcdsp native stuff, seems to be way out of my price range.

One of the URS channel packs that as gearslutz we get a great deal on around the 400 mark for comps and eqs and a buss compressor (i'm thinkin the punchier ssl or is it the api copy would be more usefull then the neve??)

I'm sure i missed a few others but those are the main ones i'm in search of. Would love to hear your opinions as far as those who have used them as far as pros and cons of each and what they are best on.

Obviously I'm going to download a demo and try as many as i can, but I've been up for going on 3 days here in a few hours with work, recording school, and doing final mixes (with nothing but digi and bombfactory stuff just to make matters worse) for projects.

So lets hear it experts. What do you love and hate about these. And don't say buy them all unless anyones willing to pitch in heh
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

What platform are you using.. sounds like a Mac running Pro Tools

Have you totally ruled out a UAD1 card? Great character to be found there and the Neve emus are on their way
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

if you want flavor, filter bank and compressor bank from McDsp are nice...

also the ren stuff...but you know that.

Everything else I've used is pretty "clean"
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

The Tritone stuff has character galore. If you just get one plug of their bunch Valvetone is pretty cool, and it costs less than $90 US. Not for precision work though.
Old 19th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Sony Oxford Bundle A is gonna give you so much !

What a nice, pleasant, airy , clean sounding EQ --- I am really happy I got that.. Another dimension ! Really feels like you got the Oxford board in your DAW ...
You won't regret that one.

I also appreciate the Sonalksis compressor - it's fat. I'd rather use an outboard compressor for that effect though.

There's demos for download - you should try them ! then you know better what works for you.
Last thing I like to say about sony oxf... if you like Waves, and the way it worked, you will defenitely like Sony Oxf.. only it sounds much better...

Happy hunting
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

MDM, you ever used the Sony Oxfords on Powercore? I've heard good things but I don't use PT as my main DAW.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I own a few Sony, URS and McDsp plus a UAD card, but for RTAS, I find PSP plugins unbeatable.

I'd say you should demo them all before you think about buying anything else.

I like Elemental stuff, but not as much as PSP.

The Mixpressor and the Vintage Warmer especially.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I own a few Sony, URS and McDsp plus a UAD card, but for RTAS, I find PSP plugins unbeatable.

I'd say you should demo them all before you think about buying anything else.

I like Elemental stuff, but not as much as PSP.

The Mixpressor and the Vintage Warmer especially.
Totally agree.
Check out Voxengo's Marquis Compressor and Crunchessor.
Old 19th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Yes it's great on Powercore ( Sony Oxford )

About character -- yes -- PSP has that .. I also use Vintage Warmer sometimes ..

Probably depends a bit on the music you do - I don't do any rock/electric guitars really .. But more urban stuff and lots of world/ambient/electronic and dance-remixes ...
So I need surgical tools .. I like that from the Sony Oxf.. I can dive in really deep and accurate and it's just beautifully sounding ...
Yes, it is digital, and it is not supposed to emulate something analog, but it's just really high-end digital... I like it ! And the fat I want to get from outboard .. Still prefer my Roland Space Echo above any plugin, also the one from UA, no matter that everbody says how great it is, it is different, it sounds different and it feels different...
Same with compression.... well .. let's not get into that, sorry.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
....Still prefer my Roland Space Echo above any plugin........

true, true

Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm definitely going to check some of this stuff out this weekend. I am running PT le on a mac G5. Ditched the custom pc with cubase after being kinda brainwashed with pt down here in hollywood dfegad

Actually it just edits a whole lot faster, though i still prefer the sound of cubase a whole lot better....And my buddy's waves diamond bundle i inherited when he moved to mac. now i do the same..

I'm going to be working with whatever will pay the bills for now but my main areas of mixing that I really love are rock, alternative, and indie.

I've gotten used to just using all the digi stuff since it transfers nicelly when moving a project from at the school in one of the labs, to one of the studios, to back at my place with my own setup. But theres something about it that it feels to plain to me. just moving some numbers, no pizazz or flavor.

I've heard awesome thigns about that sonalksis comp, how is their eq since i'd probably just grab the bundle? The sony oxfords sound really appealing but at 600 something for just 3..ouch. though then through in that other bundle of theirs with all 6 for 900 and it almost makes me want to wip out the plastic but i think this G5 is hoggin it

oh as for the card...my g5 has the new all pci express setup so i don't htink its backwards compatible with old pci cards. Also, that card is pretty dated and should be getting an upgrade here soon from what i hear from sales reps and a few on the net.

And one other question while i got you guys here. a simple comp, like the dbx 160 for say, bass or kick? anything that emulates that really well as a plugin? like i said., lookin for all kinds of flavors.

Thanks for your time guys.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

stryke.
i notice your going to recording school.
this might interest you .
with powertracks that i use you can get what are called multitrack CD's.
these are cd's of excellent studio players you can remix till your hearts content.
and they are dirt cheap. powertracks that i use also includes a whole suite of dx plug ins i dont have time to get into. everythings covered from comp/lims/phase/flange/vocal harmonisation/echo/reverb/ring mod and the list goes on and on. an echoplex is even included. ive forgotten what the actual cost
of the whole bundle is but its around 79 buks if i remember.
but its pc only. youll have to contact pgmusic.com for exact pricing.
you might find it quite a learning experience remixing fine studio players.
hope this helps.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

sony oxford 6 pack must be one of the better value bundles now for the quality of the plugs. prices on the idnividual plugs are crazy and the trio isnt much less than the 4 pack. i know its more than you want to spend but if you can save a bit more for the 6 pack you can can cover most of the bases, thats what im going to do anyway.

McDSP is annoying that you cant buy the full featured plugs for RTAS only. you get alot of milage out of the classic pack. analogue channel, compressor bank, filter bank and the M2000 is the best multiband compressors ive used. but they sure arnt cheep, especially as you have to pay for TDM plug to get the full versions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search