The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reason re-authorizations
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Reason re-authorizations

Hello everybody, I have an issue with Reason 3.0.4 (aside from the fact that I hate Reason). I am a school administrator and I have to install it on over 30 machines.

Installing Reason as many of you know is quite a hassle. I wipe out all of the computers here every 3 months and start from a clean slate. However within the course of 3 months at least 5 machines will at SOME point ask for Reason or ReCycle to be re-authorized, which means re-inserting the discs as proof of purchase and re-entering the serial numbers.

This has never been a huge issue, and while I was never able to isolate what caused it to need re-authorization I just let it go. More recently the amount of software and user accounts etc has ballooned in size, so I recently went the route of cloning the machines. This way I setup 1 machine with all the bells and whistles and then clone it (for the record we do own legit copies of all software being cloned, most of it is ilok anyhow).

So the other day an entire room of cloned machines (11) all asked for Reason to be re-authorized... the process took nearly an hour. Upon calling/emailing tech support at Propellerhead they said that Reason/ReCycle only ask for re-authorization if a hardware change has occurred or if the hidden file containing the authorization is edited/moved/deleted.

Normally I would accept this response for the times when a machine would sporadically go down, but in this scenario I don't buy it. Why would 11 machines (which were are cloned from the same original) just one day freak out at the same exact time? They could not offer any insight, and also had no insight on if they were going iLok anytime soon.

I cannot find anything on any forum, but surely someone must encounter this problem somewhere?

Furthermore, I am looking into streamlining the process in which I wipe out and re-do all the computers. I have used the disk utility, carbon copy cloner, and retrospect... all of which work great with EVERYTHING except Reason and ReCycle. Help anyone?

thanks in advance,

-Roy
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

How are you going about cloning the machines? Are you using something like Ghost? Anyways, assuming that the cloning is done properly have you tried cloning the machine AFTER the re-authorization? Not sure if that will help but I really can't think of anything else to suggest.

Oh maybe you can export the registry key and import it into the other machines after the authorization.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Well firstly I should clarify in case of any confusion, all the machines I am using are Powermac G4's (mirrordoor dual 1.25Ghz). I am using Carbon Copy Cloner, and yes I am cloning after I authorize the original machine.

I understand why after the initial clone Reason asks for the discs and authorization because it is recognized to be on different hardware... but after I clone all of the machines and authorize them all what is causing them to randomly go down all at once... I am having a hard time replicating mostly because these 11 machines worked FLAWLESSLY for 6 weeks straight... pretty hard to get results with a time frame like that.

thanks again

-Roy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search