The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is there a simple OS9 cloning utility?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Question is there a simple OS9 cloning utility?

I’m a hardcore OSX user and i frequently use the awesome utility SUPERDUPER to make a bootable clone of a system drive. It copies everything, and makes the destination drive an exact bootable clone.

Is there something like that for OS9? A pal with an older Apple needs it.

thanks
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use Carbon Copy Cloner.

You need to run it under OSX, but you can still clone an OS9 drive.

Ive done it a couple of times, and restored from the image it created. Works a treat.

I dare say the app your using can prob clone an OS9 disk too. You dont have to be in OS9 to clone though, so just do it under OSX.

Best.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Woops. Just re-read and realised your mate doesnt have a bootable X partition.

Hmmmm..... dont know then really. But you could take say a laptop round, and assuming he has FW on his machine, drop it in Target mode and then clone using the laptop. Should be able to do it like that cos it would just treat the target drive as a HD on your laptop.

Sorry, all i could think of. Been ages since I used OS9, and tbo I never cloned a drive when I was using OS9.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

good question. I dunno.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

If he has Toast for OS9 that can work...I have made bootable cdr's of my system drive before, G4 MDD OS9.2.2.

sdf
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I plainly copied all the data on the OS9 drive (OS, software) and just dropped it on another harddisk. On the first bootup the system will look a short time where everything is located and remember it the next time. Simple as that: I have a CD that contains a "ready to go" system(OS9) with all software I just can load on any HD: voila! OS9 is really forgiving and easy. This disk is NOT able to boot. But it's a nice way to have a OS out of the box. Another way would be copying your system, software and data to a firewire drive. THIS will boot and travel with you - highly recommended! I don't know if all of this is "right", as I am no computerscientist but I did it this way and it works without problems.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you want to preserve all authorisations do an "Monte". Use FWB Tools. (HDT)
Became a member of the [email protected] They know what Monte is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search