The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools Session Problem
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Pro Tools Session Problem

I am working in this PT session that has been around for ages. There are tons of unused audio files and regions; old vocal comps, drum comps, samples and god knows... Anyway, I'm having problems removing the unused regions and files from the session. I select unused and then clear, but then PT freezes and eventually crashes. This seems to happen because there is just too many unused regions selected at once. I could of course select smaller amounts manually and do it in sections, but it will take hours. I've also tried to sort the regions in different orders; name, date modified, date created and so on, but PT isn't too happy about that either.

One thing I was thinking of was to make a new session and import session data into that one, but if I only could get rid of the unused files that would be preferred...

Any suggestions?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Oh, and its a Dual 2 G5 with PT HD 7...
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

are these on an internal drive, a scsi drive, or a firewire/usb drive. if it's the latter, that may be the problem. internals and scsi always respond quicker to command... more improtantly a large command like the one you have chosen. if that does not work.. importing the files into a new session as you said would be the other option. good luck.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

All files are on one of the internal drives.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Try saving a copy of the session.....copy everything...and try it on the new session. See if that helps.

Also, are you working on a 10K drive? or 7200? I could see if you have an ungodly amount of un-used regions, and are working on a 7200 drive, how it could possibly freeze up......

Still seems strange...
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for replies!

How do I find out what kind of drives the internal ones are?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

are they factory drives? If so, they're 7200 RPM....you really should be working off of 10K RPM SCSI or SATA drives....
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

How much physical RAM do you have installed?

Rail
Old 18th May 2006
Rab
KMR Audio

Have you tried trashing all Digidesign Database folders and repairing disk permissions before trying to do this?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would look into possibly doing a drive defragmentation.

OR: Reassign all track's allocation to another drive (or another partition).

Then consolidate all your current tracks that you intend on keeping starting from ZERO (gives 'em all new ID's and complete start to end regions). Do a "Save as" with a new session title.

Trash the whole original session with all that audio crap....¡Sayonara!

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

You can try unchecking the "show auto-created regions" first wich will show less regions and it should work. Once you have remove the regions, check the "show auto-created regions" and remove those. It should work. heh
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

I ended up importing session data to a new session. That took about 4 minutes. Every setting followed with the tracks, and the unused audio was left in the old session.

Hovever, some good pointers has been made in this thread about the drive I'm working off, wich also has been mentioned in another thread I have going called Hitting The roof on my G5

This is mainly about Logic dropping out because of insanely many tracks playing along at once, but the root to the problem seems to be slow drives here to. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, so have a look and share your thoughts. Thanx!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search