The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT benefits from PCI-e?
Old 16th May 2006
PT benefits from PCI-e?

PT benefits from PCI-e?

I tried to get some info via the Digi site, but didn´t find any.
Is there any performance difference at all for a HD system between a PCI (-X) and a PCI-e system?

/O
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

intresting question....
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Same Power.
-Brian
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatural
Same Power.
-Brian
Ok, so you mean; same everything, absolutely no benefits at all...?
Well, you are probably right, otherwise they sure would have mentioned it...
Plus, I can´t really come up with any suggestions to what those benefits might be, but maybe someone with a little bit more technical understanding or fantasy would like to pitch in...
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

BUMP BUMP

I was gonna start a new thread exactly about this topic, but hopefully someone can just tack onto this one. P.S. I'm not looking to make along debating thread, I just want to know the facts...

Respectfully,
Scott Harloff
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART
BUMP BUMP

I was gonna start a new thread exactly about this topic, but hopefully someone can just tack onto this one. P.S. I'm not looking to make along debating thread, I just want to know the facts...

Respectfully,
Scott Harloff
Well there is no noticable speed or stability upgrade that I've noticed in PT.

PCI-e is the new standard on motherboards and for add-on cards/external devices. It replaces PCI making it obsolete. The industry has groups from each Manufacturer work with one body of standards group and they plan out new technology years in advance and then set dates in which to slowly begin adopting it in production. Intel/Amd keep everyone on the same page with core motherboard technology.

Read More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-Express
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Maniac

The PCIe core card is actually an accel card in contrast with all previous versions, thus it has a different configuration of chips on board. Hence an HD1 system with PCIe will be quite a bit more powerful than an HD1 system with PCI or PCIX, the same but to a lesser extent, holds for an HD2 system and for an HD3 system there still is some, but not much, advantage in a PCIe system when compared to a PCI or PCIX system. However, note that these are differences in raw specs, it really also largely depends on the type of plugins you run.

See the attached document for details.

Cheers, Bob.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCIe_vs_PCI_Power.pdf (33.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Not until the New Mac Pro Intels come out.
I just installed a PCIe system and it's all the same as a PCIx to me.
The only real disadvantage that I can see is that a PCIe system can only do 3 cards, I have 7 cards in my PCI X system.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Is that because your PCI-e Mac only has 3 slots?

Offcourse there will be a new expansion chassis for PCIe in the near future... so only then you can compare...

As I've gathered you can now run 8 UAD's instead of 4, so there must definately be bandwith benefits...

But basically the PDF in Songman's post tells all in this case, good one
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

AFIK as of today there is no PCIe expansion chassis available.
The future ??? who knows???
for me I can't downgrade to PCIe based something that may come out next year.
Computer hardware/sofware developers take a lot of time to get things going for new CPU technology. By the time that happens they bring out a new systems that's twice as fast and half the price. I am glad I waited 3 years before jumping to a G5 PCIx.

If you want to be a pioneer you have to pay for it. thumbsup
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

I do not think PCIe in the manner Digi is utilizing it, with the hardware they are using, would make too much of a difference.

If you look at the PCIe cards, they appear to have the 4-lane connector tabs. To really get some buuuuuwaaaaa! out of it, I think you would need to have an independent PCIe buss for (at least) the first PCIe slot used for the Core card, and then utilize the full 16-lane/16-electrical allowed by the spec. Splitting a 16-lane/16-electrical between two slots (16/8, or 8/8) might give a possible area for improvement...but with PCI-x boards that have been built right, I dont think it would be THAT big an improvement..

I could be completely deluded, and misinformed tho

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search