The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best sampled Rhodes today?
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Head

Best sampled Rhodes today?

I know there alot of threads on this topic, but I wanted to get an up-to-date thread on what Rhodes and Wurlitzer samples people are using these days.

I know about Scarbee, but $170 seems like a lot of money, and I don't have Kontakt.

Are there any smaller/newer companies I may not know about?

Right now, I'm using the built in samples in Logic (EVP88).

(BTW I just started a similar thread here for Hammond B3s)
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

Scarbee is the best I've tried. Recently, I was transcribing a rhodes part from one of Grover Washington's albums and when I was playing the scarbee rhodes trying to figure out the part along with the recording, they sounded virtually identical to me.

There is also a rhodes sample pack from M Audio, which I have not tried, but judging from the samples on their site seems pretty good and it also has a "dyno my piano" rhodes along with the usual mark i rhodes sound.

Mr. Ray is also good, but Scarbee still sounds better to my ear. The thing is no two rhodes sound alike, and in many cases, pop recordings, especially in LA from the mid 70's-early 80s, there was one or two different actual rhodes pianos that were extremely popular and were rented out to sessions because of their distinct sounds that were on so many hit records.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

How is that a lot of money? Plus...if you actually just want the Rhodes, you can buy it as a separate download for like $80, if memory serves.

I used it until buying a Kronos. They SOUND relatively equivalent...the Kronos just FEELS better, and allows me to keep the buffers wherever they need to be. Kontakt 4 is mushy feeling when developers use it's scripting engines. I had to run Scarbee at 32 or 64 samples to feel like hardware.

It's wonderful sounding. I just am over using software for instruments. It's been a decade, and for the last half of it, latency has gone up and up...(a decade ago) Gigastudio actually WAS like hardware (the Logic instruments are actually from that era, too-EVP88 was my EPs then), which is what I had switched to...but, all these user mode plug ins? Done with them. I have to continue using my VSL/EastWest stuff for orchestral work as there's no hardware equivalent...but, I'm done.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

You might check the UVI site. They have two. One bell-like the other more gritty. Also avid's "Velvet".

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Gearslutz App
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

There's a guy on here somewhere that made some Rhodes samples... I think they were called RedTape? Wurli and Rhodes for not very expensive. I demo'd them and they weren't terrible. I have a real one though, so my standards are high.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

for Rhodes: http://neosoulkeys.com/

for Wurly: http://www.soniccouture.com/en/produ...-broken-wurli/

These are both amazing!
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

Scarbee is the thickest but it can be tough to get it to cut.

Red Tape is excellent too.

Both need a fair amount of dirtying up to come to life imho, but they dirty up quite nicely and, assuming the arrangement and performance are solid, there's no distinguishing them from the real deal in an actual mix.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have the Scarbee and GSI rhodes and wurli's here.

Of the two I prefer the Scarbee libraries but both are excellent.

Here's the link to the GSI Mr Ray mkII and Mr Tramp 2 :-

GSi - Soundware for musicians

Another one that I have been really impressed with the demos is the AcousticSamples EPiano and Mark79 :-

E-PIAN

Mark79
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I have the Scarbee and GSI rhodes and wurli's here.

Of the two I prefer the Scarbee libraries but both are excellent.

Here's the link to the GSI Mr Ray mkII and Mr Tramp 2 :-

Another one that I have been really impressed with the demos is the AcousticSamples EPiano and Mark79 :-

E-PIAN

Mark79
Mark 79 is next on my "to get" list. You dont often see many samples of a MK II Rhodes.

Scarbee does sound pretty thick out of the box (the stock sound is a warm wooly rhodes tone) but its important to treat it like you would a regular Rhodes (run it through an amp or chorus or phaser, eq it a bit etc) to get it to shine in your track.
Old 11th March 2012
Buy Yamaha Motif xf8 and you'll have it.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies everyone...lots of options!

Right now, I'm leaning most towards Redtape. Most of the others sound too doctored up with reverb, effects, and EQ to my ears.

I used to own both a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer, and Redtape sounds almost exactly like what those sounded like recorded straight from an output to a DI.
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Head

Update: So I went with my gut and bought Redtape last night. WOW. I bought the Rhodes first, and was so impressed, I immediately bought the Wurli. Both are incredible! I reamped them through my Fender Twin and it's a whole other ballpark at that point. I literally feel like I'm playing a real Rhodes and Wurli.

I also bought VB3 a few days ago...which is insane as well. I'm all set now when it comes to keys, and for very little money.

BTW It's crazy that there isn't more praise for Redtape out there. Totally a hidden gem...
Old 13th March 2012
Rhodes samples sound about as real to me as sax or guitar samples. There is a breathing quality that is not captured with samples. Same applies to the Hohner D6.
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

The Scarbee Mark I samples are great.

The Rhodes samples in my Nord piano are great.

S
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear
Very happy with Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizard - try the free demo. Does multiple versions of Rhodes and Wurlitzer.

AAS - Lounge Lizard EP-3 - Download the demo/trial version
Old 14th March 2012
I just bought the Neo Soul Rhodes, I haven't had a real chance to check it out, but in fooling around a little it sounded real good.
Old 14th March 2012
I have a radical approach. Now call me crazy, but I plug the actual real unit into a DI or an amp (and mic it) and then play the well-practiced part until I get it right... recording it directly into PT.

I know. That's WAY out there.
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Now call me crazy, but I plug the actual real unit into a DI or an amp (and mic it) and then play the well-practiced part until I get it right... recording it directly into PT.

Coincidentally, that's exactly how all these sampled instruments were recorded!

I'll tell you what's *really* crazy: refusing to let tradition or conservative thinking limit your creative expression.

Totally nuts!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Scarbee is the thickest but it can be tough to get it to cut.

Red Tape is excellent too.

Both need a fair amount of dirtying up to come to life imho, but they dirty up quite nicely and, assuming the arrangement and performance are solid, there's no distinguishing them from the real deal in an actual mix.

Gregory Scott - ubk
UBK,

What's your secret for dirtying these VI's up?
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I have a radical approach. Now call me crazy, but I plug the actual real unit into a DI or an amp (and mic it) and then play the well-practiced part until I get it right... recording it directly into PT.

I know. That's WAY out there.
Thank you for the quick lesson on "How to be a Jackass". No need for future examples though. I think we can move on to:

"Snobbery and How I'm Better Than You - 101"
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think he meant it that seriously. Always nice to hear somebody express some joy in using the real thing.

OTOH, I have the real thing and usually use samples.
Maybe I should rethink.

-R
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used it until buying a Kronos. They SOUND relatively equivalent...the Kronos just FEELS better, and allows me to keep the buffers wherever they need to be. Kontakt 4 is mushy feeling when developers use it's scripting engines. I had to run Scarbee at 32 or 64 samples to feel like hardware.
Did you spend a lot of time tweaking your Kronos ??? I thought the Kronos sounded thin and plasticky when i tried it, but to be fair, i did not spend a lot time with it....trying to decide between the Kronos or a controller/Komplete combo. Feel and playability are just as important as pure sound quality that's why i'm still not convinced about all the VI stuff.
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Rhodes samples sound about as real to me as sax or guitar samples. There is a breathing quality that is not captured with samples. Same applies to the Hohner D6.
I'd love to find any sax sample that is anywhere near as convincing as the most mundane Rhodes sample. Most Rhodes samples I've used are at the very least way more playable than most Rhodes pianos, which are notoriously cranky and action-challenged (I've owned 7 of them). Finding a real Rhodes of a desirable vintage in playable shape is nearly impossible (and yes, I'm including the apparently aborted new Mark 7).

-R
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Always nice to hear somebody express some joy in using the real thing.

Agreed, expressions of joy are always nice to read. That post, though, felt to me less like joy over using the real thing and more like a sarcastic dig at people who don't. But I've misread posts and emails before, so who knows...

I'm with you on the important stuff, though: these days, I prefer rhodes samples to the real thing, and to my ears sax samples (and horns in general) sound like crap.

Brass may, in fact, be the one family of instruments whose sampled ilk are woefully inadequate if the goal is to have something living and emotive in the part. Pianos, drums, and guitars can all be done quite credibly on VI's now, but horns... no dice!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by protodan View Post

I know about Scarbee, but $170 seems like a lot of money, and I don't have Kontakt.
If it's Scarbee that you want (I have it and I like it) you can download the free Kontakt player. It will work fine for you and no extra cost.
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I don't really see how a Rhodes has "breathing quality" when it's just the output straight to the DI. If you want the sample to have breathing quality, you can always reamp it and mic it. That's one of the reasons I like the Redtape Samples rhodes so much...because it is literally just the raw wav files from the DI output, and reamps very well.

A sax or a mic'd guitar I can understand as being hard to sample, but a Rhodes (in my book) seems easy to capture as long as it's done right...just my 2 cents.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've not purchased them yet, but the demo sounds for Rhodes and Wurly in Pianoteq sound really good. The package also contains vibes sounds, $79 if memory serves.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by protodan View Post
I don't really see how a Rhodes has "breathing quality" when it's just the output straight to the DI. I
That breathing quality is actually the player muttering under his breath about how crappy the action is.

-R
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

I bought the Redtape sounds and prefer the Wurly to the Rhodes. The latter seems to lack "bark" when you lay into it and does not have the sheen I associate with a properly vintaged Rhodes. You should also realize that it doesn't work properly with Kontakt, although Jonathan has promised a patch.

I quite like the Wurly however.

-R
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I bought the Redtape sounds and prefer the Wurly to the Rhodes. The latter seems to lack "bark" when you lay into it and does not have the sheen I associate with a properly vintaged Rhodes.

I hear it that way too, and have the same complaint about the Scarbee as well, there's a choked feeling to the overtones. If you find a sampled Rhodes that has the shimmering quality of the real thing, what I hear as a chimey openness on the bell, please let us know.

What comes closest to my ears is the Korg SV-1, which has a nice bark too.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search