The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best sampled Rhodes today?
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

Just for the record, because another poster raised questions about it: NeoSoul support has been stellar in my experience. Jamal really cares.
Old 16th July 2019
I've dipped in to check out this thread a few times over the last few months and I've been very curious about everyone's input. Out of everything I don't already have, I do have to say that the NeoSoul Suitcase has me the most curious! Might grab it if it goes on sale sometime.

But I really don't NEED anything, at this point, and I thought I might chime in with what I've used over the last few years. (FWIW, I'm a full-time musician and playing live keys has been my main source of income for most of my adult life. I'm also a composer and producer for indie artists, TV, and podcasts.)

SOFTWARE:

Spectrasonics Keyscape is, for me, the best there is, and I don't foresee using anything else for a while. The Rhodes, Wurli, Pianet, acoustic piano, and "vintage digital" models of the XP20 and XP80 are wonderful. For the purposes of this thread, the various Rhodes models are my favorite starting point of any of the samples or models out there, and after tweaking with amp/mic modelers, reverb, delay, overdrive, or whatever else I want to use to tweak them, they just work. And they're inspiring to play.

Scarbee was my go-to before Keyscape. I honestly don't use it much any more. It's very serviceable and takes effects well, so if you already use NI Komplete, you don't really NEED Keyscape's Rhodes, you can go very far with Scarbee.

Logic's native electric piano instrument is actually quite useable too. Not as good as the Scarbee, to my ears, and not nearly as good as Keyscape, but really not bad in the scheme of things. And, like the others, a bit of tweaking with effects will take them a lot further.

Hardware-wise, I think all the main makers are including very solid, useable Rhodes sounds these days. I'm on Roland at the moment and I'm very happy with my FA-06 (and I got a ridiculous amount of mileage out of my cheap, lovely little Juno-DI). The Yamaha Montage/MO line is good, but for Rhodes I like the Roland a bit better. The Korg Kronos might have my favorite out of all of them, but that board is just too big, heavy, and expensive for gigging, IMO. Same with Nords, but I really like them in general... I just feel like I get significantly more bang for buck out of the Roland. I do tend to credit Nord with forcing the other big companies to step their Rhodes patch game up significantly, and I appreciate them for that!

TL:DR; Keyscape is tops for me, as it is for many others here.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

For hardware, my Dexibell Vivo S7 has great Rhodes and Wurlitzer sounds. But no Keyboard action feels like a Rhodes spongy response, so you end up playing a bit diiffently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
*snip*
Scarbee was my go-to before Keyscape. I honestly don't use it much any more. It's very serviceable and takes effects well, so if you already use NI Komplete, you don't really NEED Keyscape's Rhodes, you can go very far with Scarbee.
*snip*
Please note that Scarbee has made a new Rhodes, the Classic EP-88, which is not in NI Komplete and sounds a lot better than Scarbee Mark I (which is sold by NI).

I also see it is currently on sale
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I blend mine since since I can’t find one that does all of the aspects.
Bill Evans sound is Cantebury + PianoTeq
Brian Auger Keyscape + NeoSoul
Chick Corea Dual Keyscape
Josef Zawinul Cantebury + NeoSoul. Killer Phaser / Wah-Wah.
Kontakts Scarbee is weak compared to when it was in Gigastudio but I will but the EP88 very soon. Don’t really need as I have many others but Scrabee started it all for me so I should get that since the one ported to Kontakt years ago sounds like it should be free.

PianoTeq is so beefy it’s perfect to give other Samples a bigger sound like hardware would do.

No ROMpler has one I like either.
Kronos and Nord are OK the Privia PX-5S was pretty good.
I just prefer Software based instruments due to extra fidelity and DRAM.

Options make me happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The brand name Rhodes recently changed hands. The new owner says he has plans to manufacture them again. Some models may have new additions - analog FX built in perhaps? I would imagine it's going to be at least a couple of years before they are on sale
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscowie View Post
The brand name Rhodes recently changed hands. The new owner says he has plans to manufacture them again. Some models may have new additions - analog FX built in perhaps? I would imagine it's going to be at least a couple of years before they are on sale
That happened 10 yrs ago!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Its happened again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
Please note that Scarbee has made a new Rhodes, the Classic EP-88, which is not in NI Komplete and sounds a lot better than Scarbee Mark I (which is sold by NI).

I also see it is currently on sale
That's good to know! I was indeed referring to the Scarbee EP package in NI Komplete 10/11, and I've heard great things about the 88, so I haven't tried that against Keyscape yet. For what you get in Komplete, the included Scarbee instruments are still a very good value, I have to say. I got a lot out of them before Keyscape took over.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its happened again.
You have a link to this or any other info on who the buyer was?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sorry, it would be sneaky to out the buyer at this time. But be assured I'm not making this up All I know is he bought the brand name which came as quite a surprise to me considering he previously showed no interest in this particular field before. But he's a good guy and I'm sure he will do the name proud.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, it would be sneaky to out the buyer at this time. But be assured I'm not making this up All I know is he bought the brand name which came as quite a surprise to me considering he previously showed no interest in this particular field before. But he's a good guy and I'm sure he will do the name proud.
OK but I'm not sure why the new owner wouldn't want to make this news public and broadcast it as far as possible, considering the PR fiasco that surrounded the old owner.

I'm sure the Rhodes community would be very excited to find out the Mark is in new hands.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vee View Post
Kontakts Scarbee is weak compared to when it was in Gigastudio but I will but the EP88 very soon. Don’t really need as I have many others but Scrabee started it all for me so I should get that since the one ported to Kontakt years ago sounds like it should be free.

PianoTeq is so beefy it’s perfect to give other Samples a bigger sound like hardware would do.
But the Gigasampler and Kontakt samples are the same and transpose engine is never used since each key is sampled individually. Pianoteq's specialty is piano and other Acoustic stringed and percussion instruments. You think the Pianoteq Rhodes is on the same level as the Acoustics?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search