The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MacBook's are here. Desktop Synthesizers
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

MacBook's are here.

The "new iBook's" are here. In black and white..

http://www.apple.com
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Forget the colour scheme dude...built in optical I/O baby!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

it kinda sucks that the black comes at a $200 premium. Did anyone else notice that the Mac Mini's and the MacBook's use system memory for graphics, rather then having dedicated graphics memory like the MacBook Pro and the Power Mac?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
it kinda sucks that the black comes at a $200 premium. Did anyone else notice that the Mac Mini's and the MacBook's use system memory for graphics, rather then having dedicated graphics memory like the MacBook Pro and the Power Mac?
yea, and that seems to be the main crippling of them (aside from screen size and hd speed options). But its still a great deal.
Now that Apple's products are truley competing with other PC's rather than other Macs (i.e. crippling ibooks vs. powerbooks) there is alot more bang for buck throughout the Apple proiduct line.

and yea its kinda dumb that you gotta pay $200 for black, and the only difference on the inside is 20GB more HD.
but hell i once paid a little more ($50) for a black Waldorf Microwave XT (but they only made 666 of the black ones, and it was serial # 66. heh)
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Where are you seeing that info about optical I/O?
Old 17th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Where are you seeing that info about optical I/O?
It's on the tech specs page...
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
and yea its kinda dumb that you gotta pay $200 for black, and the only difference on the inside is 20GB more HD.
but hell i once paid a little more ($50) for a black Waldorf Microwave XT (but they only made 666 of the black ones, and it was serial # 66. heh)
It's funny, a friend of mine did the exact same thing. I always though the "standard" orange looked better but he paid the extra coin for the black one a few years back.

He's since quit music and while selling his gear (he made it a point of buy all the limited editions), he looked at it all, laughed and said, "Why the f--- did I care what color it was?!"
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

just got back from the apple store. the black macbook is awesome looking. definetly better looking than the white. still not as good looking as the pro. the black looks better in person than the pics on the site.

tried running a 1080p HD movie (downloaded off apple's site) and the macbook choked. played the same thing on the macbook pro (15inch 2gz) and it played fine, due all in part to the graphics card ram. so id say if you are interested in video editing its probably no good, but for music it should rock like the macbook pro (its the identical cpu and ram capacity)....
Old 17th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
It's funny, a friend of mine did the exact same thing. I always though the "standard" orange looked better but he paid the extra coin for the black one a few years back.

He's since quit music and while selling his gear (he made it a point of buy all the limited editions), he looked at it all, laughed and said, "Why the f--- did I care what color it was?!"
I can see why he had to quit music !
dfegad
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think a Black Macbbok is going to show dirt, scraches a lot more than a white one would. I had a black nano and it looked like **** after a month.
Old 17th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I think a Black Macbbok is going to show dirt, scraches a lot more than a white one would. I had a black nano and it looked like **** after a month.
That's what I was thinking...
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm afraid of the NEW GLOSSY SCREEN that will reflect like a mofo

and i bet it runs freakin hot.

nad-scorcher!

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

MacBook + LogicPro + Apogee Ensemble =$4k

just about what Digi's manuals cost.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

is MacBook really faster than powerbook?
if Intel Core Duo is really fast as they explain,finally the Intel desktop will be....wowow.is it?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by title
tried running a 1080p HD movie (downloaded off apple's site) and the macbook choked. played the same thing on the macbook pro (15inch 2gz) and it played fine, due all in part to the graphics card ram.
Interesting, because some people over on the Macrumors.com forums were saying they went in the Apple store and were able to play 1080p HD movie trailers just fine.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
I'm afraid of the NEW GLOSSY SCREEN that will reflect like a mofo and i bet it runs freakin hot.
nad-scorcher!

Cool, another Nad Scorcher fan! I saw them open up for
the Impetant Sea Snakes in '91!

heh
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaphoron
Interesting, because some people over on the Macrumors.com forums were saying they went in the Apple store and were able to play 1080p HD movie trailers just fine.
i think they said HD not 1080p (i read the same thing). probably more like a 720 movie. can you confirm? just curious because i just downloaded something random to test and it was choking....
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich
MacBook + LogicPro + Apogee Ensemble =$4k

just about what Digi's manuals cost.
???????????????????????????????????????????

silly. actually when you get that macbook stocked with ram and some other things your going to need, your more like 6k.

like Logic's manuals are anything to write home about....
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by title
like Logic's manuals are anything to write home about....
absolutely true. they're awful.

anyway, just wanted to point out that digi should start to cover his back.
Native is getting there finally, at a tenth of the cost, and Digi may end up eating the same bad medicine as Studer and Otari.

which will be great for all of us. (i mean, the prices falling down)
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why no FW800 ports? There is only one 400.

All the new ipods are USB now, is Apple dropping firewire?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.

No. From what I've read and heard, the general consensus among the computer manufacturers is that FW800 hasn't taken off like everybody expected. So while it will continue to be available on some models, the focus is going to be more on FW400 as the "de facto standard".

FW800 ports are available on the MacBook Pro.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz
No. From what I've read and heard, the general consensus among the computer manufacturers is that FW800 hasn't taken off like everybody expected. So while it will continue to be available on some models, the focus is going to be more on FW400 as the "de facto standard".

FW800 ports are available on the MacBook Pro.
17" model only.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
Cool, another Nad Scorcher fan! I saw them open up for
the Impetant Sea Snakes in '91!

heh

you're a funny one! Nice!

thumbsup
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
Nah, it's no problem. Silicon Graphics (SGI) did the whole shared memory thing a long time ago with their o2 series (R5k, R10k), and look where they are today. Oh, wait... that's chapter 11. Nevermind.

At least they're still selling super computers to the NSA....

fuuck
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

5400 RPM drive only I think, but apparently you can now change them yourself with any 2.5" SATA drive?
Old 19th May 2006
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternative4
is MacBook really faster than powerbook?
if Intel Core Duo is really fast as they explain,finally the Intel desktop will be....wowow.is it?
WAAAAYYYY FASTER....

when it comes to number crunching (including audio application performance), Apple wasn't lying when they said 3-4x faster than the Powerbook.

...and shared graphics aren't an issue when dealing with audio apps. i have a core duo mac mini and even though playing 3d games isn't anything to write home about, audio apps kick ass and the screen redraws on a 24" Dell LCD are just fine.

so the Macbooks should be pretty fast too despite shared graphics.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaSound
Nah, it's no problem. Silicon Graphics (SGI) did the whole shared memory thing a long time ago with their o2 series (R5k, R10k), and look where they are today. Oh, wait... that's chapter 11. Nevermind.

At least they're still selling super computers to the NSA....

fuuck

Dude, an SGI reference on Gearslutz? You just made my day. For real. Thank you. heh

The real issue here is not the shared memory but the horsepower of the Intel chip itself. With a fast interconnect to main memory the shared memory will not be crippling by itself.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

PSP Neon is not ready for MacBooks yet... I'm selling my Powerbook 1.67 and buying new MacBook because it can handle over 5x Space Designers more in Logic. I assume that it will be similar with Neon when it's ready. Let it be soon, PSP.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.

I just got a new 60GB iPod it has Firewire...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search