The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MacBook's are here. Desktop Synthesizers
Old 20th May 2006
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
kmshroom's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I just got a new 60GB iPod it has Firewire...
Are you sure you have the latest model? I have a 60GB iPod Video and it is USB-only. The people at the store told me that all iPod Videos (the latest iPod) are USB-only, and Apple.com says that's the case as well.

You sure you don't have the 60GB iPod Photo? It's about twice the size of the Video, and doesn't support videos..
Old 20th May 2006
  #32
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 

new ipods are usb only. though you can still use them as an external drive which is great.


I love the idea of the macbook/ensemble/logic 7 combo.

That will cost me less than £2500 in the uk. Thats a great deal for such a jump in speed and convertor/software quality. Im sold. Has to be the black macbook tho.

Ive got a black car and everyone tells me how much they show dirt but its just a myth. A white car looks far worse in all respects, sam goes for these macbooks.

Excellent.
Old 22nd May 2006
  #33
Lives for gear
 
copperx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
Ive got a black car and everyone tells me how much they show dirt but its just a myth. A white car looks far worse in all respects, sam goes for these macbooks.
Dude, you must be blind.

But seriously,

Black = generic, dull PC waka-taka. But it is more low-key and conservative,
and I can imagine some people wanting that (business settings, etc). Not a
lot of flashy-taffy.

White = Apple wow-factor

Of course, your milleage will vary a lot.
Old 22nd May 2006
  #34
Lives for gear
 
copperx's Avatar
 

By the way, I'm selling a Kurzweil Rumour and a Yamaha i88x in the 2nd hand forum so I can afford a MacBook for school, any takers? heh
Old 22nd May 2006
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

did you guys see the new apple store in NY ??? kicks some major pc butt : )

www.apple.com
Old 23rd May 2006
  #36
Lives for gear
 
audiothings's Avatar
 

only thing i can add is that you will still need a coaxial to optical converter + optical to minijack converter to use it with a portable a/d converter such as the mini-me or the lunatec v3. Not a lot of money but certainly more hassle.

self.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #37
Gear Maniac
 
JohnNy C's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
did you guys see the new apple store in NY ??? kicks some major pc butt : )

www.apple.com
No, and I live here damn it. What's the address, I need to go check it out. I am a HUGE Mac freak and my my good friend is making the big switcharoo in a couple days from M$, so the new store would be a perfect place for him to pick up a fresh new Mac.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #38
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmshroom
Are you sure you have the latest model? I have a 60GB iPod Video and it is USB-only. The people at the store told me that all iPod Videos (the latest iPod) are USB-only, and Apple.com says that's the case as well.

You sure you don't have the 60GB iPod Photo? It's about twice the size of the Video, and doesn't support videos..
It only charges on Firewire ...
Old 23rd May 2006
  #39
Lives for gear
 
tnjazz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx
Dude, you must be blind.

But seriously,

Black = generic, dull PC waka-taka. But it is more low-key and conservative,
and I can imagine some people wanting that (business settings, etc). Not a
lot of flashy-taffy.

White = Apple wow-factor

Of course, your milleage will vary a lot.
Just got my new black one last night. Super sweet. The white one in the store the other day was nasty. The touchpad was almost completely brown from dirt and grime and there were fingerprints all over the case I could see from across the aisle. No way would I get one of the white ones. I do kind of wish they'd made them in aluminum finish though. That would probably have been better than the matte black, really.

Dirk
Old 23rd May 2006
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz
Just got my new black one last night. Super sweet. The white one in the store the other day was nasty. The touchpad was almost completely brown from dirt and grime and there were fingerprints all over the case I could see from across the aisle. No way would I get one of the white ones. I do kind of wish they'd made them in aluminum finish though. That would probably have been better than the matte black, really.

Dirk
yeah I always wondered how people managed to keep an allwhite laptop clean.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #41
Gear Maniac
 
2A Batterie's Avatar
 

I wonder if the black Macbook's record audio better than the white ones. Th
Old 23rd May 2006
  #42
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
I was thinking about picking up the white Macbook base model for £749. I may add some more ram.

Do you guys think this thing will run well with my existing RME Fireface and Logic Pro as a portable recording setup.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #43
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
I was thinking about picking up the white Macbook base model for £749. I may add some more ram.

Do you guys think this thing will run well with my existing RME Fireface and Logic Pro as a portable recording setup.
Most likely would be a great setup!
Old 23rd May 2006
  #44
krs
Lives for gear
 
krs's Avatar
 

What's the deal with the optical ports? Formats? If it's on the spec pages I don't see it...would be UNREAL if I could plug my Apogee AMBus ADAT card straight into this thing..
Old 23rd May 2006
  #45
Lives for gear
 
nathanvacha's Avatar
 

The thing i'm pissed about is that they make my ibook look more like an "idictionary"...

I suffer from always wanting the smallest one... and they're like 2/3 as thick.

Never had a problem with the white, either way. the outside is covered in band stickers and whatnot, but the trackpad looks absolutely fine... I just have to blow coffee grounds out of the keyboard every now and then.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #46
Lives for gear
 
thearnicasync's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
I'm afraid of the NEW GLOSSY SCREEN that will reflect like a mofo

and i bet it runs freakin hot.

nad-scorcher!


I was freaked about this too. I've had for a week, and WAY cooler than my 12" PB g4 was. Seriously, you can put it on your lap and run it for a half hour before it even starts to get uncomfortable.

These also natively support screen spanning. This thing rocks...easily the best mac I've ever had...

Well, so far anyway...
Old 23rd May 2006
  #47
Lives for gear
 
thearnicasync's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
What's the deal with the optical ports? Formats? If it's on the spec pages I don't see it...would be UNREAL if I could plug my Apogee AMBus ADAT card straight into this thing..

It's still 1/8" mini jack, but core audio gives you options up to 24/96. Also, it lets you select a clock source!!!!!

It's only fair price I ever got on a computer...!
Old 23rd May 2006
  #48
krs
Lives for gear
 
krs's Avatar
 

optical ADAT or SPDIF?
Old 23rd May 2006
  #49
Lives for gear
 
atticus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs
optical ADAT or SPDIF?
S/PDIF
Old 24th May 2006
  #50
krs
Lives for gear
 
krs's Avatar
 

Cheers!
Old 25th May 2006
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Gaston69's Avatar
Macbook + Amek DMCL

Hi All,

Well I'm on holiday in Turkey and was actually just checking out my mail and dıscovered that Apple released the Macbook for just 1100 Euros which suits my budget a lot more then the price of it's bıgger brother the Macbook Pro.
Now before İ start spending my money for such a device I would like to get some advice.

Can I connect my Amek DMCL to the Macbook usıng the optical connectıon?
And will the macbook be a perfect companion for live/remote recording?

İf so I am planning to buy ıt wıth 1 Gıg and buy also an external La Cıe Drıve

Sorry for the ı, this is a Turkısh keyboard
Old 25th May 2006
  #52
Lives for gear
 
ersheff's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
yeah I always wondered how people managed to keep an allwhite laptop clean.
You just have to wash your filthy hands once in a while...
Seriously though, my 6 month old 12" ibook looks almost as fresh as the day I first opened it. Think about how many dirty hands there are going through a NY Apple store and trying everything out...
Old 25th May 2006
  #53
Lives for gear
 
copperx's Avatar
 

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up the white Macbook base model for £749. I may add some more ram.

Do you guys think this thing will run well with my existing RME Fireface and Logic Pro as a portable recording setup.

Most likely would be a great setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Most likely would be a great setup!
I disagree. It would be a kick-ass setup.
Old 25th May 2006
  #54
Gear Nut
 
Shlomo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by title
tried running a 1080p HD movie (downloaded off apple's site) and the macbook choked. played the same thing on the macbook pro (15inch 2gz) and it played fine, due all in part to the graphics card ram. so id say if you are interested in video editing its probably no good, but for music it should rock like the macbook pro (its the identical cpu and ram capacity)....
I also tried this experiment last weekend. But the reason mine choked was because the airport network in the Apple Store was too S-L-O-W. It would start playing it before it had buffered enough.

Could this be what was happening in your situation? The 7 seconds of 1080i Click that downloaded from Apple Quicktime previews played without a hitch for me.

But that was only 7 seconds. I'd like to see what happens when 180 MB of HD video is in the buffer.
Old 26th May 2006
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
jb_studio's Avatar
 

Well, I just got my MacBook today... I downloaded the trailer for "World Trade Center" at 1080p HD (file size: 167MB) off the Apple site and it played flawlessly (looks great on the new screen, too). Is that what you guys are talking about? Or did I miss something?

Wish I had something more postive to say about the trailer itself (it made me cringe) -- JB
Old 26th May 2006
  #56
the new screens are really nice, the gloss saturates. I really like the latch for these, magnetic. i wish they would have put that out along time ago, as my powerbook latch sucks bad.
Old 26th May 2006
  #57
Lives for gear
 
audiothings's Avatar
 

Quote:
What's the deal with the optical ports? Formats? If it's on the spec pages I don't see it...would be UNREAL if I could plug my Apogee AMBus ADAT card straight into this thing..
same as my previous post... it seems to be a 1/8" optical port.... you'll need an (coaxial) s/pdif to (toslink) optical converter and then a (toslink) optical to 1/8" converter...

i could be wrong.

self.
Old 26th May 2006
  #58
Lives for gear
hey y'all i just picked the middle white macbook too.
pretty sweet.

although it was only AFTER i bought it that i realized
diskwarrior doesn't work for intel macs.

anyone have up to date info on the disk repair situation
other than the original bootup DVD?
Old 27th May 2006
  #59
Lives for gear
 
echorec's Avatar
 

Picked the middle model too. Very happy so far.
Old 29th May 2006
  #60
Gear Maniac
 
pabloman's Avatar
 

I'm also getting the model in the middle. It should arrive today!
Looking forward to benchmark it with Logic Pro...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump