The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
B3 emulators in 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

B3 emulators in 2012

I know there are several threads on this, but I just wanted a more up to date look at what B3 emulators people are using these days. Are there any smaller companies that I might not know about?
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear
The GSI VB3 is the best, and it's not close. I'm a keys player for 20 years.
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

What about the built-in sound in Kontakt 4? I've been using those (I'm not a keyb player) and I've been just fine..?
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

The original b4 runs fine in Cubase6x64.

...and for hardware, both Hammond and Korg have really good models.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
What about sending it out to a Leslie and then micing the upper and lower rotors in a real room?
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got double the years on you and I agree 100%.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Try the VB3 using the Leslie in Amplitube 3.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep agreed! I have VB3 here along with NI Vintage Organs and a Hammond XK1.

VB3 is by far the best of these by some margin!
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Most B3 emu's sound quite good,
it's always the speaker-sim that screws
it up.
A friend of mine recently recorded a dsp-based B3
with a real Leslie and 2 ribbons; very good!
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Nut

I fully agree with those who praise VB3. There are 2 problems, though :

- in my setup (Cubase 6-32 bits under W7pro-64), I get sometimes a horrible sustained loud noise with it. I have to quickly remove the instrument track dedicated to it when it happens. The issue is arising erraticaly and it's the only VSTi that gives me this kind of trouble.

- Still waiting for a 64 bits version. I keep using Cubase in its 32 bits flavour because of it (and GSi MrRay MkII, which is completely stable, by the way...). And the last version is the 1.4 one which is not exactly recent : seems more and more like abandonware to me, sadly.

So, for its pure sonic quality, yes, VB3 is the best, but... (see the above). I wouldn't mind paying 50 euros again for a 64 bits version which eradicates the loud noise issue.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
I fully agree with those who praise VB3. There are 2 problems, though :

- in my setup (Cubase 6-32 bits under W7pro-64), I get sometimes a horrible loud noise with it. I have to quickly remove the instrument track dedicated to it when it happens. The issue is arising erraticaly and it's the only VSTi that gives me this kind of trouble.
Have you contacted Guido about this!? I also have this same problem here on the exact same setup and VB3 is the only vsti that has this issue. I also have Mr Ray mkII and Mr Tramp mkII from the same company and neither of these have this issue!

I contacted Guido and he point blankly refused to accept that it was anything to do with VB3 and that it had to be my setup. He said I;m the only person to have this problem and that is that!!

This has made me quite mad because the company has refused to look into this further for me and I find it extremely poor customer support!!!!

I find it quite ridiculous that Guido says it must be something wrong with my setup despite all his other plugins working fine here!!
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Nut

Hi, dickiefunk

Thanks for your answer. I admit I didn't try to contact him about it yet, but your post entices me to do so. Will do this afternoon and keep you informed about it.

Cheers,

EDIT : I just sent him the following message, in the 'Contact' area of GSi site :

Hi Guido,

This mail to present you an issue about VB3 that I have since the 1.4 version. Sometimes, and it happens quite often in an erratical way, I get a loud sustained noise, similar to a AC hum when using a template with Cubase in which VB3 is involved. The only way to get rid of it is removing the instrument track dedicated to it.

I couldn't pinpoint yet what can trigger the problem, as it arises even without using Vb3 itself. It's the only VSTi that brings this problem and I also own a licence for MrRay MkII, which works flawlessly and is one of my most used VSTi.

I didn't contact you yet but, as it seems that I'm not the only one who got the problem (see the following link : B3 emulators in 2012), I would like to know if you could do something about it, as I really like what VB3 delivers.

My setup :

DAW : i870 - Asus P7P55D-E - 8 Gb DDR3 RAM - 2 x 1 Tb Black Caviar SATAII drives - Win 7/64 Pro | EMu 1616m PCIe + Behringer ADA8000
Soft : Cubase 6.0.4 | Emulator X3 | TruePianos | GSi VB3 + MrRay MkII | Alchemy | Sylenth1 | Arturia MMV | Jamstix...
Gear : VMK-188+ keyboard | Korg 05R/W | Roland D-110 | Yamaha TX-802 | Akai ME30P MIDI patchbay | ARP Odyssey | Korg MS20 | Zoom G9.2tt guitar board...

Thanks for any information.

P.S.: is there a 64 bits version planned in a more or less near future ?

Will keep you informed about any answer...
Old 9th March 2012
What version are you running? Are you sure this isn't the "nag noise protection"? You've paid for this and registered it properly?
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
What version are you running? Are you sure this isn't the "nag noise protection"? You've paid for this and registered it properly?
Yes I've paid for it and registered it properly. I've tried both v1.3 and 1.4.
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Yes I've paid for it and registered it properly. I've tried both v1.3 and 1.4.
So did I, using the 1.4 version... Just sent him a message (see my previous post again).
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'd happily pay for an x64 update too.

i can't believe NI didn't keep the B3 going.

MC
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I'd happily pay for an x64 update too.

i can't believe NI didn't keep the B3 going.

MC
I also had NI B4... It was a shock to see that they ditched it. Naively, I bought the 'Vintage organ' with K4 player, as I was stucked with the VB3 problem described above. Sorry to say that it isn't at the VB3 level, far from it...
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Try the VB3 using the Leslie in Amplitube 3.
Haven't tried that, but I think the Leslie in vb3 is AWESOME.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Not wanting to wander off topic, but its only natural that people on this thread would be interested in the best Vox conti plug out there ... and best of all is that it's free. I've just seen that he's released a new Farfisa which I've just downloaded and fired up ... more boyhood dreams about to come true! You could all be sharing the same joy in a few clicks (end of pseudohijack)

Combo Model V

Edit - ten minutes later going through Scarbee vintage keys, Valhalla room and quality compression ... ohhh, yes, it hits the spot for me
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Maniac

I just bought VB3. I needed an Organ in my tracks.
Just waiting on a license to get rid of that horrible static noise. I want to use it now!!
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks everyone for all the answers...it seems like VB3 is the clear winner.
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Any love for the Combo Model V ... I'm not affiliated and why would I be since it's free, but for any real organ-head, it's better than anything else I've ever come across in a lifetime of trying? Any other opinions welcome so others can search and see what they think (since we seem to have concluded which B3 emulation is best although I IMHO don't think the favorite is much better than logic's own plug - I reckon this is swayed by PC users who don't have the access - I think they're on a par roughly). Maybe I should have started a VOX Farfisa thread, but I think this is a fair enough place to raise the question
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Any love for the Combo Model V ... I'm not affiliated and why would I be since it's free, but for any real organ-head, it's better than anything else I've ever come across in a lifetime of trying? Any other opinions welcome so others can search and see what they think (since we seem to have concluded which B3 emulation is best although I IMHO don't think the favorite is much better than logic's own plug - I reckon this is swayed by PC users who don't have the access - I think they're on a par roughly). Maybe I should have started a VOX Farfisa thread, but I think this is a fair enough place to raise the question
I downloaded both the free organs and I have to say that they sound great. Between these and VB3 I have a wealth of colors now. Between the plugins in this thread and Pianoteq w/keys addon I'm all set now. Maybe a modeled bowed string synthesizer too if I find one that isn't $200.
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

Hi all,

I got a rather in-depth answer from Guido which came quickly yesterday afternoon. I won't retranscribe the whole mail, but here are the main points :

- he confirmed that he got another inquiry about this and the other report was describing Cubase crashing. In my case Cubase doesn't exactly crash but, after deleting the instrument track, you can't get a single sound from it anymore, no matter which instrument you try to use which means that I have to close Cubase and relaunch it. Stupidly, I forgot to precise this to him : my bad...

- He obviously read this thread and want to reassure VB3 users : he is working on a 2.0 version for this year and is even considering a 64 bits version after its release as a 32 bits one. These are great news for me, as I love the VSTis that he released until now and it seems that they have a future.

- He is unable to reproduce the problem despite having a lot of users working with Cubase also. As he now got two reports, he is going to try to work on it again. At this point, I think that the best thing to do is help him, somehow : I'm going to reply to him with my Cubase template project joined.

- He suggested a workaround : instead of loading VB3 in an instrument track, maybe it is better to load it from the VST instrument rack (F11) , without creating the MIDI track in the same process (this one should be created manually after, like we used to do in the SL/SX days), saying that not all plugins initialize correctly in an instrument track. I admit that I always use VB3 in an instrument track so this is, at least, worth experimenting.

So I'm going to reply to him with my bundled template project, hoping that he will find something useful in it. At this point, I must say that I'm quite happy about his attitude : he seems at least opened to consider the problem and quickly answered to my inquiry. Now, let's see what the future brings.

Cheers,
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Laho View Post
I downloaded both the free organs and I have to say that they sound great. Between these and VB3 I have a wealth of colors now. Between the plugins in this thread and Pianoteq w/keys addon I'm all set now. Maybe a modeled bowed string synthesizer too if I find one that isn't $200.
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Hi all,

I got a rather in-depth answer from Guido which came quickly yesterday afternoon. I won't retranscribe the whole mail, but here are the main points :

- he confirmed that he got another inquiry about this and the other report was describing Cubase crashing. In my case Cubase doesn't exactly crash but, after deleting the instrument track, you can't get a single sound from it anymore, no matter which instrument you try to use which means that I have to close Cubase and relaunch it. Stupidly, I forgot to precise this to him : my bad...

- He obviously read this thread and want to reassure VB3 users : he is working on a 2.0 version for this year and is even considering a 64 bits version after its release as a 32 bits one. These are great news for me, as I love the VSTis that he released until now and it seems that they have a future.

- He is unable to reproduce the problem despite having a lot of users working with Cubase also. As he now got two reports, he is going to try to work on it again. At this point, I think that the best thing to do is help him, somehow : I'm going to reply to him with my Cubase template project joined.

- He suggested a workaround : instead of loading VB3 in an instrument track, maybe it is better to load it from the VST instrument rack (F11) , without creating the MIDI track in the same process (this one should be created manually after, like we used to do in the SL/SX days), saying that not all plugins initialize correctly in an instrument track. I admit that I always use VB3 in an instrument track so this is, at least, worth experimenting.

So I'm going to reply to him with my bundled template project, hoping that he will find something useful in it. At this point, I must say that I'm quite happy about his attitude : he seems at least opened to consider the problem and quickly answered to my inquiry. Now, let's see what the future brings.

Cheers,
Great. I'm the other person that has reported this to Guido but I don't think I said it crashes Cubase. My problem is exactly the same as yours and it seems to be related to Cubase 6 32bit running on Windows 7 64bit?

The noise that appears sounds like the Leslie on steroids!?

Also the audio disappears like you mentioned!
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Not wanting to wander off topic, but its only natural that people on this thread would be interested in the best Vox conti plug out there ... and best of all is that it's free. I've just seen that he's released a new Farfisa which I've just downloaded and fired up ... more boyhood dreams about to come true! You could all be sharing the same joy in a few clicks (end of pseudohijack)

Combo Model V

Edit - ten minutes later going through Scarbee vintage keys, Valhalla room and quality compression ... ohhh, yes, it hits the spot for me

Got and tried them both and Hollow Sun's Vox Conti is better for me.
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Great. I'm the other person that has reported this to Guido but I don't think I said it crashes Cubase. My problem is exactly the same as yours and it seems to be related to Cubase 6 32bit running on Windows 7 64bit?

The noise that appears sounds like the Leslie on steroids!?

Also the audio disappears like you mentioned!
Hi, dickiefunk

No, the sound is more like an AC outlet hum at a high level and with more "harmonics" in it (if I can say so...). As it appears suddenly, like an organ depressed key, at very high level, it is quite traumatic. I put a limiter as insert on my main outputs, at least in the tracking stage, to avoid any harm either gear or audition related.

Beside this, I sent the 'culprit' template to Guido and he answered me twice today. It appears that everything is working as expected and he tried it both on Cubase 6.0.4 and 6.0.5, downloading and installing the latter for this. He seems at lost for a solution and quite anxious about the next version.

The problem is that the issue occurs suddenly from nowhere at any time, which could means after few hours of working on a project, but if I remember well, always after a rather significant amount of time, let's say after one hour. So, I begin to wonder if there could not be a memory problem, something like a leak which would be suddenly revealed this way. Another thing could be Cubase preferences corruption, but then why does the noise appear only onla VB3 track ? I don't know.

Cheers,

EDIT : perhaps you could send also to Guido a project which showed the issue. Who knows ? Guido might find something in common between the two that could give him a clue.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

The original NI B4 works perfectly fine in Cubase 64 bit here, FWIW, transparently with Steiny's built in automatic bridging.

I never warmed up to the VB3...always felt like a piece of beta code that sounds almost as good as the decade old NI code.

What's the legality of downloading Abandonware code?
Old 11th March 2012
PMF
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Have you contacted Guido about this!? I also have this same problem here on the exact same setup and VB3 is the only vsti that has this issue. I also have Mr Ray mkII and Mr Tramp mkII from the same company and neither of these have this issue!

I contacted Guido and he point blankly refused to accept that it was anything to do with VB3 and that it had to be my setup. He said I;m the only person to have this problem and that is that!!

This has made me quite mad because the company has refused to look into this further for me and I find it extremely poor customer support!!!!

I find it quite ridiculous that Guido says it must be something wrong with my setup despite all his other plugins working fine here!!
I had this problem too with some of the GSi plugins. As stated above, Mr Ray mkII always worked perfectly on my setup too. In the end I just put all of the soundfonts (legacy) Plungins in a seperate folder and attached them to jbridge. Since then I havent had any issues.

I'm using WIN-7 64bit, Cubase 6.05 32bit and Samp 11 on a Q9550+Asus P5QL-E.

Apart from the issues stated above these plugins sound really good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search