The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
B3 emulators in 2012
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Rather than going round and round talking about how these different B3 emulations sound I thought I'd just post some clips.

I did a quick version of Green Onions with all organs set to 888800000. The Vintage Organs and VB3 are using their own Leslie sims and the Hammr is using the Melda Vintage Rotary plugin.

To me the Hammr is not only more 'weighty' to play but has a more organic, 'real' sound than Vintage Organs and VB3.

My favourite sound though, and the one I use when I record, is the Hammr (and Melda Leslie) mixed with a bit of Premier Soundfactory's B3 Premier, which is a fully sampled Hammond and which adds a nice clicky key sound and a touch of warmth.

As ever, YMMV...
Attached Files

HAMMR +B3.mp3 (904.3 KB, 1181 views)

HAMMR.mp3 (904.3 KB, 1102 views)

VINTAGE ORGANS.mp3 (904.3 KB, 1113 views)

VB3.mp3 (904.3 KB, 1097 views)

Old 19th January 2015
Deleted User
Cool test, though it would be easier to make a comparison if they all went through the Melda Rotary. Even so, to my ears, your own test shows that the VB3 (and Vintage Organs) sound so much deeper and more real. But that's great that you prefer the Hammr - the guy that made it seems really cool and different people have different tastes which is part of what makes music so beautiful.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen_musician View Post
Try Hammr+ from Sound Dust. It's displaced both VB3 and Vintage Organs for me.
Use it with Melda Vintage Rotary for best results.
Looks like I missed a few posts here - that looks good and at the price a bit of a no brainer, going to have to take a look at that, so many thanks for heads up and the recordings above

To add my own 2p, I had mistakenly thought that Native Instrument's Vintage Organs was the same as the old NI instrument which I wasn't keen on as a modeller. Modelling never sounds right to me in any context, be it Pianoteq for piano, Lounge Lizard for electromechanical keys or EVB3 for organ. To my ears they never sound right and I know this is a deeply personal and subjective thing, but they just sound thin and lacking convincing body/texture to me. I have just tried out the New NI vintage organs (which is a range of sampled organ types with a lovely vox) and I think it's far better than anything else I've tried thus far (streets ahead of logic's organ and EVB3 to my ears). Sounds real and much closer to my old Nord IMHO and has finally sorted the dilemma I had about staying in the box for organ sounds. I can live with it very happily I think right now. Thank goodness ... now need to look at Hammr+ ...

Good to hear about the Melda Leslie also from you guys, I tried the recent PSP Leslie sim demo and wasn't sold - different to logic's emulator, but not better. I'm off to investigate this next and see if I can reach a new ITB organ nirvana (just loving the NI vox continental).
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

The Nord uses modelling for the organ AFAIK
For me it is the other way around , did not find a sampled one I like ,yet.
Old 3rd April 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosho View Post
Yeah, you really can't sample an organ. How would you change the drawbars, Leslie speed, etc., while playing.
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear

I read an article on working with in the studio Jimmy Smith... What jumped out at me was that Smith liked recording the Leslie in the normal manner; however, he would also insist on a direct out from the instrument...

I found that you can do the same thing in VB3... In your daw you'll have a normal stereo track and one mono dry track. Dialing in the mono direct track really drops the old balls and makes this VI sound bigger, thicker... Basically it makes it skins like a real instrument.

Not in front of the conputer, but the direct out setting is in the options menu near the bottom.

Dump a little of your favorite mojo plugs on top of this VI and no one will doubt that you played the real thing.
Old 17th August 2015
Lives for gear
Premier samples B3 sound fantastic. The best in my opinion. I went on a huge huge B3 hunt and have tried most of the others. I use a neo instruments as a Leslie though. Advantage of Premier is that it was all recorded on a live amp. Extremely hard to work and terrible instructions. Some of the Kontakt scripting is sloppy, u need a keyboard with midi sliders and some patience but the sound is really organic and amazing. Yes Neo Instruments Ventilator helps a lot. Quite expensive for all that but dirt cheap considering that this gets u really close.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Addict

Check these Logic patches. Great and cheap B3-in-a-box.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thought I would try to revive this thread (although it is several years old). If you are not aware, Guido and GSi released the VB3 II (version 2.0) last year in 2018. It is a major significant improvement over the "much older" version 1.4 and addresses/fixes all of the issues that caused the older version to be outdated, as well as the addition all new features. It is rock solid stable, runs great on Win10, and still retains the same great sound, overdrive, and harmonic characteristics that kept it in the forefront as best organ VST. [VB3II page at the GSi website]

GSi had already created a firmware version of 2.0 years ago which was released to and being used in the Crumar line of organs/keyboards. Many avid users of VB3 (as well as myself) had given-up hope that the long-awaited release of a VB3 version 2.0 would ever come out as an updated VST plug-in.

Crumar/GM Labs has also released a hardware MIDI controller to use with VB3 II called the D9X. It not only gives you 9 physical drawbars (like the previous D9U), but also gives you knobs and buttons to control the other VST parameters. It can also be used to control parameters on other VST plug-ins. The D9X can be purchased completely assembled, or if you are an electronics geek like me, you can order it unassembled as an electronics kit for a lower cost. [D9U and the D9X at the GM Lab website]
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosho View Post
Didn't see this response years ago - yes it's ironic for me really. I want a Nord quality VI still!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDSX View Post

Crumar/GM Labs has also released a hardware MIDI controller to use with VB3 II called the D9X. It not only gives you 9 physical drawbars (like the previous D9U), but also gives you knobs and buttons to control the other VST parameters. It can also be used to control parameters on other VST plug-ins. The D9X can be purchased completely assembled, or if you are an electronics geek like me, you can order it unassembled as an electronics kit for a lower cost. [D9U and the D9X at the GM Lab website]
Looks interesting, thanks
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

my favourite clone so far is the hx3 with a neo ventilator .
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDSX View Post
Thought I would try to revive this thread (although it is several years old). If you are not aware, Guido and GSi released the VB3 II (version 2.0) last year in 2018. It is a major significant improvement over the "much older" version 1.4 and addresses/fixes all of the issues that caused the older version to be outdated, as well as the addition all new features. It is rock solid stable, runs great on Win10, and still retains the same great sound, overdrive, and harmonic characteristics that kept it in the forefront as best organ VST. [VB3II page at the GSi website]

GSi had already created a firmware version of 2.0 years ago which was released to and being used in the Crumar line of organs/keyboards. Many avid users of VB3 (as well as myself) had given-up hope that the long-awaited release of a VB3 version 2.0 would ever come out as an updated VST plug-in.

Now, if I could just find a small, usb-powered waterfall keyboard to work out ideas when traveling with my laptop.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search