The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
B3 emulators in 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Head

Update: I just bought VB3, and it's INSANE. 100% recommended. I feel like I'm playing a real B3, which is a super hard thing to do.
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by protodan View Post
Update: I just bought VB3, and it's INSANE. 100% recommended. I feel like I'm playing a real B3, which is a super hard thing to do.
Glad you like it. My feeling was the same. Saved me about $4000 as I was looking at c3s with Leslie.
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

No Mac version, right?
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Addict

+1 on the VB3. It's definitely the most realistic.

I'd give second place to the Nord Organs - especially if you plug them into a real Leslie. I've been playing the C1 in the studio and live for about 4 years now and love it (I especially love the weight...or lack off as the case may be). I'm very tempted by the new C2D with drawbars - if only I had a spare £3000
Old 14th March 2012
Gax
Lives for gear

What you guys think about NI "Vintage Organs" for Kontakt?
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post
VB3 is much more accurate!
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
No Mac version, right?
YES there is a Mac version. Works Great in Logic but no so much in Pro Tools
with the wrapper. Strange though as the creator kind of comes off as anti-PT.
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
YES there is a Mac version. Works Great in Logic but no so much in Pro Tools
with the wrapper. Strange though as the creator kind of comes off as anti-PT.
You're right.
Talked to him & when mentioning if a PT version was coming out,
immediately & emphatically he simply said "no"!
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

FWIW you can use Reaper as a rewire slave and use the VST version of VB3 in Pro Tools.

It's a cheap solution for the Pro Tools folks.
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Maniac

+1 VB3.

I've been using VB3 for a year or two. Great realism, amazing for such a tiny program!

I find sampled B3's (i.e. NI's Vintage Keys') over-do aspects of the B3, especially the key click. I mean, seriously, have you listened to those demos??? What B3 clicks like that??? I know you can adjust the attack to get rid of that, but I would not want a softer attack just to lessen the click, I would just want less click.

VB3 has adjustments for details such as this. Very cool.

But I do feel it's not as meaty and rich and cutting as the real thing, and I have not found anything that can meet that rich, glassy thing a B3 does. However, BB3 remains the closest I have found.
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
o him with my Cubase template project joined.

- He suggested a workaround : instead of loading VB3 in an instrument track, maybe it is better to load it from the VST instrument rack (F11) , without creating the MIDI track in the same process (this one should be created manually after, like we used to do in the SL/SX days), saying that not all plugins initialize correctly in an instrument track. I admit that I always use VB3 in an instrument track so this is, at least, worth experimenting.

Cheers,
Interestingly, my VB3 crashes Cubase...totally WHEN I INSERTED IT IN F11. (Cubase 6.5.4 Mac VST) I mean I'm back to the 'do you want to relaunch" window.
I might have a go exactly opposite. I actually use Ivory in my template, not in F11, and it works perfectly there, and freezes a bit faster there. not sure why.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAWriter View Post
Interestingly, my VB3 crashes Cubase...totally WHEN I INSERTED IT IN F11. (Cubase 6.5.4 Mac VST) I mean I'm back to the 'do you want to relaunch" window.
I might have a go exactly opposite. I actually use Ivory in my template, not in F11, and it works perfectly there, and freezes a bit faster there. not sure why.
I've also had issues with VB3 and Cubase. I emailed the dev about this and he said it doesn't happen on his system so it MUST be something I'm doing wrong!??
I have never encountered any problems with my other vsti's but when I sometimes load VB3 it emmits a terrible whining noise and the Cubase meters max out. On some other projects VB3 kills all audio output from Cubase when it loads!?
Sometimes VB3 works fine but it seems to be pretty unstable here.

This is a great shame as it is hands down the best Hammond B3 emulator I've encountered!!
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

just came along this interesting emulation tactics.. software build in hardware ..

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epage...ectID=23822884

Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post
I just want to throw this out there.

I generally like a bit of B3 vibe in almost every mix. I think it just gives a song a legit rock sound and the listener may not even know why.

I bought B4 in 2005, and used it on everything for years until it's demise.

Since then I've bounced back and forth between VB3, NI Vintage and when appropriate, Mellotron B3 samples (my true love but can be a bit much.)

Then my band's last album was recorded at Sylvia Massy's RadioStar where she has the real deal in a massive art deco theater with room mics 20 feet away. Of course I put waay too much on every song but it sounded amazing. Although admittedly with VIs I cheat and use a sustain pedal so that was a biatch. Hats off to real organists. (Plus her Leslie switch was... aloof to say the least)

Over the course of the last decade of using using various versions of the B3 as a secondary, low in the mix barely audible augmentation to almost every song... in my home studio I now generally use...

NI Vintage Organs

For my purposes it makes the song feel most like the real deal low in the mix to me. I'm sure real players prefer the expressiveness of VB3 but to me after switching out several versions in a mix the end product always feels right with NI.
Old 2nd May 2013
Here for the gear

experience

Reading the thread, I have to comment. I am a new member, but have read this site many times for information, as directed by my browser.

I needed a great B3 emulation (and a Rhodes as well). I actually own a B3 and a Rhodes, but have been trying to ween our keyboard player off of them and onto stage equipment that we can realistically move from place to place.

I purchased the VB3 and the MrRay instruments for my Apple-based systems. Using all my virtual instruments mostly real-time in MainStage 2, although a bit in Logic 9.

Both MrRay and VB3 had (different) issues, but it rendered them unusable. All of my other Audiounits instruments work perfectly. There are no other issues on this computer with any other software. I contacted the company, and the issues were not resolved. I was told that they work fine everywhere else. In the end, I erased both from my computer. I did not want to use something, for which I was no longer willing to pay.

My contribution to the thread, is that the Native Instruments Vintage Organ (Kontakt Player) is working well and sounds quite similar to my late 1960's Hammond B3 and its Leslie. That said, I had to first remove a bit of the growl/overdrive. It was aggressive, but not entirely representative of the real B3 in the same setting.
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Just bumping this thread inline with it's Rhodes sister thread Best sampled Rhodes today? since there are some good new alternatives there, but things seem to have been stagnant in the hammond world. I've been using EVB3 in logic for many years and I've tried GSI and NI stuff, but for me none of it comes quite close enough to my old Nord Stage and the hammond emulation is the only thing that would send me back to hardware. Has anyone come across anything in software that they reckon beats the usual (old) suspects in 2015?
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Try Hammr+ from Sound Dust. It's displaced both VB3 and Vintage Organs for me.
Use it with Melda Vintage Rotary for best results.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Looks awesome!!! Just wish I could buy it for the free Kontakt player! :-(
Old 6th January 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen_musician View Post
Try Hammr+ from Sound Dust. It's displaced both VB3 and Vintage Organs for me.
Use it with Melda Vintage Rotary for best results.
Hammer is really cool but I found vb3 is still much more capable and models the real thing more deeply. Agreed on the melda plug-in for either and an amp or distortion plug-in.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Looks awesome!!! Just wish I could buy it for the free Kontakt player! :-(
Are you aware that you can just download the free Kontakt player from NI?
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Are you aware that you can just download the free Kontakt player from NI?
Quote:
The Hammr+ is a downloadable Kontakt instrument that works in the FULL version of Kontakt 4.2.4 and above.
It will load into Player but time out after 10 minutes, so please don't buy this if you are using Kontakt Player.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, only for the full version unfortunately. I'd love it, but not enough to justify going full Kontakt at the moment.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Also the VB3 is now x64 , I hadn't realised until recently and it's now back in my VI collection :D

MC
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Is that still only for Windows with the 64bit?
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Maniac

My fave b3 /orgn plug is UVI retro organs ..., I like it better than the N.I Vintage organs
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Maniac

My view is that whilst the VB3 is easy to use and endlessly customisable, it lacks weight. Hammonds have a real heft to them - and whilst VB3 is an awesome bit of programming, light on CPU and super user-friendly, it's too electronic-y, too thin, too weedy to properly convey that mixture of heavy wood and warm valves.
Old 8th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
My fave b3 /orgn plug is UVI retro organs ..., I like it better than the scarbee
Well, I hope you would, considering Scarbee doesn't have a B3 instrument...
Old 8th January 2015
Lives for gear
NI B4 is great, and I have a pristine C3 and Leslie 122 at my studio. I still use B4 a lot of times when I have to play a part myself without anyone to run the board.
Old 8th January 2015
Lives for gear

You just can't fake / properly emulate a real Leslie and the dopler effects it produces moving air in a room. Any comparison to the real thing shows how bad the emulations are.

As for producing the Hammond part of it, the best I've ever used short of the real thing is the Voce V3 analog rack module. Being analog it has no latency and it's sound has balls.

As for computer virtual instruments, VB3 is the best of the many I have tried (still nowhere close to the Voce and some other hardware clones).
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Well, I hope you would, considering Scarbee doesn't have a B3 instrument
?

Native Instruments (my bad)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search