The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what are your fav software VST or DX compressors Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

what are your fav software VST or DX compressors

what are your fav software VST or DX compressors
i like the gco-1 it nice not sure about high end but analog modeled 4 sure and very flexible. post yours
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

oh and yes i'm aware that most hardware compressors are better.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Vanilla comp is impressive - it's still beta freeware with no GUI, so grab it while you can. Clean, transient preserving.

If you want dirty, DigitalFishPhones BlockFish.

Voxengo Marquis is probably about as good as software compression gets.

If you want an expensive temporary hardware solution with all the hassels of software, the UAD-1 card and plugins is supposed to be good, but I think you would be far better off investing in hardware analog compression for before your A/D converters.
Old 15th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

I used to use this one - ultrafunk fx compressor and it had some vintage presets like la2a and 33609 that were pretty cool. Crunchy, but cool for some particular sounds. I think it was dx and vst.
Old 15th May 2006
pan
Lives for gear

PSP Mixpressor gets a fair amount of use on busses here...

BlockFish for sound...

RenComp on Vox.

Lately it's been some Nomad "LA2A" kind of thing... don'T remember the name.

Heard UAD on other rigs - you really can't go wrong with them as far as software!

But still Hardware for the real smack or nukeing;-)
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

PSP MasterComp for the whole mix. The MixPack for tracks.
For tracks or the whole mix, Voxengo Marquis. Also demo Neodynium by Elemental Audio.
(Waiting for the obligatory comment on plug-ins and the High End forum...)
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Come on man.... this is the HIGH END forum..... plugins????
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_c
Chuck Ainlay is high end. He uses constantly the UAD-1 LA2A and Fairchild comps a lot.

I qoute: "Compression has got to be the most difficult area of mixing. It can add greatly to the sound of an instrument or distroy it completely. Every compressor works differently and the decision of which compressor to use for the job takes years of experience. I've got my fovorite compressors that I use like the GML 8900 for vocals or UA 1176's on my kick and snare mult but the SSL 9000j compressors are wonderful in general. I will use some amount of compression on just about every track and with some things like drums and vocals I'll even do submixes or mults and use extreme compresion, that I mix back in with the original track. I tend to use plugin compressors for the more hard core stuff where I'm looking to create an effect. That said, the UA plug ins are some pretty good emulations of the original. If you don't have a Fairchild (and I don't) they really do the job. I will generally use my real 1176's or LA 2a first but the UA stuff, amazingly, is very close."

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9870

Plugs can and do sound high end. C'mon guys - these are tools. Stop the snobbery!

Paul Blenn
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, man, are you stoned yet?

Yeah, it seems the snobbery exists mostly in online forums. By the time you get to an actual studio, it seems tools are tools and whatever gets the job done will be the tool of choice that day.

Fo' shizzle check out the PSP mixpressor and the PSP Vintage Warmer. The prices are good, too.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Plllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... certainley I'm not only on this but even if I am this ain't HIGH END. I'm not trying to be a snob at all. There are much better places for this post that's all. Even with the title he is anticipating getting reamed for posting in this section. Why not just post in the "too much gear...." section?

Again, not trying to be a snob and/or prick but when I view the "High End" forum I want to read about 'high end' gear not software plugins....
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn
Chuck Ainlay is high end. He uses constantly the UAD-1 LA2A and Fairchild comps a lot.

Wonderfull, so do I but I don't discuss them in the 'High End' section. Just follow the forum rules man. Run a LA-2A or Fairchild plug and the original hardware unit side by side and tell me if you still think they "sound high end". Your post is cool but it's just in the wrong section. Sorry for the soap box but I've just been getting annoyed lately with all the non high end posts showing up here. tutt
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

so what determines high end?

price alone? and who determines what high end is?? the guy with studios full of gear, or Joe Snuffy the blue collar weekend warrior engineer?

Snobbery is silly. If a post bothers you, then dont read it, and certainly dont waste any more time of your day writing a snarky response.

Now it isnt as if you have to physically get up and move to another thread. All you have to do is move and click a mouse.

Semantics...stuff that doesnt matter. To some plugins ARE expensive/high end. Algorithmix for example, to me is pricey..Cedar too.
Old 15th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

High end on your DAW :

Sony Oxford Dynamics
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wonderfull, so do I but I don't discuss them in the 'High End' section. Just follow the forum rules man. Run a LA-2A or Fairchild plug and the original hardware unit side by side and tell me if you still think they "sound high end". Your post is cool but it's just in the wrong section. Sorry for the soap box but I've just been getting annoyed lately with all the non high end posts showing up here. tutt
The best point of many plug-ins is that you can get them (if you wish) at almost no cost.
I have (and that's what I begun with) hundreds of plug-ins, 90% free of charge from my friends hackers (that's why I have them so much), but also UADs, Powercores and some other that I paid in full. I never, ever wrote anything about them on Gearslutz. They are great toys, but they miss a lot of real mojo.

KVR is place for that, I'm there, too, but very rare.
Sorry, but the best high-end plug-in is just 2D shadow of real vari-mu or whatever great compressor box.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
The best point of many plug-ins is that you can get them (if you wish) at almost no cost.
I have (and that's what I begun with) hundreds of plug-ins, 90% free of charge from my friends hackers (that's why I have them so much), but also UADs, Powercores and some other that I paid in full. I never, ever wrote anything about them on Gearslutz. They are great toys, but they miss a lot of real mojo.

KVR is place for that, I'm there, too, but very rare.
Sorry, but the best high-end plug-in is just 2D shadow of real vari-mu or whatever great compressor box.
so they are illegal? and talking about illegal acquisition here serves what purpose exactly? Probably doesnt help in the "Professional" department.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

isn't this what the Music & Computers section of the forum is for?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
isn't this what the Music & Computers section of the forum is for?
Thank you!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
so they are illegal? and talking about illegal acquisition here serves what purpose exactly? Probably doesnt help in the "Professional" department.
Illegal acquisition is whole another issue that is definitely not part of this thread or even gear forum after all.
A thought was about advantage that after using warez for a while (what is not exact as free trial period with limited functions etc.) in 95% of cases (at least related to compressor plug-ins) I throw them to garbage being calm of non-suffering any loss. Should I feel guilty You must be kidding

I was happy to buy (and use) Algoritmix EQs, Sony EQs, some reverbs UAD and Access synths and those are some of the most expensive plug-ins on the market.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Illegal acquisition is whole another issue that is definitely not part of this thread or even gear forum after all.
A thought was about advantage that after using warez for a while (what is not exact as free trial period with limited functions etc.) in 95% of cases (at least related to compressor plug-ins) I throw them to garbage being calm of non-suffering any loss. Should I feel guilty You must be kidding

I was happy to buy (and use) Algoritmix EQs, Sony EQs, some reverbs UAD and Access synths and those are some of the most expensive plug-ins on the market.

well, since you boasted about the fact that you were using illegal plugs, I think you have made it part of this forum. I personally dont care how many things youve bought, it doesnt make you stealing(yes, stealing!) the other plugins any less despicable or less of a crime. Should you feel guilty? I dont give a continental damn if you feel guilty or not. You are guilty, and that behaviour is unprofessional, and criminal. Period. End of story.
Old 15th May 2006
jiiiiiii-whaaaaa
off we go.....
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

back to the original post,

I'm big on the UAD stuff... mostly the LA2A, 1176N, Fairchild on busses.

RENComp is doing cool things

URS stuff is a whole new dimension for plugs for my stuff.

Sonalskis is great when needed... the multi band stuff just works!

I've been using the TRSaturated Tube lately on a lot of things lately and best of all, it's a free-bie!!!! Same a the SSL free bie... man as if they give it away!

uhhhh what else do I use, RVox when needed agression on vox.

Magneto tape simulator.

Nuendo multi band compressor for cool unique sounds.

There are a lot of plugins I use with the outboard gear... if used properly, they can both help each other out.

Jason
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think there is some amazing ignorance about plugins being demonstrated here ...

DSP is part of high end audio - has been since the 70's. The noisy digital hardware boxes of the '80's are still considered high end. The fact that DSP can now be run on computers, at much higher bit depths and sampling rates, means that plugins are fully capably of high end sound for some applications, and it is just petty snobbery to suggest otherwise.

A hacker is not a cracker. No reasonable human beings approve of theft, and I can't see that anybody here has even suggested using cracked copies of commercial software.

The fact is, hackers are the enthusiasts who are breaking new ground with new dsp codes, and often they release freeware versions of exciting new dsp effects. Not everyone involved in audio dsp is intent on making money.

So it is completely possible to obtain, legally and freely, certain plugins that offer true high end sound, for no cost.

Does that disturb you? Maybe this "high end" thread should be renamed "Esoterically priced status symbols for pretentious ******s"? Just to make it clear to everyone?

My personal understand of "high end" is simply "Superior audio - regardless of how the hell you get there". Maybe i'm confused.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

BTW - copied from the high end moderators sticky:

Quote:
1. High End stands more then anything for high quality. High quality gear and high quality people. Simple as that really.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't agree. Sorry.

There's a revolution happening .. haven't you heard? In shootouts no one can tell the difference. Top productions are being made using plugs. Some "re-mastered" releases are nothing more than digitally cleaned up.

I love analog as much as anyone but to say plugs dont even compete is just.. narrowminded
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

blockfish is excellent. Also I pump the tracks through the BBE Maximizer and into a compressor, nice sound.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob
oh and yes i'm aware that most hardware compressors are better.
you headed that off at the pass nicely!
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:

HUH? On my computer this IS the music and computers forum; not the high end forum.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
well, since you boasted about the fact that you were using illegal plugs, I think you have made it part of this forum. I personally dont care how many things youve bought, it doesnt make you stealing(yes, stealing!) the other plugins any less despicable or less of a crime. Should you feel guilty? I dont give a continental damn if you feel guilty or not. You are guilty, and that behaviour is unprofessional, and criminal. Period. End of story.
YOU HAVE GIVEN PEOPLE ILLEGAL SOFTWARE. I know this for a fact. Please shut up now. You are guilty of of criminal behaviour and talking out of your ass.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

ok...back to compressors.....i love the following:

UAD fairchild
UAD 1176ln
UAD La2a
PSP Vintage Warmer
URS 1970
Sony Oxford Dynamics

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger

Does that disturb you? Maybe this "high end" thread should be renamed "Esoterically priced status symbols for pretentious ******s"? Just to make it clear to everyone?

My personal understand of "high end" is simply "Superior audio - regardless of how the hell you get there". Maybe i'm confused.
this was the funniest thing i read all day!! awesome!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search