The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Newbie
Old 14th May 2006
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Mac Newbie

Hello Group!

I'm having a very bad experience with PT LE and Windows XP so a few months ago I ran out and picked up a Mac but it was the new G5 Intel IMac, I have been waiting for the update (which seem's like forever!) only to find out that it has been pushed back til the end of this month...I'm thinking maybe I should sell or trade the Intel mac and pick up the 20' G5 2.1GHz IMac so I can atleast get to work...My question is will the be a good idea to do this or wait for the digidesign 7.1.1 update?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 14th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 

definitely wait until Digi finally comes through with their update. In terms of native processing power, your Intel hardware Mac is far superior to the previous G5 iMac's. You have 2 cores running at faster speeds, at cooler temps, consuming less power, larger L2 cache, and faster bus if I remember correctly. Once all of the developers get caught up with coding for universal binaries, I think that native Mac systems with Intel CPU's will be pretty promising. My $0.02
Old 15th May 2006
  #3
I'm thinking what you really have is either an 'old' G5 iMac or one of the new Intel-powered iMac Core Duo models:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...61EE&nclm=iMac


Now, that new 20" iMac at Apple is NOT a G5 (which was a PowerPC chip from IBM) but rather a Core Duo (the dual core Intel chip that is the latest in the same lineage as the popular and highly efficient Pentium M chip.)


But what do I know?

I'm just a dumb Windows user.
Old 15th May 2006
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Saccs
Hello Group!

I'm having a very bad experience with PT LE and Windows XP so a few months ago I ran out and picked up a Mac but it was the new G5 Intel IMac, I have been waiting for the update (which seem's like forever!) only to find out that it has been pushed back til the end of this month...I'm thinking maybe I should sell or trade the Intel mac and pick up the 20' G5 2.1GHz IMac so I can atleast get to work...My question is will the be a good idea to do this or wait for the digidesign 7.1.1 update?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I'd wait at this point, its only 2-3 more weeks. If you need to work you can install an Win XP partition on your Imac and use PT LE. If you have a Win XP SP2 disk around you could try it.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Thanks guys for all the advice.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump