The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie ? RE: converters and DP/002.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Newbie ? RE: converters and DP/002.

I am considering dumping my old Roland recorder and getting into a DAW.
My considerations are Digital Performer or a 002. I'm leaning towards the 002 mixer for it's compactness and integration. However, I've been advised to purchase better converters. My main concern is getting the best sound quality at this level on a limited budget. Any advice for experienced users is appreciated.

What converters are suggested for this purpose:
- Rosetta 800?
- Black Lion Audio mod to 002?
- Mytek?
- Lavry?

Which is better?

I'm not as interested in doing 192K. Up to 96K would be fine.
4 to 8 channels could work.
Hate to say this but I'm not exactly clear how these converters would interface with an exisiting piece of hardware such as the 002.

Thanks
Old 14th May 2006
You would interface through the digital I/O of the 002 (or whatever interface you choose which essentially bypasses the converters of the main unit.

If you are going to be mixing ITB then I would suggest going with a setup like the following:

Nuendo 3
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES-16

That'll give you 8 channels of digital i/o, and 8 channels of analog i/o. Nuendo is the software of course so that's completely optional (but in my opinion one of the best options out there). With this setup you can choose to run any software you wish and aren't tied to Digidesign's limitations with ProTools LE.

Also get something like the MOTU Midi Express 128 which hooks up via USB and you'll be all set. From there you just need a few mic-pre's and mics and you're ready to record.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I tried to pm you but you dont seem to be set up for that.

What i have to say will get me flamed.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
I tried to pm you but you dont seem to be set up for that.

What i have to say will get me flamed.
Try now.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

I'm not as interested in doing 192K. Up to 96K would be fine.
4 to 8 channels could work.
Hate to say this but I'm not exactly clear how these converters would interface with an exisiting piece of hardware such as the 002.
I use the Rosetta 800/Digi 002 rack solution. Works great for me, but you should know that the 002 will only allow you to record thru the 800 up to 48kHz/24bits since they communicate thru the ADAT protocol.

If you really wanna record up to 96kHz, try something like Cubase and a Rosetta 800 with an X-Firewire card.

There certainly are a good number of guys recording at 96, but I think the large majority are still at 44.1/24. Horses for courses.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search