The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
aiff file nightmare...
Old 3rd March 2012
Here for the gear

aiff file nightmare...

I'm on a Mac.

This relates to a general problem with corrupt aiff files,

but it may pertain to my use of Tracktion...

You know, I've always been the overly safe sort. I'm always double backed up at least every week. Tend not to update my OS until all the kinks have been worked out etc. But... the most henious problem has occurred, which leads me to believe all the music I've recorded for the last 10 years is now corrupt and useless.

So I'd been using tracktion, the mackie recording software for tracking. Why? Because it was cheap and simple. I'm a musician who records my own stuff, and gets other people to mix and master. I'm pretty successful with my own cottage industry, and have a pretty popular little jazz band here in the bay area.

So I'd been using tracktion for about 10 years, when a year ago suddenly I recorded a session, only to find that something strange happened to the session whereby tracktion wasn't reading the sample rate from the files correctly, like they would sound too fast or too slow. I never figured it out. I kept trying to vary the sample rate in tracktion, and never quite got to the end of the problem, and was then just sucked into various other projects, and moved on from tracktion out of frustration, and now use Logic Pro.

Well anyway, somewhere along the way, I went back to my archives on an external (tried the multiple externals to which they're backed up actually), and found that every single aiff file in every one of these projects going back 10 years now sounds like pure white noise. No this is not the small amount added by the demo of tracktion 3, this is a solid white brick. I contacted the support for Tracktion, and they were no help. I have imported these files into logic, and played them with quick time pro, and in iTunes to no avail. I've tried opening them on a machines with older operating systems; I have 10.7, I've tried 10.6, 10.5 and 10.4.

Some of the project aiffs are corrupt that I never once opened up for years, but now suddenly sound like white noise.

It might have coincided with my updating to Lion (10.7). My only theory is that somehow the metadata in the aiffs was somehow automatically updated with a change in OS, and this somehow corrupted the files. That or a virus? I really am grasping at straws here.

It's not a misreading of the sample rate, because that should just result in it sounding too fast or slow, right? Any theories out there?
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

when looking at the files in another DAW, can you see transient material that a normal audio file would contain? or does the white noise correlate to what you are visually seeing in the audio file?

oto
Old 3rd March 2012
Apple changed the byte order of their AIFF files when they switched to Intel processors -- it sounds like yours are playing back with the wrong byte order

Rail
Old 3rd March 2012
try converting it to another format and testing the playback
Old 12th August 2014
Here for the gear

Any solution found? I am having the same issue

Any help would be appreciated! I am having the same issue with my old band tracks. All takes are corrupt and only the mp3's are playing fine. I have heard of the new bite order from Apple but haven't found a solution to fix them. I've been downloading and trying several applications with no luck. Please help.

Thanks
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Guru

offhand I can think of two options to try. try Audacity. use it's import file section.
I'd also get something like an 8GIG Thumb drive. you can try formatting it in
older schemes as well if you liked.

this way you are less worried about operating on files on any major media drives.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
Old 13th March 2016
Here for the gear

I know this thread is a bit old/dead, but I've had the hardest time trying to search for an actual fix for this issue. I had audio on an old G4 Mac and am getting a wall of white noise with the files on the intel mac mini. Although somewhat labor intensive, I found that the Sound Hack app (freeware) actually worked. Here are instructions and a link: http://www.kliklak.net/blog/recover-...d-audio-on-mac
The article uses stereo files as an example, but it worked like a charm on my 48kHz 24 bit mono files.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search