The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Here Uses KVM Switchs
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Who Here Uses KVM Switchs

Can someone reccomand me a good one for the digital music studio like one with extra firewire ports and extra USB ports and etc..
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I´m using a KVM from D-Link that has one USB 2.0 port.

The KVM works very well but I never use the USB port in that one because my PC´s don´t like to unmount USB´s in the way the switch does.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Don't know about ones with usb and/or firewire, but I have 2 of the 'brand' eQuip. One analog, one digital. The digital is great and doesn't suck video signal, but my Kensington trackball with extra buttons isn't recognised through it so I still use the analog one as extension cable and have two mice

Herwig
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

I have an IOGear MiniView III, model GCS-1714 that switches VGA and USB between a couple macs and a PC.

I do NOT recommend this particular model, it has been plauged by occasional hangs (doesn't pass usb signals, won't switch via buttons on the front until you powercycle) and more maddeningly iit occassionallyy doublees uup keysttrokkes.

Does the same whether its pointing to a Mac or PC, so it's definitely in the KVM and IOGear has been completely unresponsive, their only suggestion being to buy one of their newer KVMs.

YMMV, of course but I would definitely stay away from at least this particular model of IOGear KVM.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have 2 different KVMs. an IOGear and I think the other is a Belkin. No problems with either, and I'm using them dual platform. both have extra USB, but no FW - haven't seen any w/ firewire and are you sure you want that? I know there's no problem switching on a PC, but you can't dismount FW drive like that on a MAC w/out screwing up the drive - assuming you're using a drive, I guess a DVD/CD drive would be OK in that manner.
One note, get a switcher that allows you to switch via the keyboard with key functions. I had an old one a long time ago that I had to switch from the unit - really sucked.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

iogear working here
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

The D-Link allows you to switch with the keyboard. It´s quite usefull and works great as I said before. There are times when you "loose" the mouse but can bring it back again with a couple of key commands.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

KVM are a blast from the past, you can remote control a Windows machine from another one via LAN, ethernet, wireless or other connection.
it´s on acessories\comunications.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

logitech and MS trackballs?

Wonder if the IOGear(saw one at Walmart)would work OK with these?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

stag please explain..im using vnc but its slow ant not so usable....
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

in my experience, vnc is good for some things. i still prefer the kvm, though...
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use FireWire LAN(FireNet) to run FX teleport and to remote control other PC regular 100mg\s. LAN.
I got a pleasant experience this way.
it´s easy to remote control a machine, you need a LAN cable, wireless will do for sure too. You need also the name of the machine you want to connect, and the name and password of an account on the machine you want to control.

Then on Start Menu\Accessories\Comunications you have a litle application that help to set a connection, once established the desktop of the remote PC appears on the machine you are working on, you may run apps and manage files on the remote machine the same way on the controller machine, depending on the speed of the connection you´ll have more functions and features available. I´d say 100 megs is allrigth.

Off course KVM are cool on some situation were two or more PC`s share keyboard, mouse and Monitor... well, the kids PC and mine but bettwen machines
i want to run simultaneously remote control suites me better.

Bye.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search