The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
We bought a nucleus.
Old 16th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"I noticed (for some odd reason) there seems to be SSL haters out there, for no apparent reason. I actually read a negative customer review of Nucleus on a web merchant website from someone who hadn’t even bought one (???). Who leaves a review for a product they never owned? That’s just plain hilarious." - chrisbowmusic

I don't know, maybe the same type of person that's posts to hype something they've never owned...?
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Ok $5,200 USD at most dealers,in the US,I can't even imagine how laughably more expensive it is in Oz land,and the interface side is apparently woeful,as in not stable enough to even keep a rating on TAFKAT's LLP Database.
Old 18th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion View Post
Yes. You don't think that's a rip? I like how you rationalized it, but you still got hosed.

Total cost of the nucleus to build is probably <$1,000 from SSL
My point is, if i need all of those things anyway i might as well get one piece of gear that does it all and save a few hundred bucks. I don't get why is that so hard for you to understand.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I hope you enjoy and didn't buy it for the preamps! It's a controller like any other, nothing much special... uses the Mackie protocol.
What kinda GS answer is this?

Let us know what new stuff you buy so we can make you feel like ****.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I visited SSL headquarters last year where I demoed various SSL products including the Nucleus. I have to say that I was impressed with the build quality, the looks and ergonomics of the Nucleus.

The sound card was also very good and the Mic Pre's were very clean and transparent. The only reason I didn't purchase the Nucleus because I decided on going down the HD Native route with an Omni and Command 8 controller.

However, I would have definitely purchased the Nucleus if I didn't go down the PT HD route.

The Nucleus is an excellent choice IMO.
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
For instance the build quality. The Nucleus feels like high end gear. The Mackie feels (and looks) like a toy.
The Mackie does not feel and look like a toy. The newer models faders are smoother and look much better than the Nucleus with those wack caps. To my friend that was complaining about the caps, just change them out. I think SSL as well as Avid sells them? I use to have a Command 8 and swapped the caps out. Yes Mackies do have their problems , like the back light dimming out, but other than that they are rock solid too. SSL should have come out with an expander or a 24 channel version and if not, lower that crazy price by a stack ($1000) for this version.
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymike View Post
I do not know what mackies you are referring to, but my Mackie MCU Pro's (1-main, 3-xtenders) Do not either look nor feel like toys. They do, however, feel solid-the term "built like a tank comes to mind"-and, I personally think, they look great.
Yes, I agree!
📝 Reply