The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW I/O card with four channels of AES ?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

DAW I/O card with four channels of AES ?

What's the easiest, most affordable card for getting four channels of AES dig audio into a DAW? I'll be using an RME MADI card and a multichannel MADI to analog converter for analog mixdown OUT of the DAW, but my A/D converters are AES only and the RME card has no AES inputs so I need a separate interface to track INTO the DAW. I know that RME also makes an AES I/O card, but it's 16 channels in & out which is way more inputs than I need (and I don't need any of the AES outs at all). Who makes a simple four channel AES I/O card?

DP
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

the RME ADI-642 would give you 4 AES to MADI then you could do everything with the one card.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Aussie Tech. I had thought about something like that, converting the AES to MADI & using only the one MADI card, but I haven't found any way to do that that would save any money. The ADI-642 is about US$2400 which is about three times the price of their 16 channel AES card. I'm surprised that it's been so hard to find a product that provides four channels of AES I/O.

BTW, if anybody knows of a card with two stereo S/Pdifs instead of AES I/O I could use that instead.

DP
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

AES I/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck
What's the easiest, most affordable card for getting four channels of AES dig audio into a DAW? I'll be using an RME MADI card and a multichannel MADI to analog converter for analog mixdown OUT of the DAW, but my A/D converters are AES only and the RME card has no AES inputs so I need a separate interface to track INTO the DAW. I know that RME also makes an AES I/O card, but it's 16 channels in & out which is way more inputs than I need (and I don't need any of the AES outs at all). Who makes a simple four channel AES I/O card?

DP
Dave, You need to buy my spare Lynx AES-16, see the "gear for sale" section.

Up to 16 tracks of digital I/O via AES/EBU at up to 192 sample rate.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Limey222 / Michael,

I PM'd you.

DP
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck
The ADI-642 is about US$2400
holy ...
none of that kind of stuff is cheep but i had no idea it would be that expencive
be carefull that other brands cards dont conflict. can your software use multiple cards? and you will also need to sync them.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
be carefull that other brands cards dont conflict. can your software use multiple cards? and you will also need to sync them.
Yeah, that's the trick... compatability. So far, the only thing I know will work with the RME MADI card is the new RME 16 channel AES I/O card:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/madi/hdspaes32.htm

It uses the same drivers as their MADI card and all the I/O ports for both cards just appear all together in one drop-down list in Sonar, so it's real simple. But it's US$800 and just a lot more AES I/O than I need. Hmm.

DP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search