The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on How To Upgrade my PowerBook?
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thoughts on How To Upgrade my PowerBook?

I am upgrading both the internal hard drive (40 Gig 5400 to a 100 GB 7200) and OS (Panther to Tiger) on my PowerBook G4 12” Aluminum. My question is, what is the best way to do this. Do I install the new drive then clean install the original OS, then Tiger then get all the files (applications and Documents) off the original drive? Or files then Tiger? Or do I install the new drive then clean install the Tiger OS then copy the files from the old drive? Or is there any reason to carbon copy clone the old drive to the new drive before installing it into the computer then upgrading the OS?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Here is what I did...and would be my recommendation.

- Buy the new 100GB 7200RPM drive.
- Buy an empty 2.5" firewire drive enclosure for laptop sized harddrives.
www.macsales.com has a good one.
- Buy or use a disk cloning program. I highly recommend SuperDuper.
www.shirtpocket.com

***For new completely fresh OS Tiger install...do the following.

1. Open the laptop. Take old drive out, and install new 100GB drive. Put old laptop drive in your external case.
2. Boot computer (with new 100GB drive) holding the C key with the Tiger install disc in the CD drive.
3. Use Disk Utility on the install CD to format the 100GB drive for the MAC OS.
4. Install Tiger OS on new drive.
5. Before starting the computer for the first time, attach external firewire case containing the old firewire drive.
6. Boot computer for the first time under new install of Tiger...use the startup procedure's migration utility to migrate all of your old programs and such from the external firewire drive onto your new laptop.
7. Wah Lah...you should be done. You now have a laptop running a fresh install of Tiger and you have a very handy, small, portable firewire drive that only cost you $30+ for the empty case. Repair permissions for good measure and enjoy.

***If you want to just use the Tiger upgrade procedure you can simply do the following.

1. Put new 100GB drive into external firewire case.
2. Format the firewire drive using Disk Utility. Then, Use SuperDuper to clone existing laptop drive to new 100GB drive in firewire case. When done, Shut off both laptop and firewire drive.
3. Switch drives. Take out the 100GB drive you just put into the firewire case with the cloned information...and put it in your laptop...Put laptop drive in firewire case.
4. Restart laptop and you should have a running clone of your old system...only now on a 100GB, 7200 RPM drive.
5. Use Tiger disk to upgrade OS. Repair permissions.
6. Attach firewire drive. Use Disk utility to erase firewire drive which has your old data.
7. Wah Lah...you should be done. You now have a laptop running an upgraded install of Tiger and you have a very handy, small, portable firewire drive that only cost you $30+ for the empty case.

Regardless, with both procedures, your programs will work, but may or may not need reauthorizing with your serial nuimbers, etc...Changing the harddrive is a major hardware change that will usually cause a program's serial number to need to be re-entered.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Guru

I recently did this and I did the second version, kind of. I removed the internal drive and put it in an external enclosure. I also cloned it. I put a new drive in. I cloned the the original, now external drive to the new internal one. Then I used the Tiger install disk which transfered my stuff from Panther (the old) to Tiger (the new).

Viola!

Migration Assistant probably works as well and as a step or two less.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Brian,

I did as you suggested and it worked out great!

Thanks,
Brian
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

don't forget you can also upgrade RAM.

and do some tweaks with the software side, optimize your mac. see this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/67882-mac-tweaks.html

this is how i look at it: you spend good money for your computer. if you don't optimize to its best abilities, you're not using the most out of the money you spent. bang for buck.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

How's the noise level on the 7200 in the PB?
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings
How's the noise level on the 7200 in the PB?
not bad at all. the only time i really hear it is when the heads stop (that little squeaky noise).. but i have set my HD to never stop spinning unless it's off, so not a big deal.

the fans in my TiBook is louder in comparison, which are quiet to begin with..
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Improving your powerbook?

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

Sorry... couldn't resist...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search