The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Know any soft synths that can actually lift a finger to Omnisphere? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

Know any soft synths that can actually lift a finger to Omnisphere?

PRESETwise i mean, before anybody gets upset. I am all about the preset. There are alot of great synths out there that do alot of great things, but to just open a killer sound bank sit down and start playing, and not worry about having to "manufacture" the sound youre looking for, AS FAR AS I KNOW no sound banks pack a bigger punch than spectrasonics. That being said i reeeeally dont want to throw down $800 just for omnisphere and trilian. Maybe there are perfect synths out there for me and i just havent met them yet? i currently use several kontakt instruments, Alchemy, some best service stuff, and have an arsenal of sonivox plugins (which im sad to say IMO sound like crap compared to the others listed). While i WILL add omnisphere and trilian to my collection one day, i can think of a number if things id spend that kind of money on before i throw it down on just 2 soft synths, so if there are any synths i can get that spectrasonics sound quality from for a fraction of the price, please let me know!
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO View Post
PRESETwise i mean, before anybody gets upset. I am all about the preset. There are alot of great synths out there that do alot of great things, but to just open a killer sound bank sit down and start playing, and not worry about having to "manufacture" the sound youre looking for, AS FAR AS I KNOW no sound banks pack a bigger punch than spectrasonics. That being said i reeeeally dont want to throw down $800 just for omnisphere and trilian. Maybe there are perfect synths out there for me and i just havent met them yet? i currently use several kontakt instruments, Alchemy, some best service stuff, and have an arsenal of sonivox plugins (which im sad to say IMO sound like crap compared to the others listed). While i WILL add omnisphere and trilian to my collection one day, i can think of a number if things id spend that kind of money on before i throw it down on just 2 soft synths, so if there are any synths i can get that spectrasonics sound quality from for a fraction of the price, please let me know!

Preset wise, probably nothing. For in-depth editing and just plain old toying around, there are options that are the euqal of Omni.

Cheers.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

Jd-990 :d
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

just get omni and not trillian.

once u have the $$$ get trillian
Old 24th February 2012
Gear nut

In My opinion if you like presets (To be fair who doesn't even used as a learning or starting point it's great to have good presets!) then Specrasonic's are pretty much unbeatable.
A combo of Omnisphere, Trilian and then Alchemy (which you have) loaded with some packs from Simon Stockhausen (if you like his stuff) is an amazing creative combo!
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

I have Omnisphere and have been getting into it the last couple of months. I have to say though its not the presets where the real strength lies. For me a lot of the presets are,.. well basically over tweaked and hard to find use for. Theres a lot of very beautiful patches dont get me wrong. But as for a lot of them, youll find once using it that you cant really help but devolve them back toward being closer to the naked sample (or the sample itself), or the pure synth or wave sound itself in order to tweak the thing off into your own direction. I guess i think that even though you dont intend to spend hours sound designing or coming up with your own patches, the process by which you go about this in omnisphere, is simply too simple and easy to do to ignore. The results too wonderful. A lot of the patches that i find usually have something in them i like but nearly always some detail im not happy with. And so you find yourself stripping the thing back and walking it a different route. Its almost in itself the most natural of processes thats comes about with using omnisphere. I imagine to try living off just the presets an never changing them would get kinda frustrating and quick. The thing pretty much steers you toward patch design.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

the simple answer to the OP is no.

i havent seen a synth so versatile and capable as omnisphere. nothing even close. it's a fantastic tool for creating music.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddfodder View Post
I have Omnisphere and have been getting into it the last couple of months. I have to say though its not the presets where the real strength lies. For me a lot of the presets are,.. well basically over tweaked and hard to find use for. Theres a lot of very beautiful patches dont get me wrong. But as for a lot of them, youll find once using it that you cant really help but devolve them back toward being closer to the naked sample (or the sample itself), or the pure synth or wave sound itself in order to tweak the thing off into your own direction. I guess i think that even though you dont intend to spend hours sound designing or coming up with your own patches, the process by which you go about this in omnisphere, is simply too simple and easy to do to ignore. The results too wonderful. A lot of the patches that i find usually have something in them i like but nearly always some detail im not happy with. And so you find yourself stripping the thing back and walking it a different route. Its almost in itself the most natural of processes thats comes about with using omnisphere. I imagine to try living off just the presets an never changing them would get kinda frustrating and quick. The thing pretty much steers you toward patch design.
pretty much ditto on this.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Guru

Any Virus (hardware or Powercore version).
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

I like what I've seen of virus hardware stuff but again money is an issue. One thing people seem to agree on is that in comparison to its powerful capabilities omni is pretty simple to learn? That's a big plus for me because a lot of the time I miss out on how fun sound design can be due to how complicated it can get for me (alchemy was a hell of a learning curve).
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Addict

I think Eric and the crew did a really nice thing with Omni. They gave back to the music community by making their software both preset ready and more importantly, creatively intuitive.

It's as if they as a team felt an opportunity to both make money (never to be forgotten) while not robbing musicians/producers of the intuitive nature and gratification of building their own patches. It's like they felt guilty just giving users another "ROM-pler" in software form, which would constantly serve merely as a 'quick fix'.

Sure, they could have created Omnisphere in a way that positioned Spectrasonics to simply keep taking peoples money (All kinds of huge patch releases and sample updates every other month that they charged money for) but it is as if they determined that if we are going to make money off of this, let's give something back to musicians/producers so that they can get their 'creativity on' and decided to develop the software in a way that would make it almost irresistible to try patch/preset creation.

You could see them thinking:

'Hey, lets try and make Omnisphere creatively compelling so that we don't have a generation of people constantly on the "Preset handout" line. Let's make it almost irresistible to not 'turn a knob'. Hopefully we can contribute getting people back to improvising rather than always waiting for the new hot 'preset laden' VI/Soft-Synth to come out and get them truly into being creative again'. It's like they were saying "We gave you plenty. Now get out there and create !"

Alchemy and a few others are definitely in the running but in terms of the direct attempt to appeal to the users sense of creativity, I don't think most can touch Omnisphere. It really reaches out to try to get the user off of the 'preset milk' and encourage creativity while still having a nice palette samples/presets in the process.

And to think that I wasn't really that crazy about Omnisphere in the beginning.........
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac
Just order Omnisphere, can't wait to give it a try.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Maniac

For pure preset cheese - reFx Nexus, however the editing on it sux, and I think its rather over priced.

One of these things thats really useful to have if you do alot of work for other people - so you can have loads of cheesy presets on tap etc (and actually for dance music they are pretty good - as a inspriation/statrting point, but like I said - they editing sux).

If you like omnipshere, go for it. Sounds are very editable - also if you have an iPad there a nice remote control app for it. If you add trillian then omnisphere can use the trillian sounds as well.

Depends what sort of sounds you are after. I actually find Sylenth1 to be a really useful synths for presets as well as really easy to edit.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

There are a lot of good synth VI's but if I could only have one it would be Omnisphere hands down. Also while it has an insane amount of presets don't think of it as a preset only synth. You can do some serious programming of your own with it.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Omnisphere

Hands-down my desert island soft-synth.
Some presets are a bit over-processed, true, but it's so easy to get in there and tweak whatever effect is on there, and just general editing or designing your own sounds from scratch.
I personally find the GUI extremely intuitive and easy to navigate, everything is so clearly laid out, it's quite easy to learn, imo.
Lots of great tutorials out there to give you a head start.

By the way, you do get a lot of great Trillian patches with it, so I would hold off on buying both.

Omnisphere would be a bargain at twice the price, it's that good.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

sounds like ill definitely be getting omni this month. anybody own stylus rmx? i heard its geared mainly towards electro
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
sounds like ill definitely be getting omni this month. anybody own stylus rmx? i heard its geared mainly towards electro
Enjoy Omnisphere!

For as much praise as I and many others give it, I have to say Stylus is sounding rather dated these days.
I don't dislike it, it's very powerful and can do a lot, but the stock soundbanks, eeeek!
I just don't use it, much less have bothered to install it on my newer MPB, I just work differently these days.

One thing you could do is import your own rex files, which breathes a bit of new life into it.
Admittedly, it does have some interesting sounds if you want to build custom kits from the snares/kicks/whatever other one-shot banks are available.
I just think that the preset loops/breaks are just so 1999-2002.

If there's one program Spectrasonics could do well at updating, it's Stylus RMX, imo.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Omnisphere pretty much rocks for being able to dial up something nice and easy which sounds unique - especially for ambient/chillout.

Only criticism is that its not that great for tweaking on the main page - eg - the filters are not that responsive.

Overall though, just about as good as it gets
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Head

I appreciated sylus functionality but I'm not pleased with its kits as far as I've heard. I also meant to ask if you can load your own samples in it like you can battery
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I appreciated sylus functionality but I'm not pleased with its kits as far as I've heard. I also meant to ask if you can load your own samples in it like you can battery
Own both Omni and Trillian -- awesome duo.

Stylus sounded too electro to me but seemed powerful enough. IIRC, you can't load a user kit per se, ie, define a separate kick, snare, etc. I think you can only load loops as rex files.

Check out Skippy Lemkuhl's vids on stylus. If those don't sell you on the program then probably nothing will.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Know any soft synths that can actually lift a finger to Omnisphere?
I think Zebra more than lifts a finger to Omnisphere.
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Head

Preset wise I don't know about that. zebra also has a steep lurning curve, but then again I suppose this is all a matter of opinion. My last big question is how is omnisphere in regards to processing power, I hear it requires a significant amount of ram?
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Preset wise I don't know about that. zebra also has a steep lurning curve, but then again I suppose this is all a matter of opinion. My last big question is how is omnisphere in regards to processing power, I hear it requires a significant amount of ram?
Late 2001 Macbook Pro Quad-Core i7: 8GB RAM: 7200rpm 750GB internal drive.

So far I've had up to 8 instances of Omni on a session without a hitch.
Should I encounter any issues, I will usually 'bounce in place' the sounds I'm committed to and move on.
I used to have to do this on my old Macbook until recently, so you can imagine the elation in workflow with this new MBP.
Old 25th February 2012
Gear maniac

Omni does require a pretty decent system to run it on. Although it does offer power saving settings Id still prob think twice about getting it if RAM was an issue. Its a bit of a beast. Im not sure to be honest what would be a recommended minimum to run it well. Ive got 12gig of RAM and an i7 processor and can run 3 full instances of Omni plus others if required. Not that i expect that situation to arise very often. I just thought id see if i could.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to run it with 3.2 gigs under 32-bit Windows XP. Loading more than 4-5 samples would cause memory issues, depending on sample sizes.

But with 8 gigs of RAM under Windows 7, I haven't run into any problems.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Preset wise I don't know about that. zebra also has a steep lurning curve.
True on both counts, but I don't neccessarily judge a synth on presets alone. However, there are some brilliant third party presets availible for Zebra from programmers like Michael Katsrup.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
True on both counts, but I don't neccessarily judge a synth on presets alone. However, there are some brilliant third party presets availible for Zebra from programmers like Michael Katsrup.
Yes, if you want to compare Zebra to Omnisphere on a preset basis you would need to buy a bunch of third party libraries. That said, there are many excellent free and commercial presets and Zebra is less than Omnisphere leaving you with a few hundred dollars left to spend on presets.

If you can afford both I suggest going for both. They have different strengths and are both incredible instruments...

Here are a bunch of free Zebra presets:
Zebra Family Presets

Here are commercial Zebra presets:
U-He Commercial Soundsets
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Hi NSO,

I don't have Omnisphere, but have been a long time Trilogy then Trilian user as well as Stylus RMX

I'm very familiar with Trilian's presets, sound, synth editing and programming aspects, which are similar to Omnisphere,
And my 2 cents here is that Spectrasonics are awesome at factory presets to get you going
Very fast on new ideas and creation in general, with a wide range of simple sounds to very complex
Ones that can help you quickly.

However there are some aspects that I don't like about the Spectrasonics patches and possibilities:
* To me a lot of the synth patches are more aimed towards sound design for film
And TV, rather than music composing, and are kinda locked there, as Spectrasonics has a distinct
Signature sound that is used heavily in Tv+Film( to include Stylus : just browse through the factory sound fx banks on your keyboard and you'll instantly hear CSI and other shows )
* A lot of the synth patches in Trilian also have their own take on the music styles they are advertising, through
Preset names including 'techno', 'club', 'dance' etc...but the fact is, even if I do appreciate the effort
And work put in by their sound designers to appeal to a wide range of electronic music composers around the world,
I do feel that those presets are mimicking those music styles on what they think the synths sound in those
Music genres, rather than actually building sounds that come from these genres.
I think that if they teamed up with a few great electronic music artists, like a house,minimal,electro,dub etc...
Artists to create presets, knowing their high standards, THEN they would probably have killer musician presets,
Sticking out of the crowd.
* Somebody here brought it up earlier in different words : sometimes you ll audition a preset and hear one
Element of effect, layer you want out of it, well...many times you'll get lost trying to figure out where it comes
From or when you've found it and remove, you realize it has taken out much more of the sound than you wanted.
I think that's because the soundbanks are based more upon the samples than the synthesis, and
Often I need to go to great lengths to get the sound I want, like with external audio processing.
So flexibility isn't a strong point here for me.

About Stylus: yes the factory soundbank is dated, but the REX import is just awesome,
so for me Stylus gets a lot of use because of its flexibility, I imported lots of own loops, bought 3d party libs
( Equipped Music, SampleMagic, Xfer )
drumkits ( Goldbabys 909 & 808 = yummy!) and the editing+filters+fx in Stylus can go
way deeper than any drumsampler out there, if you take the time and effort.
Gotta love the chaos & time designer as well, really deep, surprising and flexible!

Now about which softsynth can stick it to Omnisphere, I have Zebra and Diva,
And I must say I've found my 2 favourite softsynths here.

Zebra is just the most flexible, indepth, widerange, quality softsynth I've stumbled on,
and each time I jam through presets I find some that I can use right away and more importantly
Tweak easily and precisely to my liking.
Now it is a huge preset library, and certain banks, which use the properties of Zebra,
Have a pronounced sound that you may like or not, because its so special, but the range of sounds and possibilities
Is a galaxy on it's own.

With the coming of Diva, if you're a softsynth freak you owe it to yourself to at least try it,
Cuz the sound, and since the recent update the awesome preset bank (best ever to me
For any soft synth) is mindblowing.

U-he = king to me in softsynthland

Good luck with your pursuit of the right soft for you!

Best

Nicolas
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I think Zebra more than lifts a finger to Omnisphere.

I think the correct idiom is "hold a candle to":

Quote:
To compare favorably with: This film doesn't hold a candle to his previous ones.
to 'lift a finger' is to contribute minimal effort :

Quote:
Refuse to exert oneself to help or perform an action. For example, Dad won't lift a finger to help them financially
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Closest your gonna get is zebra with all expansions, diva with all expansions or sylenth with all expansions
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search