The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How To Play 24bit WAV Files in Windows Media Player
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

How To Play 24bit WAV Files in Windows Media Player

You probably had problems with playing 24bit WAV files in WMP and this is a simple solution written by Chris P. [MVP]:

First, grab the filter here

Installation and Removal instruction:
Quote:
You will need to copy the AudioTypeConvert.ax file somewhere onto your system and manually register the filter using regsvr32. E.g. if you copy it to C:\Windows\System32 you would use: Start -> Run and then type the following:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

To uninstall type:
regsvr32 /U c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax
Hope it helps!

Last edited by weedmaker; 11th May 2006 at 11:44 PM..
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

thanks so much for posting this!
I have been looking for this solution for a long time, although not actively because im lazy.

now I can play 24bit and 48khz files without opening a sequencer/editor - Excellent
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Winamp plays 24 bit files right out of the box.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Yeh but I dont like winamp :P

does winamp play .mov or .rm files ? (without installing realplayer or quicktime)
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

winamp AND foobar are both phenomenal.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn
Yeh but I dont like winamp :P

does winamp play .mov or .rm files ? (without installing realplayer or quicktime)
For Real media files I use RealAlternative which seems to by and large work great, seems to have a small, unleaky footprint -- and DOES NOT SPY ON YOU (unlike some Real media players from... well... the 'real deal.')

I'd heard good things about Quicktime Alternative -- but IT requires you to uninstall Apple Quicktime and I -- extremely unfortunately -- need Quicktime Pro to deal with the output of my cam.

I was AMAZED to find I couldn't play "Mp4" files in the version of QT Pro I paid $30 bucks for a year or a little more ago -- esp. since Apple was hyping it (v 6.5) as the 'pathway' to Mp4.

But I kept hitting the Update utility and would go check and come back and tell me I was up to date and had all the codecs.

THEN I realized there was a NEW version of QT out (7) and you need IT to play Mp4s.

But to upgrade from 6.5 to 7 would cost me FULL PRICE (!!!). And you can't install the free/nagware limited QT player WITHOUT uninstalling QT Pro.

[NOW, of course, I find out that all versions of Quicktime on both Mac and Windows has a serious security flaw (similar to the ones fixed in WMP and WinAmp a year or more ago) so I really have to watch out for QT media! And -- of course -- QT is so intrustive that it keeps trying to 'grab' media file associations -- I finally had to go into the damn registry and pull out the crap it keeps putting in. IT IS TRULY GARBAGEWARE.]

So I was DELIGHTED to find that VLC media player plays mp4 and other "QT" media really well and has far more playback controls than the crappy QT Pro. (Which, unfortunately, I still need.) Happily, VLC does NOT force you to remove old QT players.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Nut

still works

cool still works on fully updated XP
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Windows Media player 24bit fix

Thank you very much for that Windows Media player fix .. I record using cubase at 24bit .. and it was a drag to keep switching editors just to play a file .... much appreciated

Peter Robinson Arranger:Professional musician
[email protected]
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedmaker View Post
You probably had problems with playing 24bit WAV files in WMP and this is a simple solution written by Chris P. [MVP]:

First, grab the filter here

Installation and Removal instruction:

Hope it helps!
Why are you using Windows Media Player? Pretty out of date and unreliable.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear
Is this fix limited to 24 bit? Or will it aloow 32 or 64 bit audio files?
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alndln View Post
is this fix limited to 24 bit? Or will it aloow 32 or 64 bit auduio files?
this fix is from 2006.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

VLC media player has been my most trusted media player for all codecs. it's a beast. VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

from the website: "Simple, fast and powerful media player. Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams. Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed: MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3... Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix... Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking. Can do Media Convertion and Streaming. "

-how do you like that...completely FREE.
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Addict

My media player does this just fine? Perhaps because this is from 2006?
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholebrain View Post
VLC media player has been my most trusted media player for all codecs. it's a beast. VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

from the website: "Simple, fast and powerful media player. Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams. Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed: MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3... Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix... Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking. Can do Media Convertion and Streaming. "

-how do you like that...completely FREE.
Oh, this looks cool. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks!
Old 22nd May 2012
I'm a tad confused,my WMP,plays my Sonar X1 32bit exports,or 24/48 files,all the time,without converting anything.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Addict

^ Yep like I said above..No problem. I always export 24/48 and then convert to 16/44 with R8brain. I then listen to them side by side in media player..
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

Yep still working on XP SP3 - Very cool. Cheersheh
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedmaker View Post
You probably had problems with playing 24bit WAV files in WMP
Not really, unless you use an OS older than Win 7.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

and what about AIF files, can you play them with wmp ?? and if so, how ??

the last time i went to a friend's studio, i wanted to check some files i had with me, but they didn't work... i think he had Win7...
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine source View Post
and what about AIF files, can you play them with wmp ?? and if so, how ??

the last time i went to a friend's studio, i wanted to check some files i had with me, but they didn't work... i think he had Win7...
Yes, WMP reads AIF files too. Maybe your friend had Vista or XP.

How to Open .aif files - AIFF Format Sound File Extension Information
Old 5th December 2014
Here for the gear

Thank u so much for your knowledge. I could play back 32bit .wav with the internal soundcard, but not with the external. It was fixed by your tip within a minute.
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear

Can somebody still provide me with the AudioTypeConvert.ax file? That would be awesome! The original link from the first post is down and I can't find it anywhere on the net.
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

Windows Media Player also will not play .flac
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

As this thread was started 10 years ago, here are some observations I made a few minutes ago on Win10 Pro with Media Player ver 12.0.14393.206.

In late 2016, Media Player flawlessly opens and plays 24bit, 32bit, 32bit float wav, and 24bit FLAC. I did a fast test with 64bit files and couldn't open those, but the others are fine.
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear

Well I'm still on Windows XP (for compatibility reasons).

But I just found another solution by installing a codec named ffdshow, which solved the problem. I can now play 24 bit files too
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search