The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NI Kore , new Soft Synth System
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

NI Kore , new Soft Synth System

What do you guy's think of this by NI ? Looks interesting .

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kore_us
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry, but I am not at the same position!

This unit is just to control your PlugIns. It is something like a software based software controller, with a hardware unit!

Other words: NI had no idea for a new product, so they built something noone needs at all! heh heh heh

Maybe it is interesting for live performance, but I can control my pluggies without the help of kore!

If these guys wanna do something good, they should improve their Epianos!!!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

i would be happier if they focus their power on deleting hundred of bugs in their existing software, like kontakt. i am sick of new features and updates, i just want something that works flawlessly..
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shangoe
i would be happier if they focus their power on deleting hundred of bugs in their existing software, like kontakt. i am sick of new features and updates, i just want something that works flawlessly..

But that would be logical...
Old 12th May 2006
t_d
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymakestapes
But that would be logical...

no, it would be Logikal.

but, yeah, Kore looks pretty Bore.. the idea is nice.. but, frankly, i have no problems now hosting my soft synths... the search/keyword feature is potentially useful.. but it's only useful if you spend the time to categorize and keyword all of your patches.. which, considering i don't do it in iPhoto for my pictures, probably wouldn't do it for my sounds, either.

and the controller..? i'd hell rather have the new Novation Zero SL or any number of control surfaces with more knobs and sliders than Kore has...

not that i don't like NI.. i'm an avid Reaktor and Absynth user, fantastic programs.
Old 12th May 2006
I think I've found a usefull feature on the Kore that at least I'm interested to check out. For you who has worked with Reason v3 will know what I'm talking about. One of the new features on Reason was the combinator; 'a rack in a rack' they called it. This feature, as I understand it, is one of the reasons of Kore as well. They've arranged for some multi setups for you utilizing a bunch of VSTi's at the same time. Nothing that couldn't be accomplished before, but Kore seems to make it a lot easier?!
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d
the search/keyword feature is potentially useful.. but it's only useful if you spend the time to categorize and keyword all of your patches.. which, considering i don't do it in iPhoto for my pictures, probably wouldn't do it for my sounds, either.
NI will actually do this job for you. I was told by the NI guys that they're actually working on doing the exact same categorizing with Arturia plug-ins that they've done with their own plugs. And other manufacturers will follow.

Though it still remains to be proved by NI.

And yeah, I wish they could release bug free plugs as well. Think it took me 3 months before I could actually run Absynth on my computer after I bought it.
Old 13th May 2006
t_d
Lives for gear

and i will add to my post saying that actually, i do think Kore is good for a live performance situation..

one that perhaps involves all live playing.. as in a keyboardist in a rock band.... with the ability to run Kore as a standalone host (probably more stable that running a DAW live)... with access to piles of synths and layers...

not for me, but i could see it being tremendously useful to some.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think where the NI Kore might be most useful is in standalone operation , the more we rely on one computer to do everything the more useful it might be to buy a second one to just run SoftSynths , the only draw back i have found with doing this with simliar products from Steinberg is that you lose your internal timming and have to rely on midi for the sync , blahh.

The Kore will definately be useful for live situations only if it is rock solid , and a few of you have suggested that NI products are buggy .
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Heard its buggy...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
agreed thumbsup
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Some people will probably like it for the role as a wrapper to use VST and AU plugs in ProTools, whether it's worth the cost I don't know....
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Brainspawn's Forte works great for live performance and it a heck of a better deal.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

When I've needed to have some kind of a plug-in chainer, I've gone with Energy XT. Pretty cheap. I used to use it in Live 5, although I have not yet tried it in Cubase SX3.
I don't see that much of a role with Kore, unless I'm not getting the big picture. If you're going to go with something live, you need to not worry about bugs.
Also, I have some doubts about the durability of the controller (that is if it is the same constructor as Rig Kontrol in Guitar Rig 2).
I also would consider going for such a venture, but the best buy comes if you already own Komplete. I bought Reaktor 5, Kontakt 2, Absynth 3 and GR 2 piecemeal. There seems no way to use those purchases to get a discount on Komplete.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Kore might be quite usable for sound design purposes, but I´d wait a rather long period of time (maybe a year ?) before jumping on the train. IMO NI has lots of innovative ideas, but they release products that are not well thought out and, even worse, have ridiculous amounts of bugs.

Bill
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just picked one up. Thus far...very happy with what I paid for it. Controller for my synths,but more importantly, I can now run my Neuron,Korg,Bass Station, and other VST synths in protools. The new sound search engine is worth the price admission. Simply click for example.... "Bass", "analog" "fat"...and all sounds similar to those pop up across all your synths (that are setup for kore). With new user settings poping up every day, it's a very cool tool.

The next new thing...no....cool piece of gear...yes.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

<< I can now run my Neuron,Korg,Bass Station, and other VST synths in protools. >>

I know the FXpansion wrapper allows use of VSTi's w/in PT, but how does this relate to Kore?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

yah.

it all just seems to me like yest one more thing to make machines crash.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Any users by now? NI sent me an email saying they sold out of the first batch right away. Certainly there must be some users who can report?

j
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

audiomidi.com apparently has 25% off all ni products this weekend, INCLUDING the kore which makes it $375.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Well, I got mine earlier this week, along with Komplete 3. It took 4 days just to register the damn thing (Kore, that is. Lomplete was no problem.)

It's still buggy for me. Lot's of pops and dropouts....and it crashes quite a bit. It's still not compatible with some synths (Spectrasonics) so I would list Kore under "Not yet ready for prime time." Too bad, too.......if they ever get it solid, it's a GREAT idea, much deeper than similar software interfaces out there. I could definitely see foregoing a lot of hardware synths on stage if I ever got to a point where I could really trust this thing. Alas...that time is not yet here.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13
Just picked one up. Thus far...very happy with what I paid for it. Controller for my synths,but more importantly, I can now run my Neuron,Korg,Bass Station, and other VST synths in protools. The new sound search engine is worth the price admission. Simply click for example.... "Bass", "analog" "fat"...and all sounds similar to those pop up across all your synths (that are setup for kore). With new user settings poping up every day, it's a very cool tool.

The next new thing...no....cool piece of gear...yes.
Are you mac or pc user ? The NI stuff usually works much better on pcs from my experience.

Good to hear that you like it I´ll have to wait to jump on the train until it works flawlessly though.

Regards,
Bill
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

I stopped buying/updating NI stuff after I got Absynth 3 (I also have Kontakt 1.5 and B4 #1). They're stuff is just toooooo buggy for me. I get more frustration than inspiration from their products. In theory, their stuff is great. In practice, hmm...

All that said, I've grown weary of softsynths and plugs, in general. I've been putting my $$ into hardware and have had greater satisfaction. What NI's trying to do with KORE is intriguing. But, looks like some more snake oil, in the end.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

I actually just started using Kontakt & so far really like it.
I'm looking for a knob controller, something to control all effect parameters (i.e. filters, delays, etc..).

What is good for this?
Is that what KORE is for?

Otherwise I was considering a Kenton Kontrol Freak or Gmedia Phatboy.

Kontakt itself is pretty cool though man.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

People are returning Kore already.
Check out the NI user Forum.
Another disaster they will do nothing about.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search